Options

Taking Simvastatin!

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Started taking Simvastatin 10mg given to me by the doctor after one year of exercise and diet changes including eating oats for breakfast has made little or no difference to the raised LDL level (3.2) high Triglycerides level (2.8) and overall total cholesterol 6.1%

The doctor said it was my choice but i worried about all these side effects i had read about and the doctor confirmed these are possible. I decided to give a go to it and my doctor said as you go on the lowest dose it is unlikely to cause you all these symptoms. I have been on it for 10 days now taking it at night before sleep.

Now ten days on, i feel weak, having a vomiting like feeling all day, feel tired and nausea, also dont feel like eating much and am feeling pain and weakness in my arms and legs.

I am unsure if i have just got a nasty virus or infection or these is because of the medication which i have only taken for ten days and the lowest dose there is... does this sound like the sort of thing Samvastatin causes? side effects, any experiences or advice here please!

I want to stop it, but i am worried it must just be a cold or something and i might be blaming it for it!

Comments

• Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back to your doctor and explain these symptoms.
    It is possible to have these side effects (the leaflet that came with the pills will explain).
    Your doctor is the only one to talk to about this.
    I take a different statin which gives me muscle aches, my doctor tells me I can't change now as I've had most of the others and this is the best for me.
    The others gave me bad side effects.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a slight wheezy cough and a bruise on my left knee, but apart from that, I'm fine
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Go back to your doctor and explain these symptoms.
    It is possible to have these side effects (the leaflet that came with the pills will explain).
    Your doctor is the only one to talk to about this.
    I take a different statin which gives me muscle aches, my doctor tells me I can't change now as I've had most of the others and this is the best for me.
    The others gave me bad side effects.

I did think this was in the advice forum may i add but am clueless as how to move it from the general, general discussion forums!
  • Options
    Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took them for a while & was fine at first then I started getting really bad cramps in my legs that kept me awake all night. When I mentioned it to my GP she took me straight off them as my level wasn't dangerously high.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite often the symptoms disappear after a few weeks, 10 days is not that long, tough it out a bit longer, it's better than getting coronary heart disease!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been taking the 20mg Simvastatin for about 5 weeks now and haven't noticed any side effects...........

But the Doc told me that the most common side effect that people notice is muscle pain, which I guess could include cramps
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I started taking it at 40mg about 5 years ago and had some slight aches for a while. Those passed after a few weeks.

Though I had the dose reduced to 20mg 3 years ago as it tended to give me the runs in the morning.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on 20mg simvastatin for nearly two years now. the first month or so I had some muscle aches but after that they disappeared and I've been fine. My cholesterol went down from 8.8 to 5.3.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was started on 40mg but got terrible muscle pains, but was then reduced to 20mg and have been O.K. since and my cholestorol has dropped. Your symptoms sound like a nasty virus which is going around at the moment.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds just as likely to be a virus, or a "good night" the day before. I'd give it a week and go back to the docs if it's getting no better.
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I did a lot of research into Simvastatin because I was put on it and I had terrible aches and pains and just felt awful.

Anyway, what I found out is that Simvastatin is the cheapest Statin on the market and doctors give it out to people because it doesn't break their budget. I went to my GP and told him that and he agreed. I told him I didn't want the cheapest on the market, I wanted one of the best which is called "Lipitor aka Atorvastatin". He gave it to me and I've had no side effects ever since.

Simvastatin is equivalent to Tesco's Basics/Asda Smartprice when it comes to Statins.