Glass a stranger for your 18th offence? Get off with community service!

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722845/Estate-agent-21-glassed-stranger-night-spared-jail-despite-18th-conviction-assault.html
‘So what do you actually have to do to go to prison these days?’

A man with that history would now be eyeing the soap on the shower floor of one of her Majesty`s guesthouses.

Comments

• John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched the various police programmes on TV, and seeing the penalties dished out for perpetual offenders cannot say I am surprised...
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Basically a carte blanche for violent behaviour.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    If this was a guy he'd be locked up a while ago.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole sentencing system in this country needs a huge shake-up. Especially with regards to murder. The guy in the link below should never have been released to kill again. The minimum sentencing terms for some murderers in this country is absolutely pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723248/They-just-didnt-listen-Parents-murdered-woman-reveal-tried-warn-authorities-killer-dangerous-freed-months-killed-new-girlfriend.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    oh but write something on facebook or twitter that causes 'offence' and you go to prison :kitty:
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably sucked off the Judge.

Stories like this just make me sick, when she finally kills someone perhaps she will get a few months - perhaps not.
  • FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Left wing justice
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    She probably...

I don't think libelling judges is a good idea...
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably sucked off the Judge.

Stories like this just make me sick, when she finally kills someone perhaps she will get a few months - perhaps not.

Yep, she's a good looking girl. Judge probably fancied her. Happens.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    18 convictions for assault by the age of 21? That's appalling. Even the Judge was shocked, yet he felt fit to not give her a custodial sentence? Right.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    18 convictions for assault by the age of 21? That's appalling. Even the Judge was shocked, yet he felt fit to not give her a custodial sentence? Right.

Still, it keeps The Guardian readers happy.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to have it's ovaries removed before it can breed.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it been a financial crime for instance against HMRC or benefits etc then she would probably have got a custodial sentence.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Well, perhaps we can infer something from that the fact the company refused to comment on whether she's still an employee?

Now that one of the national newspapers has picked up the story and identified her as being an employee won't do much good. If I were the employer, and they hadn't terminated her employment at this point, I know what I'd be doing!

I'm gathering that she made an agreement with the prosecution for a guilty plea to ABH. I suppose they may have encountered problems with the more serious charges of GBH or malicious wounding, although a 'gash' to the eyelid, I'm not so sure... I think that could have possibly been capable of a GBH conviction.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some states in America they operate a three strikes and your out policy, she wouldn't have even got that far there, 3 is a bit harsh but I definitely think it should be set at 5. There was a a case where a man was sentenced to life for stealing a loaf of bread on his 3rd offence.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying it was right but I wonder was she given a suspended sentence, rather than custodial, because she was already trying to get 'help' and was awaiting a referral for her anger before the attack. Plus this was apparently her first assault in 4 years or something. Although I find that hard to believe. Someone who's racked up that many assaults and is that quick to anger is unlikely to keep a lid on it in all that time.

Perhaps the judge reluctantly gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was trying to get herself sorted and prison would set her back.

And what it was over. :o An ecig and a thank you?! If that's true she really is a basketcase. A very dangerous one. Referral or not she should have served time imo.

Poor guy. That's a real kick in the teeth for him to go with his injured eye. :(
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    In some states in America they operate a three strikes and your out policy, she wouldn't have even got that far there, 3 is a bit harsh but I definitely think it should be set at 5. There was a a case where a man was sentenced to life for stealing a loaf of bread on his 3rd offence.

Which in itself is going to the other end of the extreme and is to my mind ridiculous.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    she is the kind of girl that thinks she is invincible and untouchable.
    Wouldn't it be poetic justice if,someday, she picked on the wrong kind of bloke,someone equally scumbaggy,who just beat the snot out of her -girl or no girl
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I was glasses in the face in an unprovoked attack 10 years who, he got a £100 fine, I got £5000 compo, and 15 witnesses had to be paid 5 days off work and travel from all over Britain, must have all cost £30k to taxpayer
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a woman, that's why. The sentencing for women is far too soft when the male equivalent will always get hard time. My sister should have been in jail for a lot longer than she has been but she always gets away with it because she's a girl.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Left wing justice

Left or right wing has nothing to do with it except in the eyes of the deluded. I imagine you consider North Korea a left wing state, what do you think her punishment would have been there?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine got attacked whilst on a xmas drink with people from work, With no provocation he was headbutted he said he felt his nose break on the impact,
    He said his eyes filled with tears and his vision was blurred and he saw the guy coming in for a second headbutt so just reacted, He swung his right hand which had a glass in it.

He ended up arrested for it and charged and took to court, "the victim" it turned out had a string of convictions for football related violence and on the day was on his way home from a match his team lost.
    None of this could be used as evidence in my friends case, It was his first "offence" and he ended up being locked up for six months, He lost his job, home and everything over this.

Before he went to prison my friend reminded me of mr bean he was so soft and nerdy, Since he came out he has played up to the ex-con thing and has become a total arse.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    she is the kind of girl that thinks she is invincible and untouchable.
    Wouldn't it be poetic justice if,someday, she picked on the wrong kind of bloke,someone equally scumbaggy,who just beat the snot out of her -girl or no girl

I think she'd be fairly justified in thinking she's untouchable. After 18 offences and no custodial sentence she'd be forgiven for thinking there's very little consequence for whacking someone.

She might give it a bit more thought over the next two years though, with the the threat of*going to prison this time. Maybe if this had happened several offences ago that guy wouldn't have been glassed.
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    A friend of mine got attacked whilst on a xmas drink with people from work, With no provocation he was headbutted he said he felt his nose break on the impact,
    He said his eyes filled with tears and his vision was blurred and he saw the guy coming in for a second headbutt so just reacted, He swung his right hand which had a glass in it.

He ended up arrested for it and charged and took to court, "the victim" it tIurned out had a string of convictions for football related violence and on the day was on his way home from a match his team lost.
    None of this could be used as evidence in my friends case, It was his first "offence" and he ended up being locked up for six months, He lost his job, home and everything over this.

Before he went to prison my friend reminded me of mr bean he was so soft and nerdy, Since he came out he has played up to the ex-con thing and has become a total arse.

That is awful. How on earth can someone break another person's nose, in an unprovoked attack, and end up the victim and not answerable to his part in it!?
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

He ended up arrested for it and charged and took to court, "the victim" it turned out had a string of convictions for football related violence and on the day was on his way home from a match his team lost.

If that happened as described then certainly more than enough grounds for self defence. Certainly would have had to be heard before a court though, hence the decision to charge. However, rightly or wrongly, the jury clearly felt that what he did was unlawful.

What was he charged with? Assault or Affray? Presumably they were both charged with Affray? Or did the other chap get away with his actions?