Options

Steven Norrington - MIA?

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Checking around I can`t find any realised activity from him post-2005. He was attached to The Crow remake but left (as he`s done with so many projects that you have to wonder if this rep is what`s caused the lack of work) and the last news regarding anything was for The Lost Patrol, a WWII monster movie which doesn`t seem to have happened.

I thought Death Machine was inventive film-making, Blade was excellent and even parts of LXG were worthwhile so I`m disappointed that this talented (but clearly difficult) director is going to waste. Anyone know of anything concrete?

Comments

• Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Checking around I can`t find any realised activity from him post-2005. He was attached to The Crow remake but left (as he`s done with so many projects that you have to wonder if this rep is what`s caused the lack of work) and the last news regarding anything was for The Lost Patrol, a WWII monster movie which doesn`t seem to have happened.

I thought Death Machine was inventive film-making, Blade was excellent and even parts of LXG were worthwhile so I`m disappointed that this talented (but clearly difficult) director is going to waste. Anyone know of anything concrete?

Apparently he hated working with Sean Connery on LXG so much that he gave up directing.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    Apparently he hated working with Sean Connery on LXG so much that he gave up directing.

But that`s not true seeing as he was lined up to do the Crow movie and this Lost Patrol film as well. Why would he quit directing anyway? Just avoid Sean Connery!!

I spent a drunken afternoon in a boozer once with one of the co-stars on First Knight, that Richard Gere movie with Sean Connery. Said co-star couldn`t say enough good things about Gere and how he wasn`t "starry" in the slightest. He did not have nice things to say about Sean Connery which seems to be a common state of affairs as far as I can tell industry-wide so I`d side with Norrington in regard to OOap.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard a rumour here and another there, online and in person. The most persistent rumour is that he's involved with a project that encourages youths to learn film-making, especially special and visual effects.

No idea if that is true, though, as it's all just a rumour. There's all sorts of rumours. My favourite stupidest rumour is that he's off to search for himself somewhere in Tibet. :D Ridiculous.

A colleague and I met someone who claimed he knew him from working together on a short film. He said Norrington was actually a nice guy. Pretty passionate about technology and special effects. Very into the collaborative aspect as well, which makes his supposed difficult reputation rather odd.

I had an impression that he believed Norrington was badly treated by three studios (one of them is 20th Century Fox, the ones behind LXG). They made his life unnecessarily difficult. He was also "unfairly" blamed for others' mistakes. Apparently, all this left him so burned out that he couldn't function properly for months.

I can believe that, but who knows? I believe he'll return some day, though. I don't see how he could stay away, even though I've seen some reports a while ago that he's given up directing for good.

Sounds like Norrington is turning into Captain Zero if he hadn't already.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Wesley Snipes recently said he would be interested in another Blade film, the first film was great, would love to see a 4th film.
    Id like to see it tie in with MCU and the Avengers, however Vampires would a bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Wesley Snipes recently said he would be interested in another Blade film, the first film was great, would love to see a 4th film.

Only if David Goyer isn't the director. I don't think it'd work, anyway. Snipes is what, 55? His character ages slowly, but Snipes isn't ageing well.

I can't even begin to guess Kris Kristofferson's age. (edited: 78 years old) Either the Blade series has a new cast or forget it.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Haven't the Blade rights reverted back to Marvel?

If so, any new Blade film would be PG-13 with a new cast.