Options

Would you have the balls to do this with your bank?

g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:mad::mad::mad:
The law (The Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187) states that a bank cannot take bank charges out of your bank account if you recieve certain benefits into your bank account.

Despite this, my bank refuses to give a refund for the charges (£260) that they've taken from me over the past 3 years.

I know that I've a direct debit going out on Monday and it will leave me overdrawn by about £260.

I've written them a letter stating:-

1) The unauthorized overdraft will only be paid back when they refund me the £260 that they've illegally taken from my account

2) I don't accept liability for any bank charges that are incurred because I'm going to be overdrawn.

3) After Monday, any deposits are for my use only and not to be used to pay off the overdraft. e.g. Incapacity Benefit, BGC, cash over the counter, etc

4) I should be able to use the rest of the features of my bank account as normal. e.g. direct debits, pay bills, etc

Comments

• Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    G-BHXU..... that was the helicopter used in Interceptor. :eek:
    (sorry it's off topic)
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (sorry it's off topic)
    Did you Google that or do you just happen to know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    Did you Google that or do you just happen to know?
    OK - i'm an anorak... i recognised it as an aircraft registration...... THEN i googled it!! :D
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    The law (The Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187) states that a bank cannot take bank charges out of your bank account if you recieve certain benefits into your bank account.

Despite this, my bank refuses to give a refund for the charges (£260) that they've taken from me over the past 3 years.

I know that I've a direct debit going out on Monday and it will leave me overdrawn by about £260.

1) The unauthorized overdraft will only be paid back when they refund me the £260 that they've illegally taken from my account

2) I don't accept liability for any bank charges that are incurred because I'm going to be overdrawn.

3) After Monday, any deposits are for my use only and not to be used to pay off the overdraft. e.g. Incapacity Benefit, BGC, cash over the counter, etc

4) I should be able to use the rest of the features of my bank account as normal. e.g. direct debits, pay bills, etc

I don't quite get your meaning.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its worth a shot, though 4) might be stretching it a bit....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK - i'm an anorak... i recognised it as an aircraft registration...... THEN i googled it!! :D
    I respect and admire your courage in admitting your anorakhood. If only I had your strength...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    I respect and admire your courage in admitting your anorakhood. If only I had your strength...
    Your respect and admiration graciously received. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your respect and admiration graciously received. :D
    My pleasure. I also apologise to the OP for hijacking their thread. Sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    desired outcome: here have £260
    actual longterm outcome: banks refuse to give anyone on these benifits a bank account
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP,

Have you actually had a judgement made in your favour, which states that the bank has taken your money in error and it is obliged to refund the money. Or is it a case that you think they have done so, but they have not agreed that this is the case?

If it is the former, then I would really suggest you progress your entitlement to the refund with the proper authorities and also inform them of any additional charges you receive as a result of their refusal of refunding the money.

If it is the latter, then I am afraid the most likely outcome will be somewhere along the lines of.

1) they do not recognise an "illegal" removal of money from your account. Your "unauthorised" overdraft however breaks the condition of your bank account. Result you will be charged, if they allow the direct debit to go through in the first place.

2) As above, the overdraft is unauthorised and charges will be made as per the terms and conditions of the account.

3) All deposits will be used to service the debts and charges of your account.

4) You may get restrictions placed on the account to make sure you do not get into the overdraft again.

If you are in the latter situation, I would really suggest you progress your claim through the legal channels.
  • Options
    100 monkeys100 monkeys Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, do you know about the ongoing OFT test case about these charges? I'm not sure about the issue of certain benefits being payed into the account protecting it from banks taking money out of it. But the High Court has just ruled that all of these charges are subject to fairness as defined by the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (UTCCRs).

Many people have, and many more will, rightfully claim back some of the billions of pounds banks have stolen from people. After all, isn't taking money without permission the definition of stealing? Dam, even the government have to ask for money from you, they can't just take it like banks do. Even if the banks had the right to impose these charges (which, legally, they don't. At least to the extent to which they have) they should have to ask for it and pursue it through the courts if they don't get it? It's criminal i tells ya!

As Chipmunk says this will probably mean that banks will alter current policies, including things like charging to use cashpoints (esp. abroad) and many other ninja charges, to wring more money from us. Greedy buggers.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Section 187 of The Social Security Administration Act 1992, reads as follows:-
    Miscellaneous

187 Certain benefit to be inalienable (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—
    (a) benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;
    (b) any income-related benefit; or
    (c) child benefit,
    and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.
    (2) In the application of subsection (1) above to Scotland—
    (a) the reference to assignment of benefit shall be read as a reference to assignation, “assign” being construed accordingly;
    (b) the reference to a beneficiary’s bankruptcy shall be read as a reference to the sequestration of his estate or the appointment on his estate of a judicial factor under section 41 of the [1980 c. 46.] Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980.
    (3) In calculating for the purposes of section 5 of the [1869 c. 62.] Debtors Act 1869 or section 4 of the [1882 c. 42.] Civil Imprisonment (Scotland) Act 1882 the means of any beneficiary, no account shall be taken of any increase of disablement benefit in respect of a child or of industrial death benefit.

link to source

Sorry, but whereabouts does it say anything about bank charges ?

I think it all depends on your definition of the word "inalienable". You may be right, but from reading the above, I'm not at all sure.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    be prepare to open a new bank account is all i can say, especially if it is natwest, talking from personnel experience
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to blueblade

187 Certain benefit to be inalienable (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on

i.e. the bank is taking money what the DWP says I need to live off for bank charges.

Incidentally, the charges were incurred because the DWP decided that despite having a serious heart condition I was fit enough to go back to work and forced to live off just £47 a week for 6 months!

And as usual, the DWP won't admit it's their fault I incurred the charges
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to blueblade

187 Certain benefit to be inalienable (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on

Yes, but is that at source ?

Once it's in someone's bank it surely cannot be distinguished from other funds.

That said, I still don't blame you for kicking up a stink, and I hope you're right, and win your case. At the very least you've given the bank a headache to resolve :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, some of the banks have a nasty habit of sending out letters stating that, due to an irrevocable breakdown in the relationship between the provider of the service (the bank) and the client (the OP in this case) they are closing the account!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (sorry it's off topic)

It was the one that ferried the contestants to their start positions, yeah (not actually the main 'Interceptor' one). Prior to that it was the skyrunner helicopter in Treasure Hunt. ;)
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lloyds collared me for going less than a pound over my overdraft limit and i only went over because they put their overdraft fee on just a few hours before my benefit went in. i'm not going to challenge it though because they'll just close the account and i won't get one anywhere else with a debit card. most banks will let you off one charge every 6 months if you ring and moan about it.

OP maybe you need to manage your money better? £260 must add up to quite a few times that you've gone over your limit. to be fair to the banks they do tell you what will happen if you go over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The charges are for twice being overdrawn when a direct debit was taken out on a Friday instead of the next Monday (2x3x£30), 2 failed direct debits (£70) and the interest (@8%) that the courts say you are allowed to add from the date you first try and claim the money back from them.

2 Direct Debits.

The first for £34 to TV Liciencing (would have took me £20 overdrawn), the second for £296 to the bank (would have took me £290 overdrawn.)

Guess which one was paid and which one was not paid?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    That said, I still don't blame you for kicking up a stink, and I hope you're right, and win your case. At the very least you've given the bank a headache to resolve :cool:

I agree, do kick up a stink.

But I would just like to empasise what I said before. If it has been agreed by a legal body that in your case that they owe you the money. Then chase the relevant bodies for the money.

If you have not had a case heard and it is your interpretation of the law compared to the banks. Then I would stongly recommend pursuing the approproate channels and not taking unauthorised overdrafts (if at all possible) to get back what you think is owed to you. It will end up with fees and would probably not act in your favour.
  • Options
    AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    In reply to blueblade

i.e. the bank is taking money what the DWP says I need to live off for bank charges.

Incidentally, the charges were incurred because the DWP decided that despite having a serious heart condition I was fit enough to go back to work and forced to live off just £47 a week for 6 months!

And as usual, the DWP won't admit it's their fault I incurred the charges

I think you may be misunderstanding the specific meaning of 'charge' here. I am not a lawyer - but to me this looks like it is relating to bankruptcy style proceedings. A 'charge' over assets is similar to a mortgage on a house (which is one type of 'charge') - if you don;t pay the lender can claim back their asset over which they have a 'charge'. The meaning is probably that after bankruptcy no one can take these benefits from you to pay other bills covered by a legal charge.
    Nothing to do with bank charges on bank accounts.

I cannot believe that every parent in the country receiving child benefit was exempt from having to meet the terms and conditions of their bank accounts without incurring bank charges.
    (Though I do agree that some of these charges are excessive, and you may have a valid claim - ,may be better to get advice from somewhere like CAB or a site like moneysavingsexpert.com before firing off a letter that could result in you being asked to close your account).