Options

Should adverts be banned from being shown on Sundays?

Comments

• Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    "Its the holy day"?

Every single day of the week is a holy day in one religion or another. Fridays for Muslims being one, and Saturdays (the Sabbath) for Jews. Considering how many religions are present in the UK we'd have no adverts on the TV 7 days a week!

As alluded to in Steve9214's post #34
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe (like others here) in 2014 that Religion doesn't belong on the mainstream PSB's (BBC1/ITV and I suppose for this argument Channel 5). These channels should be in my opinion showing types of programming that can be watched by all not just towards one group of people. When it comes to PSB channels, I believe Religious programming should be as an alternative to mainstream programming, this is why I feel this type of programming should be catered for by BBC2/Channel 4 and Religious TV channels.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    We have been restricted too much in the past with religion dominating out choice of what we do on Sundays, thank goodness it is loosing its grip now.

If people want to go to church and worship on a Sunday it is up to them but they must not expect others to want to do the same.

Sunday should be treated as just another day.

As a matter of interest I have known local churches that have been on Songs of Praise who get a congregation that would not even fill half the church up on a good day. Come the TV cameras and they are full to overflowing.

Thats because the churches they use are often just a venue and then they invite people from all over that town to be part of the filming.
    It is more of a performance on that program, nothing like what things are like in a real service (although some churches are quite dead and just do the same dreary monotonous thing every week with no real live anymore!)
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The no-advert day is a bit nonsense,but I don't see any reason to get rid of something like Songs of Praise,I don't watch it myself but it seems quite popular and having it on a mainstream channel once a week doesn't seem much to ask.Though after a couple of blokes at work were on it I was surprised to hear that the singing is dubbed.
    A no soap day would please me more though I accept that can never happen
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's a day, just like any other day.

If you have something going on in your life that makes that day different, then you make it different for yourself; don't inflict it on others for whom the day is nothing special.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    "Its the holy day"?

Every single day of the week is a holy day in one religion or another. Fridays for Muslims being one, and Saturdays (the Sabbath) for Jews. Considering how many religions are present in the UK we'd have no adverts on the TV 7 days a week!

a very good point. although, which religion sets aside Tuesday ?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    These channels should be in my opinion showing types of programming that can be watched by all not just towards one group of people.
    But all channels exclude most viewers, most of the time.
    One might screen a football match. That is only watched by a small proportion of the total population.
    Another might be showing a children's programme. Again extremely limited in it's intended audience.

You can take almost any programme and find a group that forms its (intended) target audience. In fact, you could easily widen the point and say there are entire PSB channels that have programmes designed for specific audiences and by implcation therefore exclude all others. BBC3 would be a fine example of a channel tailored specifically at one group.

The practical point is not that there should ONLY be programmes accessible to all, but that the PSBs should be broadcasting a sufficient variety of programming style, content and sophistication for everybody to find something that engages them, on a regular basis. If that whole range of programme subjects was to include content intended for any or all of the country's major religions, I'd have no problem with that.

I still wait for that day when the schedule isn't dominated by soaps, celebs and sports.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ads were banned/banished from broadcast TV on a Sunday, then by the same token the same rule should apply to other areas such as sporting events (especially televised ones such as Premiership football and F1 motor racing, commercial radio and newspapers.

Which in itself indicates that it would be a silly regulation, one which would turn the clock back many years, close down Sundays and would cause financial harm to many businesses.
  • Options
    lpjthomaslpjthomas Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I remember the now defunct The Wrestling Channel on Sky would occasionally show a music video instead of a commercial break.

I wonder if any other channels would consider that?

Maybe they could show a still caption between programmes along with 15 minutes of Muszak ;-).
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    But all channels exclude most viewers, most of the time.
    One might screen a football match. That is only watched by a small proportion of the total population.
    Another might be showing a children's programme. Again extremely limited in it's intended audience.

You can take almost any programme and find a group that forms its (intended) target audience. In fact, you could easily widen the point and say there are entire PSB channels that have programmes designed for specific audiences and by implcation therefore exclude all others. BBC3 would be a fine example of a channel tailored specifically at one group.

The practical point is not that there should ONLY be programmes accessible to all, but that the PSBs should be broadcasting a sufficient variety of programming style, content and sophistication for everybody to find something that engages them, on a regular basis. If that whole range of programme subjects was to include content intended for any or all of the country's major religions, I'd have no problem with that.

I still wait for that day when the schedule isn't dominated by soaps, celebs and sports.

Though it must be said that Children's TV is already segregated by our PSB's except Channel 5's Milkshake. Unlike Football, Religious programming is likely to be more divisive in that only members of that Religion will watch (Football still tends to pull in rival fans). I believe it is the mainstream PSB channels (BBC1/ITV/Channel 5) that should be helping bring the country of all creeds/colours etc together with their programming while the alternative channels (BBC2*/C4) offer deeper thought. After all BBC1/ITV already tend to only show popular Arts programming, leaving the rest to the other BBC channels and Channel 4 (Last Night Of The Proms is more about being a National event surely?)

* BBC3/4 too?

As for the original post about Advertising bring removed on Sunday...every point against it, I've agreed with so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    No. Sundays are no different to any other day so shouldn't have any sort of special status when it comes to TV adverts.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    I believe (like others here) in 2014 that Religion doesn't belong on the mainstream PSB's (BBC1/ITV and I suppose for this argument Channel 5). These channels should be in my opinion showing types of programming that can be watched by all not just towards one group of people. When it comes to PSB channels, I believe Religious programming should be as an alternative to mainstream programming, this is why I feel this type of programming should be catered for by BBC2/Channel 4 and Religious TV channels.

Itv only show religious programmes at xmas. Cant beat a bit of little donkey on xmas eve
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lpjthomas wrote: »
    Maybe they could show a still caption between programmes along with 15 minutes of Muszak ;-).

Channel 4 used to do that when they first opened up. (Not 15 minutes though).
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Quite an interesting article here.

There was, for example, an instruction from the Postmaster General – the then- minister for broadcasting – that both BBC and ITV services would close down for seventy minutes on a Sunday evening from 6.15 to 7.25.

This was an era when church attendance was much higher than it is today, and regarded as a critical part of the national fabric. It was not felt proper to do anything that might subtract from attendance at the services that all churches ran on Sunday evenings.

Interesting to read that "The Big Question(s)" as now broadcast on BBC 1 Sunday mornings, originated on ITV (though clearly not the same format).
  • Options
    Chris155auChris155au Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    S

4) With stations not having to worry about ad revenue, we would get rare treats on the Sunday. Re runs of soaps, things that we really want to see but money dictates we can't.

I'm forced to ask, are you a middle aged woman?
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    a very good point. although, which religion sets aside Tuesday ?

There's Shrove Tuesday. Mmmmm, pancakes.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be adverts on a Sunday but these should be appropriate for the Lords day. For example, adverts for knitting patterns so one can knit a prayer kneeler. Adverts for one of those magazine things in 426 weekly parts where you can make your own Bible.

The only existing advert that would be permitted is the one with Michael Parkinson where he goes on about saving for your funeral expenses.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple question, should ads be done away with on Sundays.

A few positive reasons why...

1) Its the holy day

2) with ads being shown everywhere 24/7 we stop taking notice of them. This way we would be inclined to take more notice of them

3) one day a week without them would be nice

4) With stations not having to worry about ad revenue, we would get rare treats on the Sunday. Re runs of soaps, things that we really want to see but money dictates we can't.

As someone of strong faith it doesn't bother me at all seeing adverts on a Sunday. I would like to go back to now big supermarkets open on Sunday though as would help small retailers and keep Sunday special for many workers pressured into working for same rate of pay but that it o/t I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    As someone of strong faith it doesn't bother me at all seeing adverts on a Sunday. I would like to go back to now big supermarkets open on Sunday though as would help small retailers and keep Sunday special for many workers pressured into working for same rate of pay but that it o/t I know.

There is an easy way to help workers is to pass a law that everyone (except emergency professions) is allowed to state which day they want off in the week for 'religious' purposes, then employers would have to stick to that!
    Of course that would mean employers having to hire part timers to cover days that say most of their workforce have decided that they wanted off for 'religious' purposes, but Im sure that employers would find people to cover those days.
    In emergency jobs like medical or emergency services ect that have to operate 24/7 the law could state that in normal working conditions that people could get 3 out of 4 of their chosen day for 'religious' purposes off and under emergency conditions that they may be required to work more if there is no other way round the issue.
    This would make it fair for all workers who have a day that they put aside for 'religious' purposes, on top of that though should be that everyone should get 2 days off in a week as standard one being the one for 'religious' purposes the other being one of the employers choosing.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    There is an easy way to help workers is to pass a law that everyone (except emergency professions) is allowed to state which day they want off in the week for 'religious' purposes, then employers would have to stick to that!
    Of course that would mean employers having to hire part timers to cover days that say most of their workforce have decided that they wanted off for 'religious' purposes, but Im sure that employers would find people to cover those days.
    In emergency jobs like medical or emergency services ect that have to operate 24/7 the law could state that in normal working conditions that people could get 3 out of 4 of their chosen day for 'religious' purposes off and under emergency conditions that they may be required to work more if there is no other way round the issue.
    This would make it fair for all workers who have a day that they put aside for 'religious' purposes, on top of that though should be that everyone should get 2 days off in a week as standard one being the one for 'religious' purposes the other being one of the employers choosing.
    That idea would discriminate against atheists as they would be considered perpetually available while the religious have first dibs on particular days.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    As a matter of interest I have known local churches that have been on Songs of Praise who get a congregation that would not even fill half the church up on a good day. Come the TV cameras and they are full to overflowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SD8WcZIfI

You may be too young to remember this..enjoy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That idea would discriminate against atheists as they would be considered perpetually available while the religious have first dibs on particular days.

Its not everyone else's fault that they dont have a particular day for 'their' religion!
    Yes atheism is basically a religion these days, the top atheists should get together and declare a day they want to set aside in the week, even if they dont though there would always be 2 days in the week that atheists would have off just like anyone else.
    There is another way that atheists just agree a day with their employer when they first start, so basically atheists choose a day in the week that they always have off, but they have to stick to it and cant change it unless they suddenly change religion.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand how NOT showing adverts would allow old soaps to be shown.

Can someone please explain the thought process there, please?

I'm assuming that what the OP meant by this is that, without having to concern themselves with ratings to please advertisers, channels could be more adventurous in what they show such as archive material, programming for minorities, taking more risks etc.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that what the OP meant by this is that, without having to concern themselves with ratings to please advertisers, channels could be more adventurous in what they show such as archive material, programming for minorities, taking more risks etc.

this!! :)

We all have things we want to see but for some reason never materialise
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member

Unfortunately the "culture" of any commercial channel is set in stone, so cannot be changed for one day per week.

In the UK we have the BBC, and Channel 4, (although they do have adverts) in the USA they have HBO, and now Netflix which are advert-free. Hence the programs made by these broadcasters are creative, original and edgy.

ITV used to be like Channel 4 in that they did not care what advertisers said, they took risks to get huge ratings, and ratings please advertisers.

Since the "mergers" of the ITV companies into one conglomerate, it is run by "suits" not showbiz entrepenuers like the Grades, Bernsteins etc who actually took chances.

Having a day with no adverts is something a "corporate Suit" would never be able to get their head around.