Options

Why are there no crossover episodes in the UK?

g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apart from Holby City, Holby Blue and Casualty; and Dr Who and Torchwood, I've never seen any crossover episodes of drama series in the UK.

Surely, they could do some sort of crossover episodes with Coronation Street and Emmerdale?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have wondered that myself. Always thought a Midsommer Murders/A Touch of Frost crossover would have been good, could have been called either A Touch of Murder or Midsommer Frost
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is that many actors move from one prog to another. e.g. Casualty is home to all the cast-offs from The Bill, Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale. e.g. Patsy Kensit from Emmerdale is in Holby City. Natalie Robb was in High Road and is now in Emmerdale, The guy from Taggart is in Corrie. And Bradley Walsh has moved from Corrie to The Chase.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If The Bill was still going then a crossover with Eastenders would be great even if the show seems to employ many of the same actors.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bill did an excellent cross over with a German cop show, I think one of the characters even appeared in the German show when the bill was axed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Aren't most/all crossover episodes on American TV done so because the shows involved are 'owned' by the same people? Hence why we get the Holby crossovers.

Also, Tanya Turner from Footballers Wives was banged up on drugs charges and appeared for a few episodes of Bad Girls (both shows run by Shed media).

In terms of soaps then it is true that a lot of cast members have featured in different shows as other characters making cross-overs a bit awkward.

I think the East Street Comic Relief sketch would have been great done this year with Stella involved and going to Walford (imagine Ian's face)
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Apart from Holby City, Holby Blue and Casualty; and Dr Who and Torchwood, I've never seen any crossover episodes of drama series in the UK.

Surely, they could do some sort of crossover episodes with Coronation Street and Emmerdale?

Are there many shows from the US, that are or were big in the UK, that have crossover episodes?

Also, it's useful to distiguish between crossover episodes between shows that are, and are not, already linked. Holby City, Holby Blue and Casualty were created as linked shows in the same fictional universe to begin with. Ditto Dr Who and Torchwood. Coronation Street and Emmerdale were not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there many shows from the US, that are or were big in the UK, that have crossover episodes?...

My favourite (soz it's Merikan) was when the doctors from St Elsewhere went and had a drink in the Cheers bar :D

But, yep, guess we'll never see them over here because the series seem to be run independently... but I'm sure the stressed ones from Corrie or Albert Sq would love to have a holiday in the 'carefree' Emmerdale :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget The Royle and Heartbeat.
  • Options
    studio_twostudio_two Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Are there many shows from the US, that are or were big in the UK, that have crossover episodes?

Magnum / Murder, She Wrote.
    Mission Impossible / Diagnosis Murder
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    E.R./Third Watch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always thought that having a crossover between eastenders and eldorado could have saved that soap. maybe have a big storyline move from one to the other.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depending on where you look in the UK, NCIS / NCIS: LA / Hawaii 5-0 have all crossed over.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Munch is the king of coss-over characters having linked Homicide:Life On The Street with
    • Law & Order
    • Law & Order:SVU
    • Law & Order:Trial by Jury
    • The X Files
    • The WIre
    • Jimmy Kimmel live
    • The Beat
    • Arrested Development
    And at a stretch
    • Sesame Street
    • Luther

So having crossed ABC, NBC, FOX, HBO, UPN and the BBC. Though only HLOTS & the L&O franchise actually had cross over episodes rather than cameos

David E Kelly shows were also prone to it with cross overs between
    • Picket Fences & Chicago Hope
    • The Practice and Ally McBeal ,Boston Public & Boston Legal

CSI of course has crossed over within the three cities and had a trilogy of episodes spanning all three shows as well as crossing with Without a Trace and Cold Case

More recently Grey's Anatomy & Private Practice seem to do it every season
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a Dr Who / Sherlock crossover episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

And why not... There were a couple of Star Trek NextGen-Sherlock eps as it was one of the scenarios Data used to frequent... damned useful those holodeck thingies :D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    John Munch is the king of coss-over characters having linked Homicide:Life On The Street with
    • Law & Order
    • Law & Order:SVU
    • Law & Order:Trial by Jury
    • The X Files
    • The WIre
    • Jimmy Kimmel live
    • The Beat
    • Arrested Development
    And at a stretch
    • Sesame Street
    • Luther

I realise you said "at a stretch",but would point out that the Munch character in the Special Letters Unit sketch in Sesame Street was not voiced by Richard Belzer.

Another crossover I remember is Crossing Jordan and Las Vegas.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I imagining things or was there a cross over between Coronation Street and the short lived Albion Market soap?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the Comic Relief crossover with Coronation Street and Eastenders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTYY3qONHM
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are a number of examples, as listed above, buts its certainly true that UIK shows dont crossover like they do in the USA. Its a shame I would like to see more of it.
    phill363 wrote: »
    the bill did an excellent cross over with a German cop show, I think one of the characters even appeared in the German show when the bill was axed
    I had not heard this, do you know anymore?
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »

Corrie and Emmedale has kind of been done in an Emmerdale VHS special, which at least establishes they both exist in the same bubble (Reg Holdsworth crossed over). I'd like to see a small crossover
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    And why not...

Persuambly because in Dr Who's universe Sherlock Holmes is a ficticious character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Maybe a story where the Doctor becomes Sir Arthur's inspiration for Holmes.:D
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showing my age but Simon & Simon crossed over with Whiz Kids! How many others will remember that!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order for a crossover to work, the whole premise has to be feasible in-universe. In CSI/NCIS, SOCO may well share expertise... as would other police forces during an episode of, say, The Bill.

But not with many... unless they have shared backstory.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    there are a number of examples, as listed above, buts its certainly true that UIK shows dont crossover like they do in the USA. Its a shame I would like to see more of it.

I had not heard this, do you know anymore?

I think the German actor didn't speak any English, and just learnt his lines and knew when to speak them, without understanding what he was saying!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the German actor didn't speak any English, and just learnt his lines and knew when to speak them, without understanding what he was saying!
    yes I noticed that to, about the guy who was the German lead cop, struggled with his English, and was sidelined because of it.

The Bill and SOKO Leipzig is a pretty unique crossover, when you think about it.