Options

Panasonic Plasma Cracked Screen Internally

keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A bit of a long shot, but a family friend yesterday got home turned on his 42" Panasonic plasma for it to spark and a crack appear on the screen internally.

Has anyone experienced similar? There are instances of it happening with Samsung plasmas, are Panasonic screens manufactured by Samsung??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    A bit of a long shot, but a family friend yesterday got home turned on his 42" Panasonic plasma for it to spark and a crack appear on the screen internally.

Has anyone experienced similar? There are instances of it happening with Samsung plasmas, are Panasonic screens manufactured by Samsung??

No, Panasonic manufacture their own - as do LG.

Those are the only three left now.

I would suggest the set was actually physically damaged, causing the fault, rather than it just happening - it sounds VERY unlikely, as a service engineer I've never heard of it happening.
  • Options
    in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I've heard this many times "It cracked when I turned it on". In all the cases I've come across careful examination will reveal a slight impact mark on the outer UV filter.

It's now almost as easy to damage newer plasma's as an LCD. Older plasma's had a small air gap between the plasma panel (PDP) and the UV screen. To reduce unwanted reflections the UV filter is now bonded directly onto the PDP.

The PDP is glass and the UV filter is probably some polycarbonate material which does not crack unless hit very hard, now being bonded directly the shock of an impact to the front is transfered directly to the glass PDP which will crack much more readily.

See here :D
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps, as I suspected, left the trade a few years back and had not heard of it, but plasma was relatively new then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi guys I just found your forum and message regarding this problem. I have the Panasonic TXP42VT20B new in June @ £999. I left the TV on in the room last Saturday for 45-60 mins when I came back the TV was off. I tried to switch back on and nothing! Then I looked at the screen and there was a spider crack top right hand side!! I was in the house on my own, no kids, no pets and I KNOW 1000% it had not been hit or damaged.

The Panasonic agents report to Panasonic UK 'we have examined the set and can confirm this is no signs of impact and the set is in first class condition.............'

Panasonic reply was that 'Cracks like this are often not manufacture defect'

Panasonic have refused to repair the TV despite it being 4 months old, this effectively write off the £999 TV as it now sells for £799 and the repair would be in excess of £650.

OFTEN seems an interesting choice of words??

To anybody interested I repeat I KNOW 1000% THIS HAS NOT BEEN ABUSED, HIT OR DAMAGED. This TV puts out a huge amount of heat I wonder if this is a factor?? I am finding more and more people via Google who are experiencing the same or similar problem I will not give up on this and will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To anybody interested I repeat I KNOW 1000% THIS HAS NOT BEEN ABUSED, HIT OR DAMAGED. This TV puts out a huge amount of heat I wonder if this is a factor?? I am finding more and more people via Google who are experiencing the same or similar problem I will not give up on this and will let you know how it goes.

Is it possible it was "pre-cracked" before and then gave up the ghost later when the TV heated up?

I'm not suggesting this was the case as I really don't know, I'm just asking if that is a possibility?
  • Options
    in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    As I said in a previous post every screen I've seen has had some evidence allbeit in some very slight.

This type of damage (the spider web) I have only seen on the newer type panels with the bonded UV screen, and these later types run much cooler than earlier panels so I very much doubt it's a heat issue.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen only a materials expert could answer that one.

I was alerted that some Fujitsu/Hitachi panels could suffer cracks several years ago but I never saw one. This took the form of a characteristic L shaped tear.

As bobcar says the orignal impact could have happened earlier. I've certainly seen cracked panels work OK only to give up the ghost days or weeks later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To anybody interested I repeat I KNOW 1000% THIS HAS NOT BEEN ABUSED, HIT OR DAMAGED.

Well as you could NEVER possibly know even 100% that nothing has hit it, I don't see how exaggerating at 1000% helps your cause?.

It's even possible that the damage was done before the crack appeared, and only cracked as the glass warned up - rather like a chip in a windscreen.

All your rights are against the dealer you purchased the set from - you need to be arguing with them, not Panasonic or their service agents.
  • Options
    freeview_userfreeview_user Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Well as you could NEVER possibly know even 100% that nothing has hit it, I don't see how exaggerating at 1000% helps your cause?.

It's even possible that the damage was done before the crack appeared, and only cracked as the glass warned up - rather like a chip in a windscreen.

All your rights are against the dealer you purchased the set from - you need to be arguing with them, not Panasonic or their service agents.

I was about to mention that but you beat me to it :D
    As said before there could have been a hair line crack on the screen and the heat has made the crack even bigger. If you bought it from a Panasonic Dealer and you have a 5 year warranty you could get it replaced/repaired but I think that only covers internal failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and you have a 5 year warranty you could get it replaced/repaired but I think that only covers internal failure.

Warranties cover 'manufacturing defects', not damage - I imagine the set is under warranty?, and that's his complaint - that the service agent won't do it under warranty. I can see their point, their are obliged to stick to the rules - plus Panasonic wouldn't pay the claim, and they would be £100's out of pocket.
  • Options
    freeview_userfreeview_user Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Warranties cover 'manufacturing defects', not damage - I imagine the set is under warranty?, and that's his complaint - that the service agent won't do it under warranty. I can see their point, their are obliged to stick to the rules - plus Panasonic wouldn't pay the claim, and they would be £100's out of pocket.

I see, I guess someone will have to pay.
    I also see Panasonic's point. They are the best for support so if it was their fault they would more than likely fix it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats roten luck.
    Can you not claim off the house insurance, seeing has it happened in the house accidently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Appologies Nigel for the 1000% but I know people will try it on when they know its been hit and try and get it under warranty and I appreciate Panasonic and every other manufacturer have to make the decision whether its been abused or not. I'm in business and I understand how people try it on and a company has to make a profit whilst doing the right thing by people etc etc.

I just wanted to emphasise that between the TV working perfectly (in HD with perfect picture) and me coming back into the room (about 45-60 minutes) I know nothing hit it as there was nothing or nobody to hit it.

I mentioned earlier about the heat generated from the TV - It generated so much heat that you could feel it on the palm of your hand 6" from the screen like a radiator and even hotter from the top. So much so that we would turn off the heat in the room if the TV was on. I went to Currys this evening and none of their Panasonic neo plasma 42" or 50" TV's put out anything like the heat that mine did. I can't help wondering if this could be a factor? Also the TV would switch itself off whilst you were watching it and automatically come back on after a few seconds like some kind of thermal cut out?

With regards to claiming off the insurance - my home insurance covers accidental damage but there hasnt been any accidental damage, I'm not prepared to lie to them I would rather get to the truth of what's happened and for Panasonic to live up to their warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you been in touch with your supplier?, all your rights are against them.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to claiming off the insurance - my home insurance covers accidental damage but there hasnt been any accidental damage, I'm not prepared to lie to them I would rather get to the truth of what's happened and for Panasonic to live up to their warranty.

I would keep your powder dry on that option at the moment, and keep that as a "last resort" if you get no satisfaction from your dealer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers guys for the info, anything is appreciated. I bought it from Amazon, a dealer in Hampshire supplied it. I'm not quite sure who I need to contact, Amazon or the company that supplied it.

I have tried to call the company in Hampshire but there is a message they are moving premises and cant answer the phone.

Will keep trying and let you guys know how I get on.

Thanks again

Paul
  • Options
    suziequesuzieque Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Cheers guys for the info, anything is appreciated. I bought it from Amazon, a dealer in Hampshire supplied it. I'm not quite sure who I need to contact, Amazon or the company that supplied it.

I have tried to call the company in Hampshire but there is a message they are moving premises and cant answer the phone.

Will keep trying and let you guys know how I get on.

Thanks again

Paul

Should have gone to Richersounds.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop it down the stairs and claim on your house insurance!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My Panasonic TX-P50GT30B developed an internal crack in August 2013 that ran from the top to the bottom of the screen. Panasonic replaced it under the 5 year warranty eventually but it took about 3 months to sort out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    akcampbell wrote: »
    My Panasonic TX-P50GT30B developed an internal crack in August 2013 that ran from the top to the bottom of the screen. Panasonic replaced it under the 5 year warranty eventually but it took about 3 months to sort out.

Were you initially told it had been physically damaged?.