Leona Lewis's Tweets About The Grand National

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If these horses are "forced" around the National ... Tell me why riderless horses CONTINUE in the race???
    This year no horses or jockeys where hurt and the fences etc where lowered

Just look at today, the riderless horse came second.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell a lot of people posting on this forum have never ridden a horse much, no one can force half a ton of horse to do anything, I spent 2 years working a racing yard, one horse was a stubborn mare, at the gallops some days she'd just plant her feet and refuse to budge, neither the rider or her trainer flapping his arms around and shouting "shooo!" could get her move a single yard, she move when SHE wanted to no matter what!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can tell a lot of people posting on this forum have never ridden a horse much, no one can force half a ton of horse to do anything, I spent 2 years working a racing yard, one horse was a stubborn mare, at the gallops some days she'd just plant her feet and refuse to budge, neither the rider or her trainer flapping his arms around and shouting "shooo!" could get her move a single yard, she move when SHE wanted to no matter what!

You even see that in the Grand National. If a horse doesn't want to start it won't bloody start.

Anyway where's Leona's "outrage" the rest of the year?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You even see that in the Grand National. If a horse doesn't want to start it won't bloody start.

Anyway where's Leona's "outrage" the rest of the year?

She's always been campaigning for animals, and in particular horses. It's not like she just suddenly decided to have an opinion on this.

http://www.hopefield.org.uk/leonas-mission-statement/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a pupil at the Northern Racing College and one day we rode some old, long retired racehorses doing boring stuff plodding around a small paddock, our instuctor said "right, take 'em for a walk across them fields down the lane", once we got there us kids all looked at each other "shall we let them go for a spin?, yeah, lets do it!", we set off and after about 10 strides the horses were all off with us trainees clinging on no more than mere passengers, they flew along, ears pricked pulling the reins through our inexperienced fingers, somehow we managed to pull them up after one circuit, one boy went round twice. Those horses loved it, it must have brought back all those memories of when they young racers, they were thrilled to bits with themselves, prancing about up the lane like a bunch of premier footballers that've just scored a goal!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member

Pretty much. A racehorse has many times the strength and weight of a human. If they so desired, they could easily buck off the rider and kill them. They are runners and jumpers instinctively. The rider merely guides and controls their route. Left to their own devices a horse will run for miles anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She's always been campaigning for animals, and in particular horses. It's not like she just suddenly decided to have an opinion on this.

I just read Leona's mission statement, I can only dream of living in a world where everybody cared as much for animals as Leona does, I may not agree with her views on the National, but she has a kind heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

She wants to help abused or neglected animals yet she's ranting about something that would result in MORE of these if horse racing was abolished?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to go riding a lot as a youngster, I learnt this the hard way :cool::D:D:D

While I disagree with Leona her heart is in the right place. She does seem to genuinely care about animals, so good on her.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How odd, without media how would she hope to promote her career as a singer if not through interviews, magazine promos etc.?

Most of this animal welfare stuff she does, and she does a HUGE amount of it - way more than her singing - is never mentioned in the press.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these horses are "forced" around the National ... Tell me why riderless horses CONTINUE in the race???

Errr... because that's what they've been bred and trained to do?
    This year no horses or jockeys where hurt and the fences etc where lowered

Well, except for the one that died jumping the fences on Thursday.

Personally I'd be happy for the Grand National to continue as it is but only if the jockey is shot in the head alongside their horse if they have to be put down.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

Personally I'd be happy for the Grand National to continue as it is but only if the jockey is shot in the head alongside their horse if they have to be put down.

I was only talking about the Grand National .. Horses die on race courses often ..yet no one bitches about it .. Bitching about the National appears to be a bandwagon and Leona is jumping on it
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I used to go riding a lot as a youngster, I learnt this the hard way :cool::D:D:D

While I disagree with Leona her heart is in the right place. She does seem to genuinely care about animals, so good on her.

I agree, she has a kind heart, which is very nice :) Clearly its something she's passionate about. In some ways the fact it isnt mentioned is even better because if it was, some might say she was only doing it for publicity or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why stop at horses, perhaps irresponsible dog owners who don't keep their dogs on a lead near a busy road ought to be put down if their dog gets run over. If it makes it you feel any better I knew a young jockey many years ago, he rode flat racers, his horse stumbled in a sprint whilst at top speed pitching him off over it's head, the horse behind traveling at over 40mph couldn't avoid treading on him and his hoof crushed straight through the jockeys chest with massive force killing him, he left a girlfriend and 4 year old son, RIP Sam Wood.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why stop at horses, perhaps irresponsible dog owners who don't keep their dogs on a lead near a busy road ought to be put down if their dog gets run over. If it makes it you feel any better I knew a young jockey many years ago, he rode flat racers, his horse stumbled in a sprint whilst at top speed pitching him off over it's head, the horse behind traveling at over 40mph couldn't avoid treading on him and his hoof crushed straight through the jockeys chest with massive force killing him, he left a girlfriend and 4 year old son, RIP Sam Wood.

Ah well, I'm sure he knew the risks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, I'm sure he knew the risks.

You're all heart, it's always sad when a sportsman killed wether it's a little known jockey or Ayrton Senna.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh god that is terrible :(:(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I agree, she has a kind heart, which is very nice :) Clearly its something she's passionate about. In some ways the fact it isnt mentioned is even better because if it was, some might say she was only doing it for publicity or something.

I'm no fan or follower, but it seems she does a lot for the issue so I doubt its for publicity. She may be being short sighted but I don't see what is wrong with being passionate about an issue you care about.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't stand Leona.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have to laugh at some of the people on here claiming that Leona is "jumping on the bandwagon" and is only interested in voicing her opinion on something that will get her in the media spotlight. Nobody thinks to read her Hopefield statement. She's been campaigning and protesting for animal rights for a long time and has voiced her disapproval regarding many events or ways animals are treated. Obviously her criticising low-key events won't get her comments in the papers so no wonder no one here has read them. She's mouthing off about the Grand National now because it happening at the moment. She's seen news coverage about it and has reacted. Doesn't take a genius to realise this, does it? Anyone who thinks her comments are pretentious and fake are deluding themselves.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    she should have at least waited to see if any horses died until after the race before making a tweet which none had so making her look a bit silly

she should be appluading the steps taken to eleminate deaths this year but instead encourages 'the little people' (:rolleyes:) to be put down. ok so um, death to 'little' jockeys then! :confused:
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan or follower, but it seems she does a lot for the issue so I doubt its for publicity. She may be being short sighted but I don't see what is wrong with being passionate about an issue you care about.

BIB: Fair enough, agreed :)
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has always been very pro rights, I remember a few years ago when she was massive she was offered alot of money to open a Harrod's sale but turned it down because they sell fur, it was rumoured to be £1 million. Harrods confirmed she was offered it but said they never offered that much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    she should have at least waited to see if any horses died until after the race before making a tweet which none had so making her look a bit silly

she should be appluading the steps taken to eleminate deaths this year but instead encourages 'the little people' (:rolleyes:) to be put down. ok so um, death to 'little' jockeys then! :confused:

Didn't two horses die there in the last few days, though? Little Josh and Battlefront were their names, I believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

Two horses died before the race even took place.