New Kindles announced - tablets & ereaders

2»

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,943
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Is it even stricter than with Apple? It makes sense, they sell them relatively cheaply and then want you to buy the content from them, too.
    Far more. Apple still has the best App Store in terms of quality and numbers.

Finally got my Fire HD. It's surprisingly chunky (and heavy for its size) even for a budget model, may be unacceptably so for any type of tablet being released today. It's a handy size but in a big pocket or purse you're going to feel it unlike say the ereaders. The OS seems ok and I picked up the key stuff straight away. Amazon services are built in which is convenient for Prime and ebook customers. No mayday button. Screen is nice. Performance seems good. Still got to try a few things like camera quality but I'm not really bothered about it. App Store is very limited with the Google suite all missing but then I knew that. Surprised to see rival service Netflix of all things in it. Overall, it's a decent enough budget tablet but I'd be surprised if it was top of the tree in the £80-130 range.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex has ordered a HD6 for her daughter - she wants a small tablet for youtube, bit of social networking and occasional book reading. The HD6 seems to fit the bill perfectly ...

It'll be interesting to see what its like.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    My ex has ordered a HD6 for her daughter - she wants a small tablet for youtube, bit of social networking and occasional book reading. The HD6 seems to fit the bill perfectly ...

Watched a YouTube video review of the Fire HD6 last night. For less than £80 and an excellent spec and build quality it looked like a real winner to me. Ok, it doesn't have the ideal 8 inch screen but as a starter tablet you can't go wrong.
    Forum Member

Hmm.. well one thing you'll discover is that there's no YouTube app! :D As I said none of the official Google apps appear to be on the tablet or in the app store. There are third party alternatives but it's messy. Also using the Silk browser, the Google search page itself doesn't default to the tablet friendly version. Instead you get the PC version of Google, which is a bit awkward on a 6 inch screen.

Amazon plays down these limitations so it's worth having a look through the more critical user reviews on their own site now that quite a few people have the device. I ordered the Citron colour version which is why I had to wait.
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Hmm.. well one thing you'll discover is that there's no YouTube app! :D As I said none of the official Google apps appear to be on the tablet or in the app store. There are third party alternatives but it's messy. Also using the Silk browser, the Google search page itself doesn't default to the tablet friendly version. Instead you get the PC version of Google, which is a bit awkward on a 6 inch screen.

Amazon plays down these limitations so it's worth having a look through the more critical user reviews on their own site now that quite a few people have the device. I ordered the Citron colour version which is why I had to wait.

Surely that doesn't prevent you from watching videos on the YouTube site with the HD6?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Surely that doesn't prevent you from watching videos on the YouTube site with the HD6?

Thats what I would have thought; most people don't really care if they access something via an app or via a browser.
    Forum Member
    Thats what I would have thought; most people don't really care if they access something via an app or via a browser.
    Yeah, I did say there were third party alternatives. I don't have it with me at the moment but there's vtube, some sort of gmail client and some sort of maps client and yes there's the browser too. It's just that for many, the apps they know and love from their smartphones aren't there.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

Exactly right, just go to YouTube via the browser. A couple of extra clicks, hardly a deal breaker.

Missed the delivery of my HD6 today, got to wait til Tuesday now :(

Shouldnt really be that bothered as its my daughters Christmas present but I really want to have a good look at it!
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Exactly right, just go to YouTube via the browser. A couple of extra clicks, hardly a deal breaker.

Missed the delivery of my HD6 today, got to wait til Tuesday now :(

Shouldnt really be that bothered as its my daughters Christmas present but I really want to have a good look at it!

Watch this in the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rWuCe6Mjw