Options

More respect should be given to Artists/Song Writers

timperry26timperry26 Posts: 1,735
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Honestly

I believe more respect should be given to artists that actually write their OWN music

Look at the likes of cheryl cole she gets songwriters LOL no talent whatsover

The likes of

Lady Gaga
Jay Sean
Akon
? and more

Right their own music?

Comments

• Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga definitely does. Also Beyonce is a talented writer she co wrote every song on her last album.

Mariah Carey too is a great song writer.

Heidi Range also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey is the best singer/songwriter in the pop world, imo. She can make a shamelessly catchy/humorous song (i.e. Touch My Body/Obsessed) and then write amazingly poetic lyrics with brilliant melodies. She also wrote a lot of the music in her early career.
    She makes me laugh sometimes because she uses words that aren't typically used in pop/rnb song that shows a certain level of intellect. For amazing Mariah lyrics I'd suggest the following songs:

Languishing (interlude) "those ageless buried recollections, we transform them and select them"

Reflections "reflections of your love have come to wither, I thought I'd done my best to memorise"

My All "I am thinking of you, In my sleepless solitude tonight. If it's wrong to love you, then my heart just won't let me be right"

When I Saw You "Soft, heavenly eyes, gazed into me, transcending space, and time. And I, was rendered still, there were no words, for me to find at all"

Never Too Far "A place, in time, still belongs to us. Stays preserved in my mind. In the memories, there is solace"

Also Shakira always amazes me at how she spent 6 months (or weeks can't remember lol) learning English and then managed to write such great songs herself. Beyonce too, although her last album was much less Beyonce, more that she came in and altered pre-written songs. She writes great RnB melodies and some really catchy songs too. She put a word into the dictionary for God's sake lol, (not that Bootylicious is some kind of profound proclomation lol).
  • Options
    Timothy BryceTimothy Bryce Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    Lady Gaga definitely does. Also Beyonce is a talented writer she co wrote every song on her last album.

Mariah Carey too is a great song writer.

Heidi Range also.

Beyonce stopped a young girl, B.C. Jean launching her career by releasing releasing "If I were a Boy" before her, without her permission even though B.C. Jean wrote the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdjtO4iKU-A

"Knowles was accused of stealing "If I Were A Boy" from upcoming singer BC Jean. Journalist Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com published an account on October 14, 2008 of B.C. Jean's side of the story stating:

She had no idea Beyonce had even recorded her song until a stranger called with the news . . . according to sources, she and her manager/mother [Lori Carlson] have been strong-armed by Beyonce’s people and others who saw gold in "If I Were a Boy" and didn’t care how they got it . . . plenty of people knew the saga of Beyonce’s manager/father Matthew Knowles’ aggressive pursuit of the publishing rights to the potential hit record. His goal was to get the rights to the song and to put Beyonce’s name on the writing credits.

Knowles' name is not on the writing credits.

Friedman placed blame on Toby Gad for Knowles' receiving of the song also writing in the same article:

Altogether, I am told, B.C. Jean wrote and recorded about a dozen songs with Gad for an album the producer was planning to make of his own. When the deal fell apart, Gad — whose 300 plus credits are all co-written, never solo — took the songs and started marketing them to big name, established artists. Gad’s past "collaborators" include Fergie, on "Big Girls Don't Cry."

Fox News reported that Beyonce and B.C. Jean had come to terms, part of their deal being that Knowles and Jean record a duet for Jean's debut CD.[5]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Paramore
    Pink
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Either that or if a songwriter writes for a singer then the songwriter should get recognition for it. It annoys me because that situation is always technically a collaboration between two people, yet one takes all the credit.

Although I must say I pesonally much prefer people who write their own stuff over those who don't.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will give respect, where it's due, and who's earned it.

I respect the likes of: take that, Mariah Cahrey, Elton John, and the late MJ - talented legends, that had class, busting a gut for the fans.

not this pap nowdays, lyrics that can be written by 5 year olds, to name a few:

"I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" what? rubbish.

"oopsy daisy, I hurt you again" just laughable

"these girls fall like dominoes, dominoes, these gir...."
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timperry26 wrote: »

You'll find singing and dancing are both talents.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least her songs have meaning, singing about love and overcoming obstacles in life, unlike some other garbage radio 1 play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL

Singing about love, hmm did she right the song NO
    Can she sing NO, Is she Overrated YESSS

Everyone is killing her, it's just those mad fans of her's that made her go '1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can she sing NO

Her music career was launched on the back of singing live on TV for several weeks.

Respect should be given to songwriters, but at the same time disdain shouldn't be given to those who don't write their own stuff, like you are mindlessly throwing out. Tired musical snobbery, completely flying in the face of musical history, a lot of which was built on teams of songwriters having their tracks performed by artists (Motown says hi).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh True

Think to yourself "Fight for this Love" in another 10 years will people remember it NO

Imagine Fight for this love back to back UK #1, hmm doesnt make sence

Now when fight for this love goes onto the billboard EUROCHART it will get killed #70 position my option.

JLS - BEAT AGAIN went #6 IN EUROPE OVERALL

Jay Sean - "Down" has sold over 2 million singles in the states alone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think to yourself "Fight for this Love" in another 10 years will people remember it NO

That has nothing to do with anything really. Who said it would? The fact that her debut single may not go down in all-time lists is hardly a criticism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FACT is its completly sh**, if she wasnt on the Xfactor that SONG would'nt even have finshed TOP 15

Along with Every Single Magazine Cover

All that publicity, it just shows now in UK
    During Xfactor to get a UK #1 u need to perform on the xfactor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is if she releases it in EUROPE that song is gonna go nowhere, as its really BAD

None of her Xfactor publicity etc will help her their
    No 1 will like the song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FACT is its completly sh**, if she wasnt on the Xfactor that SONG would'nt even have finshed TOP 15

Despite your convincing caps, that's not a fact at all.

If she wasn't on X-Factor she'd still be very famous for being in Girls Aloud and married to Ashley Cole, so it's very likely it would have done well anyway.

You appear to have taken the philosophy that because you don't like it, neither will anyone else outside of X-Factor drones. You're slightly deluded.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You'll find singing and dancing are both talents.

They are, but I would hardly call Cheryl Cole's 'singing' (or dancing, for that matter) a talent.

Face it, Cole is a prime example of marketing and style triumphing over substance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell can she be a judge on Xfactor, when she cant even sing herself!

Ridiculous, just shows simon only got her for her looks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I think without the X factor, L'oreal, overhyping of Cheryl...FFTL wouldn't have make the top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell can she be a judge on Xfactor, when she cant even sing herself!

Unlike the others who have beautiful voices, and the general public who have to complete scales over the phone before their vote counts?
  • Options
    Highland RubyHighland Ruby Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Surely the songs actually have to be good though. Ndubz drone on all the time about writing all their songs but with lyrics like

"see all i did was blink twice, from my homie to my only" or
    "I like when you wear them material things
    But I like it more when you try my hat on with the strings"

are we really expected to praise them? I'd rather acts use songwriters if it saves us from this nonsense.
  • Options
    prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to some extent. Songwriters accept that they will probably never have their name in lights, so it's not like they are unfairly being ignored.

However, I don't like it fans of certain artists think the artist wrote the song themselves, and give the artist undue credit. I think this mainly applies with pop artists, when the fans say "OMG I LOVE HER LYRICS".

Also, I feel it applies to rappers, who write the lyrics themselves, BUT, do NOT, compose the backing music - so when the fans say "all of his songs have a really good beat to them", they are assuming that the artist came up with it themselves. I know on the whole, the rapper will have solely composed the music, or co-produces it, but on the whole, NO.

I don't think it matters with acts like Girls Aloud, who make no lies about they wrote it or not - they are marketed as a manufactured pop artists, who xenomania write their songs for, which I have no problem with.

What really annoys me, is when artists actually do write their own songs, AND produce it, but still are seen as just singers. When people say, "Wow, I didn't know they wrote that song", I find it really annoying. The biggest example of this for me is Mariah Carey, who, on the whole, doesn't get the recognition she deserves for writing and producing all her songs (except the cover versions obviously). She actually writes the melody, lyrics and produces the track as well, and yet is just seen as a singer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiL Wayne's verse in "Down" is almost perfect. Read it Carefully amazingly contructed

even if the sky is falling
    down like she ‘posed to be
    she gets down low for me
    down like her temperature
    cuz to me she zero degrees
    she cold, over freeze
    I got that girl from overseas
    now she’s my Miss America
    now can I be her soldier please
    I’m fighting for this girl
    on the battlefield of love
    don’t it look like baby cupid
    sending arrows from above
    don’t you ever leave the side of me
    and definitely not probably
    and honestly I’m down like the economy#

Don't u think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly

I believe more respect should be given to artists that actually write their OWN music

The likes of

Lady Gaga
    Jay Sean
    Akon
    ? and more

Right their own music?

I agree with the gist of your post, but the examples of good songwriters you offer is risible IMO. Lady Gaga? Jay Sean? Akon? Gimme a break!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy on Akon, he did write 'Right Now (Na Na Na)' after all. Average until the na-na-na's kick in, and then you realise your ears have been blessed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LiL Wayne's verse in "Down" is almost perfect. Read it Carefully amazingly contructed

even if the sky is falling
    down like she ‘posed to be
    she gets down low for me
    down like her temperature
    cuz to me she zero degrees
    she cold, over freeze
    I got that girl from overseas
    now she’s my Miss America
    now can I be her soldier please
    I’m fighting for this girl
    on the battlefield of love
    don’t it look like baby cupid
    sending arrows from above
    don’t you ever leave the side of me
    and definitely not probably
    and honestly I’m down like the economy#

Don't u think?

Lil Wayne?! :D

I'm sorry, but those lyrics are drop-dead cringeworthy! 'and honestly I'm down like the economy' :D:D What's the next line? 'I'll buy you diamonds girl, and satin and lace, then when we're getting grimey you can sit on my face'?

As someone posted above, good songwriters should get more credit - but when it's dross like this, perhaps it's best if they hire professionals in.