Options

Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Why is it funny or entertaining to offend to people.

Well, there's nothing funny about being offended but nothing significant about it either.

Some people find things funny that others find offensive. I simply don't believe that one group's offence outweighs the other's enjoyment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave it another go this week. Bored of AIDS and cancer jokes now. Won't be watching again.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed Frankie on MTW and some stand up. His book I am currently reading is funny.

However after watching a few weeks of this I am starting to feel a bit wierd about watching this. Its like witnessing a vile obsessive.

Its tipping point creepy now.:(

Im not shocked by the content but slightly uncomfortable with the sketches, Like a psychiatrist witnessing a patients mind unravelling to reveal a real person in a real world with a fixation problem.

Sorry Frankie , you can do better .:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just really bad comedy, quite aside from whether it's 'offensive' or not.

Frankie just isn't very good at it. He should stick to the lame panel shows he's good at.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The joke he made to a large audience member about someone beside them having been taken into their 'orbit' was virtually identical to a comment he made in one of the other episodes.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL!!!!!

C4 must be sick of emails from OFCOM!!:D

And what will Ofcom do? Absolutely nothing at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the whole thread so sorry if repeated what's been said.
    I thought it was pretty shit, bit bored of Frankie Boyle. a lot of the gags i've seen from his live shows, the final joke he said to the boy in the audience about mermaid in loft was a repeat from one of the gigs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the whole thread so sorry if repeated what's been said.
    I thought it was pretty shit, bit bored of Frankie Boyle. a lot of the gags i've seen from his live shows, the final joke he said to the boy in the audience about mermaid in loft was a repeat from one of the gigs.

All the jokes will be on his DVD

All comedians do it.....
    Taster of the DVD on TV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    The more I see of Frankie Boyle, the more I just think he's just a bit sh*t, really. He some comedy instinct, as I saw him make one good joke off the top of his head in the first episode, but he mainly just relies on shock humour, which gets pretty boring after a while if you're not easily shocked. It's schoolboy stuff. Oh, and his sketches are mainly abysmal.

This series has greatly underlined his limitations, more than anything.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ricky Gervais is a big steaming turd, Frankie Boyle is that horrible splash back.

Yuck!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »

I'm interested in which way they'll jump on this, but in any case even if they find against them, I'd find it highly unlikely they'd fine channel 4, it'd be fining Peter to pay Paul, so presumably the worst 4 will get is a telling off, which would have all the impact of puppet Hans Blix telling off puppet Kim Jong-il in Team America.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    This show doesn't shock me. It just bores me. One AIDS joke fails to raise a smile so several is hardly going to do the trick either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its much like 95% of comedy at the moment a bit hit and miss, a few good laughs but alot of stuff that misses the mark.

i will keep watching as its not like theres anything better out there at the moment.
    stonegiant wrote: »
    Well, there's nothing funny about being offended but nothing significant about it either.

Some people find things funny that others find offensive. I simply don't believe that one group's offence outweighs the other's enjoyment.

this
    DVDfever wrote: »

lets hope so, the daily mail has already made the bbc scared of its own shadow over a nothing incident.
    also a fair light hearted poke at holmes seem to send them to there knees.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many offensive stories does he tell about his own partner and children? If he believes that there are no boundaries to what can be told then he should not be censoring himself as he must have plenty of material about their problems and weaknesses.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Watched a little bit of this last week, and tried it again last night (I've never seen his stands up, or anything else).

I thought it was pretty shite to be fair - Cheap humour, bad taste, and every joke, and sketch, seems to scream 'oooh look how controversial we're being'

It's all just abit desperate, and totally unfunny, in my humble opinion.

Plus, for me, this guy doesn't have the charm, or likability, to be so mean, and cutting, and just ends up coming across as a miserable, spiteful, tool.

I won't be tuning in again, or looking out for his stand ups.
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be arsed watching this any more as he comes across as just out to shock. If a comedian is both very funny, clever, and has the odd offensive joke in there it's worth it. But Frankie just throws out as many sick jokes as possible in desperate fashion. That's not comedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many offensive stories does he tell about his own partner and children?

None? What makes you think it's not just made up?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the guy in small doses, after a while his material does become overly offence on some level or other so great on Mock The Week but I could not do an hour of the guy plus he repeats his material a lot.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Anybody who's had to watch somebody lose their life to cancer knows that cancer is in no way shape or form funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many offensive stories does he tell about his own partner and children? If he believes that there are no boundaries to what can be told then he should not be censoring himself as he must have plenty of material about their problems and weaknesses.

How is this relevant to my point?

As it happens, he does tell 'offensive' jokes about his own partner and child. It doesn't matter. The point is he makes jokes he thinks his audience will laugh at, irrespective of the subject. The rest of us should just watch something else.

I have no respect for people who bleat to Ofcom. They are like book burners to me. I'm a grown up. I don't need someone else telling me what I should or shouldn't be entertained by.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen K Amos likes him, hes found someone even less funny than him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure about this guy, sometimes he's funny others he's downright offensive. I could live without it to be honest
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is this relevant to my point?

As it happens, he does tell 'offensive' jokes about his own partner and child. It doesn't matter. The point is he makes jokes he thinks his audience will laugh at, irrespective of the subject. The rest of us should just watch something else.

I have no respect for people who bleat to Ofcom. They are like book burners to me. I'm a grown up. I don't need someone else telling me what I should or shouldn't be entertained by.

Spot on.

Everybody knows what kind of a comedian that Boyle is.

If people are easily offended, they should NOT watch him; simple really.

Along with his notoriety, C4 also warn viewers that might not know that some of the comedy they're about to see might be deemed offensive to some.

I like Frankie Boyle & I like to watch him, so I don't want to be dictated to by people who don't even like him.

Watch something else & leave Boyle for those that do like him,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Anybody who's had to watch somebody lose their life to cancer knows that cancer is in no way shape or form funny.

I lost my grandmother to breast cancer 21 years ago. And when he said what he said about what breast cancer sufferers should be doing instead of riding their bike across the Great Wall of China, I couldn't stop laughing!