Options

The Trip - Mondays, BBC2 10pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vsvwd

Comedy series starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon.
When Steve is commissioned by the food supplement of a Sunday newspaper to review half a dozen restaurants, he decides to mix work with pleasure and plans a trip around the north of England with his food loving American girlfriend. But when his girlfriend decides to leave him and return to the States, Steve is faced with a week of meals for one, not quite the trip he had in mind. Reluctantly, he calls Rob, the only person he can think of who will be available. Rob, never one to turn down a free lunch (let alone six) agrees, and together they set off for a culinary adventure.
Over the course of six meals at six different restaurants in and around the Lake District, Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales, this ultimate odd couple find themselves debating the big questions of life over a series of culinary delights.
Their first stop is the Inn at Whitewell in the beautiful Trough of Bowland.

Comments

• Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,095
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes....
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. :D

I want to see if those stepping stones in the trailer are at Morpeth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    riighhttt...... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love both of them but this is very self indulgent!!
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    suki c wrote: »
    riighhttt...... :)

… I like Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan, too.

It’s a bit self indulgent at the moment, I hope it moves on.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I'm liking it so far - it's different.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Has Rob gone though all his impressions now then? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    … I like Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan, too.

It’s a bit self indulgent at the moment, I hope it moves on.

yes - can't really imagine where it's going from here :eek:
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Has Rob gone though all his impressions now then? :D

Waiting for the Ken Bruce and then I'll turn off!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very weird but I like it so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oooh - Anton du Beke looky-likey for me!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am enjoying it although it is a bit strange. I will be interested to see where it goes from here.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Odd. Will see how it goes.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a bit odd, seemed like something from bbc4. Shall have a look next week to see where it's going anyway.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The Trip'? Ego Trip more like. It didn't do it for me, much as I like the two of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I like Coogan and Brydon, but that never would have been commissioned without their names. Pointless, self-indulgent crap.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm. Can't decide yet whether I like it or not, but I know the Inn at Whitewell looked rather lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it I honestly think that (and the Inbetweeners) has been my tv highlights so far.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVED that.

The script was just gold for me, the randomness of it all...love the fact half of it was nothing to do with moving the story on like every other comedy drama feel like it has to do and thus ends up feeling so contrived.

To me this felt so real, charming, funny and calming which after the weekend dross of **** Factor and Strictly etc is such a welcome relief. Roll on next monday, I could have listened to them having the dinner conversation for another hour :)
  • Options
    sarahcasarahca Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. Brydon's Caine impression is superb.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOVED that.

The script was just gold for me, the randomness of it all...love the fact half of it was nothing to do with moving the story on like every other comedy drama feel like it has to do and thus ends up feeling so contrived.

To me this felt so real, charming, funny and calming which after the weekend dross of **** Factor and Strictly etc is such a welcome relief. Roll on next monday, I could have listened to them having the dinner conversation for another hour :)

yes so could of I, was quite sad when it finished all of a sudden.
    shall watch next week.
    ps i thought coogan looked like richard osullivan MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE. and i laughed at the dinner scenes which i dont often do.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an absolute classic in the making. The dinner table scene was the funniest thing I've seen on tv this year. Also love the way Coogan is taking the piss out of his 'sex addict' image. Brilliant tv.
    "Arrr, so there be rumblings are there????"
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Michael Caine face off had me clapping like a demented seal. :p
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    This is an absolute classic in the making. The dinner table scene was the funniest thing I've seen on tv this year. Also love the way Coogan is taking the piss out of his 'sex addict' image. Brilliant tv.
    "Arrr, so there be rumblings are there????"

:D yeah great stuff. I approached it with trepidation after two of the four "critics" on Newsnight Review panned it for being slow and self indulgent - similar to the posters on here who disliked it but they must be watching something else to me - the acting, timing and writing was just brilliant.

Note to self - from now on don't dismiss books/films/tv shows cos of the newnight review panel....:rolleyes: It's not that I have total faith in them reflecting my opinions it's just there's so much art and literature out there that you have to scale things down and often them panning something is enough for me to tickit off my list.