Some fantastic page turners I really can recommend

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
Forum Member
I have had the pleasure of reading some fabulous books lately that I can highly recommend. After being disappointed by some very well known authors, I decided to start choosing my books ignoring the author name and just going by the title, cover, blurb, and 'look inside'. I don't take much notice of reviews as I find so many of the glowing ones are false, as well as some 'hatchet job' or just plain stupid one star reviews.

The kind of books I like are fast paced page turners that tend to be of the thriller genre. So if you like these too, the following books were fabulous reads in my opinion:

'Eeny meeny' by M J Arlidge www.amazon.co.uk/Eeny-Meeny-Helen-Grace-Dci-ebook/dp/B00GK8RV3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993413&sr=1-1&keywords=eeny+meeny+by+m+j+arlidge
It's about a serial killer who kidnaps people in pairs and leaves them without food and water trapped in various deep sided containers such as a disused diving pool. They have a gun and a mobile phone which is pin locked. They are told by telephone (once they have recovered consciousness after being drugged) that only one of them will be allowed to escape; the one who murders the other!

'What Laura Saw'. My second great read from Sarah King.
www.amazon.co.uk/What-Laura-Saw-Sarah-King-ebook/dp/B00LYB6HSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993833&sr=1-1&keywords=what+laura+saw
It's about a woman who has a phobia of telephones and she goes to a hypnotherapist for treatment. However, this unleashes a series of scary events. It's a real mystery. You don't know if the main character is mad or if she's really seeing a ghost. It's a murder mystery and a love story, with one of the most multi-layered female characters I have come across. Trouble is, since reading it I have been scared of driving on my own in the dark, so be warned.

And last, but not least, 'The Memory box' by Eva Lesco Natiello.
www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-Box-Eva-Lesko-Natiello-ebook/dp/B00LAI2SV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993922&sr=1-1&keywords=the+memory+box
Now this book is an unusual one for me to read because it is told mainly in the present tense, and I don't normally like this. But I can forgive the author because it really is a totally original and riveting book to read. I hope I am not posting too much of a spoiler, when I say that the main character really is completely crackers. Not very nice to her husband and rather self centred I felt. But the story is just SO intriguing! It's about a woman who googles herself and finds out something quite horrifying.

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Thank you for posting this, I've just been looking for something gripping to read. I'm going to start with What Laura Saw.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks is a book that certainly gets you hooked. The first time I read it I was up until 2:30am, even though I had work the next day. :D

The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury is a terrific read. It is actually a factual account of the conflict between science and the Church, yet is written in a way that makes it pan out like a gripping novel. I really can't recommend it highly enough and it's very educational at the same time. Next time you visit the Natural History Museum you'll feel like throwing eggs at the statue of Richard Owen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Thank you for posting this, I've just been looking for something gripping to read. I'm going to start with What Laura Saw.

That's a nice fast-paced, creepy read. I hope you enjoy it.
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks is a book that certainly gets you hooked. The first time I read it I was up until 2:30am, even though I had work the next day. :D

The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury is a terrific read. It is actually a factual account of the conflict between science and the Church, yet is written in a way that makes it pan out like a gripping novel. I really can't recommend it highly enough and it's very educational at the same time. Next time you visit the Natural History Museum you'll feel like throwing eggs at the statue of Richard Owen.

I keep looking at 'the Wasp Factory. It is only that it is over £4 that puts me off. But so many people have recommended it now that I might just buy it. May download the sample first and see if it grips me. :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep looking at 'the Wasp Factory. It is only that it is over £4 that puts me off. But so many people have recommended it now that I might just buy it. May download the sample first and see if it grips me. :)
    Simply read the preview page on the Amazon website. £4 would have seemed ridiculously cheap for a paperback version.

It's good value, because I absolutely promise you that as soon as you've finished it you will be compelled to read it all over again... immediately :D
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought Eeny Meeny a while ago, and haven't got round to reading it yet, so I'm happy to see you recommend it, OP.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Simply read the preview page on the Amazon website. £4 would have seemed ridiculously cheap for a paperback version.

It's good value, because I absolutely promise you that as soon as you've finished it you will be compelled to read it all over again... immediately :D

That's done it, I am definitely going to get it now. :D
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I bought Eeny Meeny a while ago, and haven't got round to reading it yet, so I'm happy to see you recommend it, OP.

Well be warned, you won't be able to put it down once you've started. :)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Run" by Douglas E. Winter. Unputdownable!
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting OP - I'm going to try all of those, starting with 'The Memory Box'.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    "Run" by Douglas E. Winter. Unputdownable!

Thank you! Another one to add to my list. :)
    luckylila wrote: »
    Thanks for posting OP - I'm going to try all of those, starting with 'The Memory Box'.

Hope you enjoy it!
    Forum Member
    I could kick myself, I saw The Wasp Factory in a charity shop for £1.50 and didn't buy it. I'm going to call in on the way to work this morning and see if it's still for sale. I bet it isn't though. :cry:
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I've added what Laura Saw onto my wishlist
    Forum Member
    I've added what Laura Saw onto my wishlist

It starts off with a bang and then is quite slow for a couple of chapters, but this sort of lulls you into a false sense of security before things start to unravel for the main character. I found the book creepy but very moving as well.
    Forum Member
    I could kick myself, I saw The Wasp Factory in a charity shop for £1.50 and didn't buy it. I'm going to call in on the way to work this morning and see if it's still for sale. I bet it isn't though. :cry:

Did you get it?
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoy it!

I've just picked it (The Memory Box) up from the library today (audio version). I listened to the first 10 minutes on the way home and I'm hooked already! :)
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read What Laura Saw based on this recommendation and it isn't bad.
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    I read What Laura Saw based on this recommendation and it isn't bad.

Glad you liked it. I couldn't put it down. I've just read another fantastic book. It is one that has been out a while and is about to be made into a film with Nicole Kidman as the lead. It's 'Before I go to Sleep' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-I-Go-Sleep-Watson-ebook/dp/B004TSXUWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1408179031&sr=1-1&keywords=before+i+go+to+sleep
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently discovered Sarah Rayne. I would highly recommend her books. Fast page turners with a lot of creepy moments thrown in.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently finished Elizabeth Haynes's novel, Into the Darkest Corner.

It revolves around three timelines: before, during and after the trial of protagonist Catherine's former boyfriend, who almost killed her during a beating.

Although the jumping between three timelines was initially confusing, the story was compelling enough to drag me into Catherine's oft-claustrophobic world easily.

At times I didn't understand how could Catherine be so blind when author Haynes did her best to portray the former boyfriend as a smooth piece of scum, but that eventually didn't matter because the heart of the story was found in Catherine's struggle to overcome the oft-destructive psychological aspect of her recovery and severe form of OCD.

It's truly a dark tale, bordering on messing with my mind sometimes. I occasionally had to put it down for a breather, but Haynes's writing had me going back for more. Not bad for a debut novel.
    Forum Member
    Just read a couple more gems, Watching over you, an erotic thriller (warning: has graphic sex scenes). I loved it. And I think I may have already mentioned 'Before I go to Sleep'.

I generally enjoyed 'into the Darkest Corner' but found myself skipping over a good proportion of the book as it had unnecessary filler and the OCD scenes I felt were over done and over repeated (I do see the irony in what I am saying here!). But the general story was a very good one. I just feel that it could have easily lost 200 pages and not been any the worse for it.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I recently finished Elizabeth Haynes's novel, Into the Darkest Corner.

It revolves around three timelines: before, during and after the trial of protagonist Catherine's former boyfriend, who almost killed her during a beating.

Although the jumping between three timelines was initially confusing, the story was compelling enough to drag me into Catherine's oft-claustrophobic world easily.

At times I didn't understand how could Catherine be so blind when author Haynes did her best to portray the former boyfriend as a smooth piece of scum, but that eventually didn't matter because the heart of the story was found in Catherine's struggle to overcome the oft-destructive psychological aspect of her recovery and severe form of OCD.

It's truly a dark tale, bordering on messing with my mind sometimes. I occasionally had to put it down for a breather, but Haynes's writing had me going back for more. Not bad for a debut novel.

I loved this book
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Edwards The magpies and forward slash.
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    Mark Edwards The magpies and forward slash.

Will take a look, thanks :)
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Martian by Andy Weir. The story of an astronaut stranded on Mars and his struggles to stay alive until a rescue mission reaches him. Don't be put off by the fact that it's science fiction - it's closer to the reality of Apollo 13 than Star Trek. I really just couldn't put it down, it's well researched and, considering its subject matter, surprisingly funny in places.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the pleasure of reading some fabulous books lately that I can highly recommend. After being disappointed by some very well known authors, I decided to start choosing my books ignoring the author name and just going by the title, cover, blurb, and 'look inside'. I don't take much notice of reviews as I find so many of the glowing ones are false, as well as some 'hatchet job' or just plain stupid one star reviews.

The kind of books I like are fast paced page turners that tend to be of the thriller genre. So if you like these too, the following books were fabulous reads in my opinion:

'Eeny meeny' by M J Arlidge www.amazon.co.uk/Eeny-Meeny-Helen-Grace-Dci-ebook/dp/B00GK8RV3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993413&sr=1-1&keywords=eeny+meeny+by+m+j+arlidge
    It's about a serial killer who kidnaps people in pairs and leaves them without food and water trapped in various deep sided containers such as a disused diving pool. They have a gun and a mobile phone which is pin locked. They are told by telephone (once they have recovered consciousness after being drugged) that only one of them will be allowed to escape; the one who murders the other!

'What Laura Saw'. My second great read from Sarah King.
    www.amazon.co.uk/What-Laura-Saw-Sarah-King-ebook/dp/B00LYB6HSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993833&sr=1-1&keywords=what+laura+saw
    It's about a woman who has a phobia of telephones and she goes to a hypnotherapist for treatment. However, this unleashes a series of scary events. It's a real mystery. You don't know if the main character is mad or if she's really seeing a ghost. It's a murder mystery and a love story, with one of the most multi-layered female characters I have come across. Trouble is, since reading it I have been scared of driving on my own in the dark, so be warned.

And last, but not least, 'The Memory box' by Eva Lesco Natiello.
    www.amazon.co.uk/Memory-Box-Eva-Lesko-Natiello-ebook/dp/B00LAI2SV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1406993922&sr=1-1&keywords=the+memory+box
    Now this book is an unusual one for me to read because it is told mainly in the present tense, and I don't normally like this. But I can forgive the author because it really is a totally original and riveting book to read. I hope I am not posting too much of a spoiler, when I say that the main character really is completely crackers. Not very nice to her husband and rather self centred I felt. But the story is just SO intriguing! It's about a woman who googles herself and finds out something quite horrifying.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have read Eeny Meeney already and to be honest I didn't really like it. I found it too gruesome in places and I didn't warm to the main character, the female detective, her personal life was a bit :o

However, I have just bought the other 2 for my Kindle, the Memory Box sounds very original and I'll read it next - I'll let you know what I think of them :)
    Forum Member
    Did you get it?
    I did, and I'm reading it now. I've read What Laura Saw based on your recommendation and it was unnervingly good. I also treated myself to Before I Go To Sleep and it was very readable. The twist was shocking!! I hope the film lives up to the book.