BBC Parliament - Archive Genral Election

Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
Forum Member
✭✭
I notice that BBC Parliament are repeating a past General Election this coming Saturday (15th), however neither my BT Vision or Sky+ boxes reveal which one they're showing.

Anybody have any ideas?

My guess is it will be one of the 1974 elections (to put us in the mood for an election on October 14th!!)

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any, it will be the Oct 1974 one, as they showed the Feb 74 one earlier in the year, so I doubt they'll be showing it agian so soon. As BBC Parliament also like to show election re-runs on anniversiaries, I won't be suprised to see the 1970 one turn up next month either.
  • mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think they would be really dull , but start watching and you get strangely hooked in - Fantastic use of archive material.
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItS scheduled from 07:30-23:00. Did the BBC provide 15.5hrs of coverage (that they could easily repeat) in 1974? I thought prior to 1979 coverage was only provided from 10pm to the early hours of the morning with a break until breakfast time? My guess would be a repeat of 2005 given that parliament is now over or since Labour looks to have lost this election, a repeat of 1997 to highlight the end of this particular political era.
  • Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msim wrote: »
    ItS scheduled from 07:30-23:00. Did the BBC provide 15.5hrs of coverage (that they could easily repeat) in 1974?

The original coverage of the Feb 74 election carried on until just before 6pm, so plenty of coverage to repeat!

However, as rightly pointed out earlier, this one was only repeated a few months ago, so either 1970 or October 1974 would be my bet.
  • TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed on BBC Parliament TV schedule as February '74. I'm pleased as I missed it, both in 1974 as I was only 6 and also when it was shown earlier this year ;)

Hopefully they will follow this up in October with the Oct 74 coverage.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching some of the Election '74 coverage and the BBC had a piece with Julian Wilson focusing on the odds and what bets had been laid.

This year Sky got panned for having a similar piece with Jeff Randall, clearly it's been going on for a lot longer than people care to remember!
  • klystronklystron Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ve been dipping in for 5 min every hour or so all day. It’s fascinating stuff .

Shame about the picture disturbance every time they Genlocked to an OB. It was probably OK on the original Quad VT but caused an upset when transferred to D3 or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klystron wrote: »
    Shame about the picture disturbance every time they Genlocked to an OB. It was probably OK on the original Quad VT but caused an upset when transferred to D3 or whatever.

I seem to remember when BBC Parliament first showed this election back in 2003, it was much worse- I guess it's possible they've retransferred it from the original tape with some higher quality TBCs. I could be wrong, of course. I do remember that the 1970 election was even worse, with the picture jumping all over the place every time they cut to a different source.
  • klystronklystron Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I seem to remember when BBC Parliament first showed this election back in 2003, it was much worse- I guess it's possible they've retransferred it from the original tape with some higher quality TBCs. I could be wrong, of course. I do remember that the 1970 election was even worse, with the picture jumping all over the place every time they cut to a different source.

A Beta SP machine would have fixed it.
    Any old rubbish in, perfectly locked pictres out.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    The 2nd GE in 1974. On all day / night.

That's me sorted!:D
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    The 2nd GE in 1974. On all day / night.

That's me sorted!:D

am shocked that some of the outside broadcasts are still in black and white in 1974
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    am shocked that some of the outside broadcasts are still in black and white in 1974

It's the smoking in the studio that gets me.:D
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how we can laugh at some of the predictions now

Heath - there will never be a woman PM (5 years later there was one)
    some mystic - Liberals will be in government by late seventies or early eighties (only 30 years out)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed during the breakfast bit captions coming up saying things like "M-O results on BBC2 now", I'm presuming they were showing rolling full-screen captions of the results, as this was pre-internet and Ceefax was in its infancy, so it would have been the only way at the time for people to easily get the results. Be interesting if there's actually any recordings out there of this!
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I've noticed during the breakfast bit captions coming up saying things like "M-O results on BBC2 now", I'm presuming they were showing rolling full-screen captions of the results, as this was pre-internet and Ceefax was in its infancy, so it would have been the only way at the time for people to easily get the results. Be interesting if there's actually any recordings out there of this!

It was indeed, they did it for both 1974 elections and 1979 as well. Also in at least one of those elections Radio 3 at breakfast time simply read out all the results in alphabetical order for two hours.

As for the black and white, it did take a while to convert everything, and indeed there's half a dozen episodes of Blue Peter from 1974, the latest from June, which were recorded in black and white as there were no other studios available so they had to use one that hadn't been converted. I think they were still making schools programmes in black and white at that time because no schools had colour TVs. And of course the regions would have much poorer facilities, Tyne Tees only had one colour outside broadcast vehicle until 1977 so if they were covering racing for ITV on Saturday they couldn't cover any football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also in at least one of those elections Radio 3 at breakfast time simply read out all the results in alphabetical order for two hours.

I'm sure that was a dream job for whoever drew the short straw that day!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klystron wrote: »
    I’ve been dipping in for 5 min every hour or so all day. It’s fascinating stuff .

It probably wasn't OK, it would have caused the Quad VTR servos to have a fit, and that's why there was picture disturbance, it's 'burnt' into the recording. Of course it was a live programme, so that wasn't an issue during Tx.

Genlocking while playing a VT to air was a big no no in the 70s, as any ITV MCR engineer will tell you.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really did work some long shifts didn't they ? Alistair Burnett ( and Dimbles in subsequent ones ) seem to work an 18 hour shift.

Can't warm to Burnett doing it, he certainly lacks Dimbleby's warmth but Robin Day was class
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really did work some long shifts didn't they ? Alistair Burnett ( and Dimbles in subsequent ones ) seem to work an 18 hour shift.

Can't warm to Burnett doing it, he certainly lacks Dimbleby's warmth but Robin Day was class

Burnet's sombre and excessively formal isn't he? He did election nights for ITN for years both before and after 1974. Richard Dimbleby, Cliff Michelmore and David Dimbleby (the three others who have anchored BBC general election night programmes since they started in the 1950s) were all much warmer.

Michael Barratt covered for Burnet during the breakfast period and he was good fun. He's in for a nice surprise next time he logs in to Twitter - his son and others have been teasing him on there for his appalling dress sense in 1974!

Day is good here but I think he peaked during the three elections he did with David Dimbleby from 1979-87. They seemed to have a very good rapport (lots of jokey bickering), while Day seemed to mellow and become more humorous with age. He was also good with Jon Snow on ITN's election night in 1992.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    I was watching between 8 and 9 on Friday night when the coverage featured calls for Scottish independence and the rise of the SNP, a squeeze on the Liberal vote and the future of the Liberal Party arising from that, and the need to reform the voting system in light of a 4 party split.

And they say politics is completely different today... :D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the earliest general election night they have a recording of is 1955 presented by Richard Dimbleby - it has actually been shown on BBC Parliament (for the record the Tories won).
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Burnet's sombre and excessively formal isn't he? He did election nights for ITN for years both before and after 1974. Richard Dimbleby, Cliff Michelmore and David Dimbleby (the three others who have anchored BBC general election night programmes since they started in the 1950s) were all much warmer.

For me the worst thing Burnet does is when they put results from safe seats on screen and he says "Not much to say about these" or "None of these are particularly interesting", which is rubbish because if it's your seat, it's very interesting. There's a bit in the morning sequence where he hands over to Robin and Robin says "You said some of the things I was intending to say, but no matter, we're on the same programme". Just the fact he doesn't thank Michael Barratt when he takes over from him again makes him seem quite cold.

It's odd, though, because on the Swing Time documentary about the history of eelction coverage which you can see on YouTube (http://youtu.be/wfgeCFWb8KA - do take a look, it's fascinating) they talk about Burnet presenting ITV's coverage in 1964, after their disastrous coverage in 1959, and it was a huge success because he was so engaging. Not so much here, though.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see more of these past elections shown on the channel, far better than just a repeat from the Lords or what not.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was indeed, they did it for both 1974 elections and 1979 as well. Also in at least one of those elections Radio 3 at breakfast time simply read out all the results in alphabetical order for two hours.

As for the black and white, it did take a while to convert everything, and indeed there's half a dozen episodes of Blue Peter from 1974, the latest from June, which were recorded in black and white as there were no other studios available so they had to use one that hadn't been converted. I think they were still making schools programmes in black and white at that time because no schools had colour TVs. And of course the regions would have much poorer facilities, Tyne Tees only had one colour outside broadcast vehicle until 1977 so if they were covering racing for ITV on Saturday they couldn't cover any football.

Schools programmes were mainly made in TC5 which was colourised in 1973.All the TV Centre studios (with the exception of TC2 which had been closed) were colourised by the end of 1973.