Options

BBC SCD Forum Look What's Happening Instead

ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not a forum but you can post comments.

Some comments about the lack of a forum.

25. At 12:00pm on 13 Sep 2010, Sparky wrote:
Why do we have to change everything? What was wrong with the old forum? It was fun. Very sad that some of the regular pro dancers have been sidelined, especially Ian. Can't wait to see how it all works out though.

26. At 6:49pm on 13 Sep 2010, Sax wrote:
Did i just read that on here there will be no forums? Why is this? To ssave any negativity? To keep egos cushioned? Why have a online site that is shackled by a draconian blanket on comments?

The whole point of forums is for discussion to discuss and suggest comments yes give feedback and any unfair can be moderated!

Come on BBC unshackle our hands and let us have our old style forum back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/2010/09/red-carpet-celebrity-interview.shtml

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    :D:D

Little bug'ers aint they :D ......am I allowed to say that?:confused::confused:

Pity they couldnt control their own boards.....but heyho look on the bright side......lots more newbies for you to entertain e ;):D:D

...whats this "overuse" of the smilies crack then :confused: Inanna is not best pleased that she is limited to using expressions........
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has a history of sanitizing their boards and directing critical licencepayers up quiet waterways for areas for comment. They don’t like critical people “banding together,” so they make it impossible.

The "Bonekickers" boards had over three hundred critical posts removed at a stroke in a pathetic attempt to have the programme perceived as better received, but even that failed to save it.

The direction of critical posts to blogs ensures that there is no "collective" criticism and only selected comments are usually included.

There also seems to be a; “my blog gets more comments than your blog” rivalry between those that have them.

But the most amusing comment from POV hosts which is often made is that; "Posts to the message board aren't typical of the (light and fluffy?) phone calls, e-mails and letters they receive."

As Ricky Tomlinson would say; My ***** they aren't."

Any critical e-mail about programmes to the BBC will be politely answered with a "stock letter" not always the right one as; I guess; "a wrong key is sometimes pressed."
    A supposedly comforting phrase is always included to the effect that; "the complaint will be added to the log."
    As little changes at the BBC, I can only surmise that the "logs" are burned at Christmas or they end up in the same warehouse as the "Ark of the Covenant" at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame for the genuine posters.

Of course there were gangs of WUMs - some of whom <shock horror> planned their jolly japes on DS.

I guess they're really disappointed that they won't be having their fun this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am tempted to register over there just to say: "We are all over on DS, which is a far superior forum with decent moderators and no 3 minute wait to post. And those of us with any sense have been for ages!"

To be honest, I think that begging the BBC to reopen its forum while posting on DS seems a bit like going to a restaurant and announcing in a loud voice: "We wanted to go to the place down the road but it was closed, so we are stuck here instead."

It feels a bit discourteous, but that's just my view and I am sure others will disagree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course there were gangs of WUMs - some of whom <shock horror> planned their jolly japes on DS.

I guess they're really disappointed that they won't be having their fun this year.

Did they indeed. Now tell us how you know and pm and tellme what are they planning this year!! After all we are on DS!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I know?

Because it was discussed on the Bored thread quite openly.

As for this year I don't know, is it fun trying to disrupt blogs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    The BBC has a history of sanitizing their boards and directing critical licencepayers up quiet waterways for areas for comment. They don’t like critical people “banding together,” so they make it impossible.

A supposedly comforting phrase is always included to the effect that; "the complaint will be added to the log."
    As little changes at the BBC, I can only surmise that the "logs" are burned at Christmas or they end up in the same warehouse as the "Ark of the Covenant" at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

No, they are sent to the Ministry Of Truth to be adjusted by Winston. Just hope you aren't adjusted too. That would be doubleplus ungood.
    But if you reregister with a different name enough times you might get to meet nice Mr. Goldstein.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am tempted to register over there just to say: "We are all over on DS, which is a far superior forum with decent moderators and no 3 minute wait to post. And those of us with any sense have been for ages!"

To be honest, I think that begging the BBC to reopen its forum while posting on DS seems a bit like going to a restaurant and announcing in a loud voice: "We wanted to go to the place down the road but it was closed, so we are stuck here instead."

It feels a bit discourteous, but that's just my view and I am sure others will disagree.

The problem is that people think venting their anger (within the board rules of course) on the BBC sites will achieve something. But it won't.

At one time the BBC board header used to say;

"Tell us what you like or loathe about BBC programmes."

But when it disappeared and the board hosts were asked why, the response they posted was; "Because it gave the impression that you might get an answer from the BBC."

Now it says;

"The place to discuss BBC Television Programmes with other viewers."

Or; as you might say; "just talk amongst yourselves."

Having a board where licence payers can let off a bit of "restrained" steam, I guess the BBC considers, is better than having disenchanted viewers engaging in placarded demonstrations in front of TV Centre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I know?

Because it was discussed on the Bored thread quite openly.

As for this year I don't know, is it fun trying to disrupt blogs?

Not trying to be off with you. It was only a question!!! As for the latter part of your post, what are you on about? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Hi ewoodie, I saw your post and recognised you from the boards last year, just wanted to say hi, and let you know that a mutual 'friend' has picked me up and transported me to the exiles boards, hoping to see you over there, I know you and I didn't always see eye to eye, but we did always have a mutual respect and finally found some common ground, hope to meet up with you over in the exiles, always read your stuff though, wherever you are. Enjoy this year's SCD no matter what !
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi ewoodie, I saw your post and recognised you from the boards last year, just wanted to say hi, and let you know that a mutual 'friend' has picked me up and transported me to the exiles boards, hoping to see you over there, I know you and I didn't always see eye to eye, but we did always have a mutual respect and finally found some common ground, hope to meet up with you over in the exiles, always read your stuff though, wherever you are. Enjoy this year's SCD no matter what !
    :)

Hi Msl

Lovely to hear from you. There are a number of posters on here who I don't see eye to eye with but we still acknowledge each other and have a joke.

:confused:What are the exiles boards?:confused:

xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I'm going to give it my best shot at putting up a link - I'm rusty so bear with me !

http://scdbbc.roflforum.net/introduce-yourself-f8/

Try this - it shoud take you to the Exiles Boards, if not - ping me and I will try again !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to give it my best shot at putting up a link - I'm rusty so bear with me !

Try this - it shoud take you to the Exiles Boards, if not - ping me and I will try again !

consider yourself "pinged" MsL :D:D - did it hurt much?......didnt know we were allowed to post links here :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. Have created a shortcut on my desktop. Are there really no mods?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Thanks. Have created a shortcut on my desktop. Are there really no mods?

..no we have a mod/Admin but with a warped sense of humour e :D:D when s/he gets bored s/he plays around with words.....its most bizarre but extremely amusing :D
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't believe all this talk about trolls. From my experience of forums the number of trolls that post on a forum is very little indeed and easy to spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    Don't believe all this talk about trolls. From my experience of forums the number of trolls that post on a forum is very little indeed and easy to spot.

yeah they were easy to spot but difficult to get rid of due to the moderation or should I say "correct" moderation of the boards.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »

I said WUMs not trolls. I have never accused anyone of being a troll and never would. To me that is a very serious accusation although I know some people use it at the drop of a hat.

Last year there were groups of posters who bumped every thread about a certain subject. It became a weekly event. Very childish but not maliciously bullying or anything that I would consider troll like.

But certainly something that the BBC could have done without I'm sure.

The SCD board was an easy target. As would any board be that attracts large numbers of new posters all in one go.

That sort of mucking about wouldn't last very long here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Not trying to be off with you. It was only a question!!! As for the latter part of your post, what are you on about? :)

You asked me to pm you to tell you what 'they' were planning this year.

You have been reading the BBC site so you know that they have blogs this year. I was asking a general question about whether blogs are fun to disrupt (I don't use them, they look boring).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You asked me to pm you to tell you what 'they' were planning this year.

You have been reading the BBC site so you know that they have blogs this year. I was asking a general question about whether blogs are fun to disrupt (I don't use them, they look boring).

Joke - tongue-in-cheek comment. Sorry It is easy to mistinterpret on here. I'm not really expecting you to do any pm-ing to me. :)

Disrupting BBC blog - don't know. I haven't disrupted them.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inanna wrote: »
    yeah they were easy to spot but difficult to get rid of due to the moderation or should I say "correct" moderation of the boards.......

Morning.:)
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,390
    Forum Member
    I am about to give up with BBC site as it took me ages on Saturday to sign in my password didin't work then it logged me out for 30mins. When I finally got in I found they had removed the boards it's a flaming liberty. Can't they take heat and the criticism from the loyal 'strictlys'.
  • Options
    F&amp;CStrictlyBlogF&amp;CStrictlyBlog Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I suggest pointing all this on the BBC's Points of View board ;-)

C
    http://frankieandcloverstrictly.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not me! I agree with you!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a guess, I'd say the dedicated BBC's SCD forums received about ten percent of the number of posts on this board.

The "three minute nonsense" was a big turn off for many.

The BBC have been steadily reducing the number of message boards they have available. There was often no logic for some of them.
    I believe "The Archers" radio programme had six and even "Bonekickers" had four.

They much prefer blogs where they have complete control.