Options

BREAKING NEWS: Labour "badly mishandled immigration"

Mr David BrentMr David Brent Posts: 97
Forum Member
No sh*t says Uncle Sherlock.

New Labour's grubby little secret is out. Since 1997 Labour politicians and certain sections of the media have been singing the praises of open border immigration, telling us how much we all benefit from it. How grateful and enriched do you feel in these austere times?.

In reallity, mass, uncontrolled immigration has been a catastrophe. A catastrophe for British workers, a catastrophe for first time buyers and a catastrophe for victims of crime and terrorism.

No amount of apologies will reverse the damage caused by Labours treachery, so eat humble pie Ed and lots of it, because the British electorate are not about to forgive you and your lot for crimes not seen since Hitler invaded Poland.

If anyone still believes immigration is good for Britain please make yourself known.
Labour badly mishandled the issue of immigration in government, Ed Miliband is expected to say.

In a speech later, Mr Miliband will say his party "got it wrong" when it allowed uncontrolled immigration from new EU states in 2004. Mr Miliband will also say his party ignored those who didn't benefit from the big increases in immigration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18539472

Comments

• Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Too little too late me thinks.
    I think they are getting this out now as the Condems are so despised at the moment so lance the boil now and hope the famously goldfish like British electorate will have moved on by the election
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Too little too late me thinks.
    I think they are getting this out now as the Condems are so despised at the moment so lance the boil now and hope the famously goldfish like British electorate will have moved on by the election

Yes - Too little too late. UKIP, the BNP and some Conservatives aka 'swivel-eyed fascists' have all been vindicated. Let's hear no more nonsense from the liberal-left who were wrong on the economy, wrong on the EU and wrong on immigration. All of these people have much soul searching to do. An apology wil no longer suffice.
    In response to Yvette Cooper's article in The Times of 21 June, Sir Andrew Green, Chairman of Migration Watch UK said:

"This is a very significant shift of policy and is music to our ears, confirming what we have been saying for ten years. But it is a bit rich coming from a party which, when in government, threw open the doors of Britain to three and a half million foreign immigrants with total contempt for public opinion. The opposition must now say whether they accept that there must be a sharp reduction in immigration and, if so, how they propose to achieve it."

http://news.migrationwatch.org.uk/2012/06/response-to-yvette-coopers-times-article.html
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Brenty, welcome back.

Immigration is good for Britain. Drinking water is good for you. Too little is bad, too much is bad. Controlled immigration policy that manages what is good the nation and ensure that as demographics ebb and flow in regions that facilities grow to math is what is needed. Where I live we have had a lot of Eastern Europeans arrive of late, many have set up local business etc and on some levels have settled in well. However, try and get an appointment at the GP and its queues, queues and more queues as that service has not grown to accomadate the influx of people. Whatever benefits will have been brought to the town, in that regard its a massive fail.

I still lulz at the idea that "the right" will do something...do something to stem the flow of cheap labour, yeah...good luck on that one.
  • Options
    Dannyboy1978ukDannyboy1978uk Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Why stop at "we got immigration wrong" !!!
    Why not carry on and tell us being in europe caused this mess and free un controlled movement has put real pressure on our economy.

Idiots.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Was this 'Breaking News' reported on the BBC? If it was, i suspect several lefty BBC News 'editors' had to be revived with some smelling salts! Thing that makes me giggle is Labour's immigration policies -during their shocking tenure- damaged THEIR OWN voters (pressure on housing, jobs for unemployed, etc)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Hi Brenty, welcome back.

Immigration is good for Britain. Drinking water is good for you. Too little is bad, too much is bad. Controlled immigration policy that manages what is good the nation and ensure that as demographics ebb and flow in regions that facilities grow to math is what is needed. Where I live we have had a lot of Eastern Europeans arrive of late, many have set up local business etc and on some levels have settled in well. However, try and get an appointment at the GP and its queues, queues and more queues as that service has not grown to accomadate the influx of people. Whatever benefits will have been brought to the town, in that regard its a massive fail.

I still lulz at the idea that "the right" will do something...do something to stem the flow of cheap labour, yeah...good luck on that one.

Immigration since 1997 has been a win win situation for property speculators, unscrupulous employers, and of late New Labour's gerrymandering/social-engineering schemes. For the vast majority however, immigration has been an unmitigated disaster. With rising rents, rising crime, falling wages, and over-crowded hospitals, roads, prisons and schools, the price of open border immigration has NOT been a price worth paying. Yes, a balance needs to be struck, however if Ed wants to win the next election he must offer an in/out referendum on the EU and to close the borders. In other words unless Labour does a UKIP, electoral failure is assured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MizManiac wrote: »
    Was this 'Breaking News' reported on the BBC? If it was, i suspect several lefty BBC News 'editors' had to be revived with some smelling salts! Thing that makes me giggle is Labour's immigration policies -during their shocking tenure- damaged THEIR OWN voters (pressure on housing, jobs for unemployed, etc)!

The news was broken yesterday by Yvette Cooper writing in the Times. The drip drip effect has no doubt cushioned the blow for the liberal-hand-wringing-know it all-left, vis a vi the BBC, the Guardian and Independent. Red faces all round. The 'breaking news' bit was me being ironic.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MizManiac wrote: »

The Labour spokesperson who went on to the Today programme this morning got well and truly marmalised by Hymphrys when asked to explain what they meant and what they were going to do about it. They aren't going to actually do anything about it. And there isn't really a problem except for some employers who pay low wages that are attractive to immigrants and not attractive to non-immigrants. And that's why some people are a bit annoyed.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    what labour did with immigration is exactly what they accuse the torries of. they assumed they knew best and the people were wrong.

it's incredible arrogance and intellectual smugness.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the corporations and big businesses benefit from such scale immigration.

Labour were indeed wrong but they won't ever change this policy and neither will the Tories.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The Labour spokesperson who went on to the Today programme this morning got well and truly marmalised by Hymphrys when asked to explain what they meant and what they were going to do about it. They aren't going to actually do anything about it.

Exactly - Labour have opposed every suggested measure to restrict immigration, they have no intention of changing anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Exactly - Labour have opposed every suggested measure to restrict immigration, they have no intention of changing anything.

The Cruddas Labour Policy Review must have come up with this.:D

I expect Miliband to be making lots of speeches about Labour's new policies in the immediate future.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Labour spokesperson who went on to the Today programme this morning got well and truly marmalised by Hymphrys when asked to explain what they meant and what they were going to do about it. They aren't going to actually do anything about it. And there isn't really a problem except for some employers who pay low wages that are attractive to immigrants and not attractive to non-immigrants. And that's why some people are a bit annoyed.

I would think most Labour politcians are worried that they may be in trouble once they have to start coming up with policies and solutions to their previous mistakes. Andy Burnham more or less apologised on QT last night for the party not saying what they would do.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    No sh*t says Uncle Sherlock.

New Labour's grubby little secret is out. Since 1997 Labour politicians and certain sections of the media have been singing the praises of open border immigration, telling us how much we all benefit from it. How grateful and enriched do you feel in these austere times?.

In reallity, mass, uncontrolled immigration has been a catastrophe. A catastrophe for British workers, a catastrophe for first time buyers and a catastrophe for victims of crime and terrorism.

No amount of apologies will reverse the damage caused by Labours treachery, so eat humble pie Ed and lots of it, because the British electorate are not about to forgive you and your lot for crimes not seen since Hitler invaded Poland.

If anyone still believes immigration is good for Britain please make yourself known.

Good on him for admitting that far - now when is he going to admit that they got it wrong on the shortage list, got it wrong when that was abolished for some industries and the numbers moved across to ICTs.

Just look at the number of ICTs that came into the country prior to the removal of IT and those afterwards.

And this despite being told at the time that it was not required and then telling all those who said this to go and prove it.

New Labour was listening to big business when it drew up the shortage list(s). Not one organisation representing workers was asked originally.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour have announced their policy to correct their earlier "mistake"

Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised to deter firms from exclusively employing workers from overseas, as he admits his party "got it wrong" on immigration when in government.

No, I am not making this up....
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour "badly mishandled immigration". Wow, no sh!t Sherlock! And now they've promised a 'level playing field'. Wow again. Waaay too little, waaay too late. Those millions that came over are now here and most of them aren't going anywhere. They've settled down and are churning out kids by the cart-load, overcrowding our schools, overflowing our towns and cities, using increasingly scarce water, gas and electricity.
    And the worst of it is that it wasn't a 'mistake', it was quite deliberate. To 'change the face of Britain' and to 'rub the Right's nose in it'.
    Thanks a bunch, you've certainly changed things.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking News? :D

Welcome back Brenty :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Labour have announced their policy to correct their earlier "mistake"

Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised to deter firms from exclusively employing workers from overseas, as he admits his party "got it wrong" on immigration when in government.

No, I am not making this up....

Deter? What does that mean? His government passed the laws that gave one and all the right to come and work here.:D:D

The person paying the wages can employ anyone he or she chooses.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he said Labour was wrong for not imposing transitional rules for the new EU members states. No mention of the mass immigration from non-EU countries, then.
    And his proposals will do absolutely nothing to control future immigration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    So he said Labour was wrong for not imposing transitional rules for the new EU members states. No mention of the mass immigration from non-EU countries, then.
    And his proposals will do absolutely nothing to control future immigration.

How's this for Miliband's logic - some employers are paying less than the minimum wage to immigrants. If we stopped them paying these low wages then non-immigrants would flock to these jobs.

(I detect a slight flaw here. If the wages went up more immigrants would be attracted to come here.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some recruitment agencies only employ foreign workers says Miliband.

We need to change it.

Not quite sure how he would do this.

There are no laws that can force recruitment agencies to recruit anyone that they don't wish to recruit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miliband's says we need really effective controls.

Bolting door horse bolted and stable spring to mind.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some recruitment agencies only employ foreign workers says Miliband.

We need to change it.

Not quite sure how he would do this.

There are no laws that can force recruitment agencies to recruit anyone that they don't wish to recruit.

I assume that as far as EU nationals are concerned, it would be illegal to insist on Britons. That was why Brown's "Britsih jobs for British workers" slogan was dishonest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    I assume that as far as EU nationals are concerned, it would be illegal to insist on Britons. That was why Brown's "Britsih jobs for British workers" slogan was dishonest.

Precisely.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well all I can say is that Cruddas is a good script writer.