Options

The Thick Of It - new series

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    He's the same character - just moved from the Mail to politics (maybe he's an Andy Coulson character).

ohhhhhhhh god, that's confused me even more! editor at the mail moving to a position with the (assuming - although as pointed out the parties are never referred to by name) lib dems? :D if i missed it, i'll take it back, but it would've been a lot less confusing if they'd make some kind of passing reference to his previous job/appearances... but maybe i'm just weird for remembering who he was in the specials, haha

and peter mannion and his lot are definitely meant to be tory, but up until this new series he's been IMO one of the most sympathetic/good characters, so it's not as black-and-white as "left = heroes, right = bad guys" (thankfully - and i say this as a liberal lefty type)
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it but can't wait to see Malcolm Tucker in opposition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mannion is basically Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the opposite of omnishambles is, that was it. Masterful stuff.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but it will be ten times better next week when Peter Capaldi and Rebecca Front are back. They make this show for me.

:cool:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Mannion is far too poorly dressed to be a Tory.

Have you seen Boris or Ken Clarke recently? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but it will be ten times better next week when Peter Capaldi and Rebecca Front are back. They make this show for me.

:cool:

Agreed - I need Nicola Murray back in my life!

I thought the ep was good - but it did feel like it was missing something. Not sure I like it when it just focused on the new Tories in government - I think the Labour characters they'd established are much funnier.

Peter Mannion doing his press call at the school, and then commenting that Charlotte was an 'easier name' was great :D
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And with Nu Labor it is hard to tell the difference between their privileged background, public school educated pink toffs and the real deal. In this case Mannion is far too poorly dressed to be a Tory.
    That's because Stewart tries to redress him, prompting the line, "shall I have my flies undone and let the old chap flap out? "
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,476
    Forum Member
    Loved it. Was unsure when I heard that there was no Nicola or Malcolm in this episode, but actually I enjoyed the contrast. It was slightly less absurdly angry than the old lot, but just as good. The sniping between the coalition partners was inspired, and I love the bizarre meditation and business-speak of the spin doctor. It would be so easy to make him a knock-off version of Malcolm, but they were brave enough to do something different: "I usually reserve this level of anger for flying Ryan Air!"
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Drinking champagne in the middle of the day, who do you think you are, P Diddy!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Don't think there was anything new about tonight's episode, we've seen it all before, and it was written by Will Smith not Armando Ianucci, is he still writing the series or too busy with VP?
    I agree. There were still some great lines but I was expecting more.
    Looks like it will be better next week though.
  • Options
    artstuartstu Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Yes, it was a slow start relatively but I trust Armando to build up the momentum now we're eased into the series.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's episode. I'm looking forward to the next one with Malcolm Tucker! :D
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Next week's episode is written by Simon Blackwell apparently.

Looks like Ianucci is too busy to write it.
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So pleased this is back. Peter Capaldi usually gets the best/most memorable lines, so last night's Tucker-less outing could have fallen short of my expectations, but I really enjoyed the first ep fleshing out the coalition running of DoSAC. Mannion and his flunkies were just as good as we have seen before and I loved seeing more of the dynamic between Mannion and Stewart. Next week will be interesting as the more 'well known' characters adjust to the power shift. Ben Swain and Dan Miller look like they are featuring, and I would love to see more of the Steve Fleming/Malcolm Tucker duels but that is just wishful thinking on my part - they were great scenes between those two characters. Not sure what my favourite line from last night was, but the 'Ryan Air' and 'P Diddy' lines certainly made be laugh out loud.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    and I love the bizarre meditation and business-speak of the spin doctor. It would be so easy to make him a knock-off version of Malcolm, but they were brave enough to do something different: "I usually reserve this level of anger for flying Ryan Air!"

He was already there in the last series, I think :confused:
  • Options
    artstuartstu Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the series [it's nice that there's something decent on telly :) ]. However I do find it depressing to think that there's probably more than a hint of truth to the series. I really do feel that our politicians are that idiotic in real life!
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah he's been there since they introduced the Tories.

He was my favourite character last night. He's a great actor too. Took me almost until the end of series 3 of Twenty Twelve to realise he's in both shows. :o:D

Agree completely. I also loved Twenty Twelve and Vincent Franklin is excellent in both shows. Stewart Pearson's line "Knowledge is Porridge" is a classic :D
    artstu wrote: »
    Love the series [it's nice that there's something decent on telly :) ]. However I do find it depressing to think that there's probably more than a hint of truth to the series. I really do feel that our politicians are that idiotic in real life!

Again it feels like we are being treated now this is back on, and I feel part of a select band of viewers that 'get' this show - as it isn't really mainstream and doesn't seem to get the fanfare that other shows receive. Plus I only saw the later BBC HD showing, so even more of a select 'club' most likely in terms of viewers. I really do think that MP's are that daft and literally need everything doing for them which is why I only like the MP's in this show!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I say to my mates have you seen it. It's a reality type comedy about politics.

Instant disregard for it.

They just don't know what they're missing ;)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah he's been there since they introduced the Tories.

He was my favourite character last night. He's a great actor too. Took me almost until the end of series 3 of Twenty Twelve to realise he's in both shows. :o:D

OMG! I've only just realised! He is a great actor, the two parts are so different

:-)
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artstu wrote: »
    Whatever would give you that impression? ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqiFr0uppVk&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it when Malcolm was swearing his head off, and I also like this slightly less sweary version. It points up the comic nature of coalition government (where politicians who loath each other are forced to work together) in just the same way that it pointed up the madness of NuLabour's spin obsession.
    And I fancy Terri.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! I've only just realised! He is a great actor, the two parts are so different

:-)

He's in the Training Day episode of The Office too.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's got to be a fake site!!
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Only just caught up with my recording

Very good :) Can't wait for next week with the other characters back in it