Three Like Home: New roaming plan (Three UK)

Comments

• binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Not yet.

I am not sure if there are more destinations being announced this year. Germany would be a nice one to add by the start of October if they are!

Germany, Spain. Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland... ;-)
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I thought of moving to Three but think you have to have been with them for at least a month before you can activate this inclusive roaming?
    What are the charges if you're a new customer, for calling, texting and data when in France and Spain?
    Tricky where I am going as it's right on the french-spanish border so if it's picking up the 'wrong' signal, I could get charged (if Spain isn't included but France is).
    Orange Fr are pretty useless anyhow. I always use SFR or Bouyges. It's much much cheaper than using my french phone but I have to keep that as otherwise my french mates won't call me (as they get charged for an international call).

Just wish it was EU standardised. And that we don't leave the EU :o
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I thought of moving to Three but think you have to have been with them for at least a month before you can activate this inclusive roaming?
    What are the charges if you're a new customer, for calling, texting and data when in France and Spain?
    Tricky where I am going as it's right on the french-spanish border so if it's picking up the 'wrong' signal, I could get charged (if Spain isn't included but France is).
    Orange Fr are pretty useless anyhow. I always use SFR or Bouyges. It's much much cheaper than using my french phone but I have to keep that as otherwise my french mates won't call me (as they get charged for an international call).

Just wish it was EU standardised. And that we don't leave the EU :o

You can activate it straight away now I believe. They got rid of the 30 day thing recently. I'd just check before signing up first though as I could be wrong.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    You could experiment with a PAYG SIM for 3 - these have always been roaming enabled from day 1. Note that on PAYG you do have to pre-purchase a "bundle" as 3-like-home does not work for calls made from the PAYG cash balance.
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Paris this week and found F-BOUYGUES gave excellent 3G or H+ signals wherever I was in the city, however the data delivered was somewhat patchy taking time to open up Google maps or other apps, streaming was out the question pretty much despite speed tests giving results that would normally be sufficient. I imagine there's some traffic prioritisation going on for us on Three roaming.

I just came back from Paris. F-Bouygues had good coverage but was painfully slow much of the time. I don't think there was a speed cap though as I managed 15mb down on a speed test in my hotel room over the 3g network (my phone wouldn't connect to the 4g, nor Free or any other networks despite SFR, Free and F-Bouygues showing as available to connect in the manual network selection).
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiwigi wrote: »
    I just came back from Paris. F-Bouygues had good coverage but was painfully slow much of the time. I don't think there was a speed cap though as I managed 15mb down on a speed test in my hotel room over the 3g network (my phone wouldn't connect to the 4g, nor Free or any other networks despite SFR, Free and F-Bouygues showing as available to connect in the manual network selection).

It would appear from when I last went to France that Bouygues & Free are available to use on a Pay Monthly plan but only Bouygues Télécom is available on Pay As You Go.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently in the Saint Christophe region and whilst data is slow the connection is reliable on F Bouygues.
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Just a heads up....was in Portugal recently & using the Europass. Not too fast but okay..
    Was okay for 8 day then couldn't renew the pass. Then couldn't make calls or texts.
    There is a 41.29 limit on roaming apparently. So if you need more than that you have to ring them and increase it. Obviously by then I couldn't ring up doh.
    To be fair their twitter support solved the problem for me. They raised my limit to 80 quid.
    Sadly they replied to my GMAIL account & not on twitter and I never checked my GMAIL until I got home.
    Was using my Vodafone sim for the rest of my hols.
    So just be aware. Why oh why you just can't buy the Europass for a block of days than one day at a time????? & surely for a fiver it should include using your contracted texts & calls.
    Other than that I'm extremely happy with 3 in the UK
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_1 wrote: »
    Just a heads up....was in Portugal recently & using the Europass. Not too fast but okay..
    Was okay for 8 day then couldn't renew the pass. Then couldn't make calls or texts.
    There is a 41.29 limit on roaming apparently. So if you need more than that you have to ring them and increase it. Obviously by then I couldn't ring up doh.
    To be fair their twitter support solved the problem for me. They raised my limit to 80 quid.
    Sadly they replied to my GMAIL account & not on twitter and I never checked my GMAIL until I got home.
    So just be aware. Why oh why you just can't buy the Europass for a block of days than one day at a time????? & surely for a fiver it should include using your contracted texts & calls.

The EU mandate a limit that is the maximum you can be charged of 50 euro per month in data roaming charges, which is the limit you hit, this applies to ALL operators and there's nothing Three can do as it's EU rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_roaming_regulations

They can't reply with account data to Twitter or they'll be in trouble with regards to data protection. hence why they used your registered email.

You can probably agree to waiver the EU limits before you go. but nothing in your post is Three's fault, they are doing exactly what they are meant to do.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The EU mandate a limit that is the maximum you can be charged of 50 euro per month in data roaming charges, which is the limit you hit, this applies to ALL operators and there's nothing Three can do as it's EU rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_roaming_regulations

They can't reply with account data to Twitter or they'll be in trouble with regards to data protection. hence why they used your registered email.

You can probably agree to waiver the EU limits before you go. but nothing in your post is Three's fault, they are doing exactly what they are meant to do.

Was just kind of warning people they might need to increase their limit so as not to get stuck like I was.
    3 were extremely helpful but unfortunately I didn't get the message
    No real moaning at 3 just a few suggestions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Out of curiosity, what network(s) were you able to use in Portugal?

Thanks. :D
    Forum Member
    There were 3 networks showing.
    OPTIMUS
    MEO...formerly TMN
    VODAFONE

By default it connected to OPTIMUS

I did try MEO to see if it was faster as I was told they were also a partner but it wouldn't connect so I guess it is not

Hope that helps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were 3 networks showing.
    OPTIMUS
    MEO...formerly TMN
    VODAFONE

By default it connected to OPTIMUS

I did try MEO to see if it was faster as I was told they were also a partner but it wouldn't connect so I guess it is not

Hope that helps

Thank you for this ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good news: 3 are now showing their *Actual* roaming partners again right at the bottom of the page under the network prices of the roaming destination.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im in Australia ATM and enjoying the free data. I can see being able to use Google maps while out and about is going to be a godsend.
    It's all good at the minute.

Loving this move to three :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    Im in Australia ATM and enjoying the free data. I can see being able to use Google maps while out and about is going to be a godsend.
    It's all good at the minute.

Loving this move to three :)

Out of interest, are you able to use the Telstra network?

Have a great time :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you able to use the Telstra network?

Have a great time :D

When I first landed I did a check networks search and picked Vodafone, I did another scan last night and it just seemed to time out and didn't find any other networks. Originally I'm sure it showed Telstra as an option.

Maybe up in cairns Telstra doesn't have any coverage, although I'd find that odd. May try another scan later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    When I first landed I did a check networks search and picked Vodafone, I did another scan last night and it just seemed to time out and didn't find any other networks. Originally I'm sure it showed Telstra as an option.

Maybe up in cairns Telstra doesn't have any coverage, although I'd find that odd. May try another scan later.

Ok, I believe only pay monthly customers can use Telstra ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Ok, I believe only pay monthly customers can use Telstra ;-)

Ok, I was up in daintree earlier and lost connection to Vodafone so I did another search. It saw Telstra and I connected with full signal, I used that for the next 4 hours until I was back in cairns and switched back to vf.

I'm on pay monthly so I can't answer that specific question ;)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Germany could be next.

APPARENTLY! DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!
  • YossiYossi Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I'm quite disappointed three hasn't added any additional countries lately. I was hoping for Germany and Portugal next!
    Considering the Dec 2015 deadline for the end of roaming is just a little over a year away I was hoping for more action from operators..
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Germany could be next.

APPARENTLY! DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!

I will though! :p Any idea when it could be announced? Would come in handy for end of December for me.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I have this horrible feeling that Three Like Home will end when the roaming charges become illegal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I have this horrible feeling that Three Like Home will end when the roaming charges become illegal.

I'm sure it'll continue, and even expand to more places. A lot of the places in Feel at home aren't even Europe anyway.

The EU roaming rates bill still has to be agreed by all EU member states, there is some debate about exactly how it'll work.

I don't think it applies to your minutes allowance, I think it is based on the per minute national calls a network charges.

http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/node/67489/#roaming
    European fixed calls

Operators will lose the right to charge for incoming calls while a user is travelling abroad in EU as of 1st July 2014.

Operators will have to charge no more than a domestic long-distance call for all fixed line calls to other EU member states. Any extra costs have to be objectively justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I say, it is the per minute rates that matter, you won't get to use your "plan" minutes I don't think. Most networks already charge quite a high out of bundle rate. The stick is that customers can switch to the prices of a roaming network when abroad.

From the official European Commission website http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/node/67489/#roaming
    Roaming

Operators will lose the right to charge for incoming calls while a user is travelling abroad in EU as of 1st July 2014. They will additionally face a choice between a carrot and stick .

The carrot is that they can be largely free of European regulation, if they extend their domestic plans/bundles from 2014 so that by 2018 at the latest, customers throughout the Union are able to use their phones and smartphones while travelling throughout the Union at domestic rates. There will be a glidepath from July 2014, allowing operators to adapt either the number of plans they offer or the number of countries they cover at domestic rates.

The stick is being subject the 2012 roaming regulation which forces companies to offer their customers the possibility to roam with new competitors (alternative roaming providers) as of July 2014. From this date a customer will have the right to leave their domestic operator when travelling and take cheaper roaming services from a local company or a rival company in the home country.

Operators should take advantage of the opportunities to offer Roam Like at Home to their consumers. The Commission will review the implementation of the Roaming regulation in 2016 and may consider further Regulatory options.