Week 4: Tim
Week 5: Arjun, Zara, Ricky and Ashleigh
Week 6: Leah
Week 7: Michelle, Simon and Lee
Week 8: Yasmina, Stella and Tom
Week 9: Michelle and Ricky
Week 10: Simon, Lee and Yasmina
Week 11: Ricky

I only bring it up now because I feel like that record may be broken this year. Currently I have my eye on Ella Jade, but Roisin and Katie (particularly Katie) both really seem like contenders for the prize. Anyone else have any thoughts on it? I remember working out the statistics last year - at that time it was Weeks 3 and 6, but Leah's win put paid to that.

Interestingly, on the Digital Spy Apprentice game, every winner has PM'd in Week 3!

Comments

• Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every other week has had a PM who went on to win at some point:

Week 1: Tim and Ashleigh
    Week 2: Yasmina and Stella
    Week 4: Tim
    Week 5: Arjun, Zara, Ricky and Ashleigh
    Week 6: Leah
    Week 7: Michelle, Simon and Lee
    Week 8: Yasmina, Stella and Tom
    Week 9: Michelle and Ricky
    Week 10: Simon, Lee and Yasmina
    Week 11: Ricky

I only bring it up now because I feel like that record may be broken this year. Currently I have my eye on Ella Jade, but Roisin and Katie (particularly Katie) both really seem like contenders for the prize. Anyone else have any thoughts on it? I remember working out the statistics last year - at that time it was Weeks 3 and 6, but Leah's win put paid to that.

Interestingly, on the Digital Spy Apprentice game, every winner has PM'd in Week 3!

Well, considering Susan got investment, you could say that she's technically a winner. ;)

Never noticed this before, actually, but I agree, Katie and Roisin are looking good early on.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    Well, considering Susan got investment, you could say that she's technically a winner. ;)

Never noticed this before, actually, but I agree, Katie and Roisin are looking good early on.

Well yes, but if you're going to use that logic, you could say that Stella technically isn't one, given that she has been pretty much written off by Sugar. I consider the winners to be the people who were told that they won at the end of the series, and that's it, so I don't count Susan.
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also seems to be the case that most of the winners PMed at least twice during the process - only Arjun, Zara, Leah and Tom are the exceptions. Added to that, the ones with 2 PMs to their name are the most common, with only Yasmina and Ricky being PM more often with 3 tasks each.

What I've found in recent series is that the people who have a good (or rather sympathetic) losing PM edit get far - Ricky was a great example of this, and although he didn't win, Neil last year was another one. I can't say for definite that either Felipe or Roisin got that edit (Roisin's was relatively sympathetic but not enough for the edit that I've seen previously), so it will be interesting to see if either Solomon or Ella-Jade get that tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It also seems to be the case that most of the winners PMed at least twice during the process - only Arjun, Zara, Leah and Tom are the exceptions. Added to that, the ones with 2 PMs to their name are the most common, with only Yasmina and Ricky being PM more often with 3 tasks each.

What I've found in recent series is that the people who have a good (or rather sympathetic) losing PM edit get far - Ricky was a great example of this, and although he didn't win, Neil last year was another one. I can't say for definite that either Felipe or Roisin got that edit (Roisin's was relatively sympathetic but not enough for the edit that I've seen previously), so it will be interesting to see if either Solomon or Ella-Jade get that tonight.

I think the two-PM thing is quite likely anyway, as the majority of people who get a long way in the process do it a second time, and there have only been a few people who have had three stints. It makes sense that two out of the four who only managed once were from Young Apprentice, as that had fewer episodes. In fact, not including the finals, not a single candidate from Arjun's series had a second stint (although it is one of only two series in which every candidate got to do it at some point, the other being Series 2).

What is interesting is that six winners were either the last or joint last to manage a task - Michelle, Simon, Lee, Arjun, Tom and Zara. I think this works in people's favour because by that point it's easier to manage, you know people's strengths and there are less people to deal with.

Also, every Young Apprentice winner led in Week 5, though Ashleigh led a different task as well.
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think it's safe to say that no-one got the 'sympathetic' edit tonight :D

So on the week 3 thing - that seems to suggest that neither Roisin or Katie will end up winning. What I'd be interested in is how many of those week 3 PMs got to the final 2 (I know Tom G, Helen and Luisa weren't PM in week 3 so I would be intrigued to see if it really is a bogey week).
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The thing about Week 3/4 is that by that point, the contestants have got the measure of each other and the bad contestants who had the good sense to keep their head down during the chaos at the start and saw other people get eliminated, then get cocky and decide to have a go at PMing and are quickly unmasked. Ian from Series 4 is the best example, along with both Shibby and Melissa from Series 6. They all let other people take the bait at the start and then put their own heads on the chopping block.
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    The thing about Week 3/4 is that by that point, the contestants have got the measure of each other and the bad contestants who had the good sense to keep their head down during the chaos at the start and saw other people get eliminated, then get cocky and decide to have a go at PMing and are quickly unmasked. Ian from Series 4 is the best example, along with both Shibby and Melissa from Series 6. They all let other people take the bait at the start and then put their own heads on the chopping block.

Ian didn't volunteer though, Lord Sugar appointed him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    Ian didn't volunteer though, Lord Sugar appointed him.

And besides, I don't think Ian was too bad in the first two tasks. I seem to recall he was rated as a pretty decent seller in the first task.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    So on the week 3 thing - that seems to suggest that neither Roisin or Katie will end up winning. What I'd be interested in is how many of those week 3 PMs got to the final 2 (I know Tom G, Helen and Luisa weren't PM in week 3 so I would be intrigued to see if it really is a bogey week).

None of the candidates who were PM in week 3 made it to the final 2 (only looking at the version with adults). Week 8 is the best week to be PM in (it gave us 7 finalists), while week 1 is indeed not a wise choice (from series 2 onwards only one person made it to the final 2).

And these were the PM's in week 3 (from high to low; in terms of serie nr.):

- Jordan
    - Natalie
    - Katie
    - Duane
    - Susan
    - Gavin
    - Melissa
    - Shibby
    - Debra
    - James
    - Sara
    - Ian
    - Tre
    - Naomi
    - Syed
    - Jo
    - Matthew
    - Adele

In bold are the PM's for whom that week was their last week due to Sugar pointing his finger at them (at least, out the top of my head).

So, seeing all those names, I think that a curse is probably a bit too extreme, as under the right circumstances a few of them could have made it to the final 2 (some as they were actually quite close in the end and some because of their potential and strange sudden firings).
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it's more likely to happen now. The odds of someone PMing in an early week and going on to win are quite low because there are so many people still left. This year the odds will be slightly longer because of the extra candidates.

Still, someone at the BBC might see this thread and watch out in case it happens this year. It will be another "thing that hasn't happened before" for Dara to talk about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it's more likely to happen now. The odds of someone PMing in an early week and going on to win are quite low because there are so many people still left. This year the odds will be slightly longer because of the extra candidates.

Still, someone at the BBC might see this thread and watch out in case it happens this year. It will be another "thing that hasn't happened before" for Dara to talk about.

Exactly the odds don't change year from year, they are statistically what is known as mutually exclusive meaning that the previous years results don't affect the current year's result. What would affect the out come is if the show was shortened or lengthened to less or more than 12 episodes as the number of episodes is what effects the odds of the PM winning each week which has nothing to do with what has gone before. One of the biggest misconceptions about chance is that in a given amount of turns a certain result is more likely to come up if it hasn't come up in a while if at all when it is going to be exactly the same odds no matter what the result is. Of course if say you are tossing a coin and heads comes up 10 times in a row the chance of getting tails is still 1/2 assuming a fair coin. Of course by 10 times you might start to suspect that maybe the coin is weighted but that is going well off topic. Lecture over :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To clarify, I didn't bring this up because I thought it was likely to happen as it hasn't happened before, as I realise it's all down to chance. I brought it up because I thought that the two ladies who this would refer to in this series have a pretty decent chance of winning. Before tonight, my favourite to win was Ella Jade, and now she's gone I think Katie stands a good chance. But Roisin is up there as well.

I think Solomon got quite a good edit. He chose a different YouTube person to promote them to the one that the team wanted, but in the boardroom it appeared that his decision had been the right one.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point taken. Katie does seem quite switched on and showed her strength last week and this. However, unlike Katie, Roisin didn't understand about maximising margin, a task you'd expect an accountant to excel at. Her statements on the BBC website are rather contradictory. You don't take calculated risks by listening to your instincts. Unless she has as yet unseen talent I can't see her winning.

Solomon did well this week, and I think Mark is very competent too. Most of the joke candidates have gone already. So there are a number of potential winners who didn't PM last week. I think Week 3's record is safe this year. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None of the candidates who were PM in week 3 made it to the final 2 (only looking at the version with adults). Week 8 is the best week to be PM in (it gave us 7 finalists), while week 1 is indeed not a wise choice (from series 2 onwards only one person made it to the final 2).

What was the point of saying 'only looking at the version with adults'? None of the Young Apprentice candidates who led in Week 3 made the final two either, so it makes no difference whether you include it or not.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    What was the point of saying 'only looking at the version with adults'? None of the Young Apprentice candidates who led in Week 3 made the final two either, so it makes no difference whether you include it or not.

Maining that I didn't check those series (so, I made that statement to make clear which series my research was about).
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Exactly the odds don't change year from year, they are statistically what is known as mutually exclusive meaning that the previous years results don't affect the current year's result.

I think you meant to type 'statistically independent' instead of 'mutually exclusive'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I think you meant to type 'statistically independent' instead of 'mutually exclusive'.

Yup, as you might tell I don't use statistical language much any more and so am a bit rusty :p