Victoria Coren - Only Connect.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Oicho ThrowOicho Throw Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I suppose people like you would prefer everything to be argued to moderation.

Hahaha, that's probably the most brilliant thing you'll ever say in your life, for so many reasons.
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got into watching Only Connect for the last series and subsequent 'specials' and was initially perplexed at the 'lack' of studio audience, but now I am used to watching, it would now seem awkward if there was any kind of studio audience reaction to Victoria or the teams. They are far too intellectual to be judged by a studio audience of mere mortals :D I like Victoria's sarcastic delivery and wish it was shown in HD to fully enjoy her 'presentation' :D
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's married to their ringleader, and to date has made appearances on Q.I, Have I Got News For You, Opinionated, Would I Lie To You, You Have Been Watching and The Bubble. So she's hardly some paragon of showbiz uniqueness, she's yet another glad-handing semi-talent whose main skills are a willingness to schmooze and the ability to make banal observations in a faintly incredulous voice. Oh, and a tolerance for the world of mental illness that is high stakes poker, I suppose.

As for the jokes on Only Connect...urgh. I get that it's the show's whole "thing" that it's deliberately pretentious and oh-so-knowing, dahling, but I really wish they'd all just **** right off. I generally just fast-forward between the questions, finding every other aspect of it totally intolerable. A bunch of wanky-tank Guardianistas playing at having any kind of introspection, y'all.

I would have thought pretentious would be right up your alley seeing as you absolutely wreak of it yourself.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I think Vic's just great and suits this program just fine. I reckon that those that don't find her "jokes" funny just don't understand her type of humour. That's OK.
    It's a dry wit, worthy of some tumbleweed to blow gently across the set :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hahaha, that's probably the most brilliant thing you'll ever say in your life, for so many reasons.
    And you're the one complaining about Victoria being "intolerable" ?
    Care to leave out your stupid comments?

Oh, and how many usernames have you had now? Must be running out by now ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really doesn't, though. It's basically "Have you heard of these things?", same as any other quiz show, except with the gimmick being a veneer of pseudo-ironic intellectual pretention and letting on contestants who're probably not personable enough for your more mass-market productions.

Except, as you have so aptly demonstrated, some people are actually taking that veneer at face value. Just because the presentation is a bit staid and there's cellos in the intro theme doesn't make it any more "intelligent", fella.

Now, as for your bizarre little ad hominem, I feel you are missing the following:

1) The X-Factor, although populist, is not necessarily an "unintelligent" show. There's little intellectual rigour, but it's not designed for that. It's supposed to provide human drama and a bit of singing. While I don't like it, and find the money machine powering it a bit alarming, I can see the appeal. And I know plenty of well brainy scientist types who charge home from the lab to get on the couch in time for it.

2) You also assume, quite incorrectly, that the only reason I dislike Only Connect is because I am a bit fick. While this may or may not be true [me am bit dim sometimes, like], there are many reasons to like or dislike a show, quite aside from understanding it. For example, I understand American Horror Story: Asylum, but find the cinematography jarring enough that I can't watch it. I don't really 'get' the works of David Lynch, but still enjoy them. And so on and so forth.

3) Assuming however, for the sake of argument, that X-Factor represents "thick" and Only Connect represents "brainy", disliking one does not mean I automatically like the other. This is, as I previously outlined, a False Dichotomy, distressingly prevalent in modern discourse but by no more valid for it.

There, that's you told.

Ya think? Your post only made one person look like a knobhead and it wasn't the person you were replying to :)
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    Ya think? Your post only made one person look like a knobhead and it wasn't the person you were replying to :)

Totally agree.

And the show isn't just about 'knowing things'. It involves a lot more lateral thinking than that.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was quite pleased with it. I felt it worked on many levels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I know plenty of well brainy scientist types who charge home from the lab to get on the couch in time for it.

Do they tell you this before they put you back into your padded cell ? :D
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    They should put canned laughter on a few episodes, just for a laugh :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    I think Vic's just great and suits this program just fine. I reckon that those that don't find her "jokes" funny just don't understand her type of humour. That's OK.
    It's a dry wit, worthy of some tumbleweed to blow gently across the set :cool:
    The tumbleweed moment is part of the joke. ;)

The whole show doesn't take itself too seriously. eg They introduced the Egyptian hyroglyphs after comments that the original greek letters were highbrow and pretentious. :)

And anyway VC is fit - some of the tops she wears make it very hard to concentrate on the quiz at times!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    And anyway VC is fit - some of the tops she wears make it very hard to concentrate on the quiz at times!

It's quiz?!?!?!

The tumbleweed after the jokes are part of the charm of the show. A knowing wink.