Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Roger Grove is the most odious man, willing to ruin the lives of two women to satisfy his own selfish wants. At least Harry has some redeeming character traits.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can there be another series to this?

Did this one follow real life at all and so is there more to his story?
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He lived into his nineties. There's plenty of mileage left!
  • Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed this series, I'm sure they'll be another one. Sunday nights won't be the same.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susie-R wrote: »
    I've enjoyed this series, I'm sure they'll be another one. Sunday nights won't be the same.

That's a light understatement!

Tonight has seen:

The final of Dancing on ice.
    The last in the short series of Top Gear
    The last of Mr Selfridge
    and the last ever episode of Being human.

Next Sunday has been cancelled!
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I think it has to be Doris and Mr. Grove. I think marriage proposals were a bit quicker in the 'good ol days' and I don't think Mr. Grove has children. Maybe the death of his wife and the kind nature of Doris has mean't that a family has come to the front of his mind ? Miss Mardle can't have children as she has gone past her child baring years.

How old is she though? I'm guessing about 40, mind you whilst it may be common for women that age to have babies nowadays, I suppose then it was extremely rare.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see another series. Harry, his mother, and his wife are, I understand, buried in Highcliffe, Dorset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: O...M...G Roger Grove, if he'd said those things to me then I would've slapped that bastard across the face!:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which king was that - Edward the 7th or George the 5th?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edward VII.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I loved every minute of that. Pleeeeaaaase give us a second series. I want his wife to come back and I want to see the horrible painter get his comeuppance and I want Miss Mardle to find happiness and lots of other things. I will really miss it. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Well I loved every minute of that. Pleeeeaaaase give us a second series. I want his wife to come back and I want to see the horrible painter get his comeuppance and I want Miss Mardle to find happiness and lots of other things. I will really miss it. :(

And Agnes & Victor get married.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happens to Ellen Love?
    Harry has a word with some of his chums from Chicago
    You never see Mr. Grove and Vincent Van Gogh in the same room.

http://www.schemegoblen.ro/img/Vincent-Van-Gogh.jpg
    But Roger does have 2 ears

There is no evidence that Selfridge was a womaniser
    k9fan wrote: »
    Edward VII.
    Yes. George did not have loads of girlfriends.

I have heard that the BBC are to set a similar series in the Black Country called Mr Hooty

Unsung hero and perfect employee....Mr Crabb
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress that plays Miss Mardle is 38.
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Plenty of juicy stuff for a second series:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269266/The-saucy-sisters-ruined-Mr-Selfridge-As-ITVs-period-drama-hots-plots-half-racy-REAL-story-.html

Seems the real life Ellen Love was a French singer who sang in her undies!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? How come there's debate on here about whether we're getting another series? I thought the Guardian had said that a 2nd series had been commissioned.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Huh? How come there's debate on here about whether we're getting another series? I thought the Guardian had said that a 2nd series had been commissioned.

Gregory Fitoussi / Henri Leclair has tweeted there is series 2 and he will be back too.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gregory Fitoussi / Henri Leclair has tweeted there is series 2 and he will be back too.

Ah right. I knew I had posted an article from the Guardian in this thread a few weeks back saying there would be another one!
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the finale episode of the series?

That sort of petered out pathetically didn't it.

I can't stand Victor and Agnes - why did you leave Henri (though I can't say I blame you).

I would have slapped Mr Grove round the face, in public. She was far far too nice and forgiving to him. I'd be extremely tempted to tell Dorothy - she's sweet and deserves much better than him.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see that young Gordon did not go to Chicago. He's gone to live at Broadchurch.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Yes - it was a bit odd at the end the announcer didn't say 'Mr Selfridge will be back next year'. As you saw the Guardian said last month it would be back - with the story moving forward to 1914 and WWI (so plenty of time for Henri to have done his time in New York and come back). Might lose some plot continuity though with the shop floor romances?

I thought it was a ratings success - compared to Dancing on Ice (which was definitely confirmed as coming back).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/08/mr-selfridge-second-series-itv
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I missed it...whose bed was HS climbing out of in the beginning?

Oh dear...poor Miss Mardle. That was rather a dirty trick by Grove.
    And then to ask her to be his mistress still? That was disgusting. I thought he was turning over a new leaf, so to speak.

Mr. Crabbe curtsying was worth the whole season, lol.

The play was very cruel...no need to bring the wife and mother into it. Seems that was Frank's doing, which was terribly petty and vengeful, for the slight from Harry. Harry deserved the ridicule, but families were supposed to be exempt. Crabbe is the true gentleman of the show. Can't say I felt sorry for Lady May. Poor Mrs. S. was looking quite ragged.

How is a big red and gold crown in the window subtle, lol?

So it ends with Harry and his mother, alone once again.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved everything about this series. Thank you to everyone involved with everything about it. One of the best ever!
  • fuzzybintfuzzybint Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with last night's final show. I've loved this series. The casting, the history, the sets, the costumes, the story lines, everything. Such a shame it won't be on next Sunday. Such escapism with a sprinkle of reality thrown in. Can't wait for the next series.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    That's a light understatement!

Tonight has seen:

The final of Dancing on ice.
    The last in the short series of Top Gear
    The last of Mr Selfridge
    and the last ever episode of Being human.

Next Sunday has been cancelled!

And the brillilant Call the Midwife finished last night until next year.:(