• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh dear :(
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eeee Digital spy members lost this girl her job :o:o:o ......well her lickle lie about her age might have more to do with it. Gotta feel sorry for her though, what a missed opportunity, how they didn't clarify her age in the first place is sloppy!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think there is a lesson to be learnt here from all sides. For the actress don't lie. For corrie check who you are employing and the forum er well least said the better.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blame lies with whoever lied and thought it was a good idea to do so without thinking much about publicly available information on the internet, however I do feel sorry for her and hope perhaps they find her a role more suited.
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Eeee Digital spy members lost this girl her job :o:o:o ......well her lickle lie about her age might have more to do with it. Gotta feel sorry for her though, what a missed opportunity, how they didn't clarify her age in the first place is sloppy!

I don't think that's fair. It's completely ridiculous for a 25/26 year old woman to play a 14-year-old girl. She doesn't look anywhere near 14! In some pictures/youtube clips she even looks older than 25! She shouldn't have got the job in the first place - her and Corrie are to blame for this mess, not members of an online forum.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame - I'd rather they give her another role on the show... but it's her own fault for lying, I guess. How did she think she'd ever pull this lie off? She's been really misled by her agency... then again, if Corrie was willing to give someone who looks so much older than 14 a job in the first place, she may have still got the part if she had been honest from the off!
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    The blame lies with whoever lied and thought it was a good idea to do so without thinking much about publicly available information on the internet, however I do feel sorry for her and hope perhaps they find her a role more suited.

At least DS can feel better though knowing they have full filled their ambition of Corrie listening to them and acting upon it. Might not be Stuart Blackburn getting the sack, but at least it is a start.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »
    I don't think that's fair. It's completely ridiculous for a 25/26 year old woman to play a 14-year-old girl. She doesn't look anywhere near 14! In some pictures/youtube clips she even looks older than 25! She shouldn't have got the job in the first place - her and Corrie are to blame for this mess, not members of an online forum.

'This whole mess' wouldnt be a mess if it wasn't for super sleuths setting out to ruin a young actress' opportunity.

To us Corrie is a television show and it's largely irrelevant to our lives if Beth Platt looks a bit too old. To Katie, it was a career making opportunity that would have changed her life and now she may not be taken seriously again in the future.

Hope those 'oh so clever' investigators feel that justice has been done.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »

Erm ((shakes finger from side to side)) the sentence after your highlighted section clearly shows the first sentence is a joke. Lighten up! (((rollseyes)))
  • Options
    Dark_StarDark_Star Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I think the crux of the problem is that their was deceit and we all felt like we was being duped. Waterloo Road always cast much older actresses as students such as Tina O' Brien herself and nobody really complained but that was because there was no deceit.

Katie seems like a nice girl though and would probably of made a good Bethany so maybe we should all petition to get her job back!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least DS can feel better though knowing they have full filled their ambition of Corrie listening to them and acting upon it. Might not be Stuart Blackburn getting the sack, but at least it is a start.

😂😂😂😂😂

To be fair they just did the journalists jobs for them. Makes a change but it was never going to work and the girl would probably have wanted to leave after a year or two which wouldn't work! She seems to have done other work has raised her profile so it might not worry her too much. If she is good there will be other more age appropriate roles
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really a shame, I think Corrie would have been fine with it if she never lied in the first place, pretty sad. :(
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To us Corrie is a television show and it's largely irrelevant to our lives if Beth Platt looks a bit too old. To Katie, it was a career making opportunity that would have changed her life and now she may not be taken seriously again in the future.

I agree. Casting directors may not trust Katie or her agency in the future. If her agency isn't trusted, it affects every single actor on their books, not just Katie.
  • Options
    PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    So what if Digital Spy Members have identified the actresses real age??!!
    She should have told the truth in the first place!
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the soap has a lot of passionate and vocal fans who just want the soap to be the best it can be and when they can see it underpeforming and struggling they want to be heard.
    Dark_Star wrote: »
    I think the crux of the problem is that their was deceit and we all felt like we was being duped. Waterloo Road always cast much older actresses as students such as Tina O' Brien herself and nobody really complained but that was because there was no deceit.

Katie seems like a nice girl though and would probably of made a good Bethany so maybe we should all petition to get her job back!

Serial dramas can get away with casting older actors in younger roles, soap's it is different if the character is ear marked for long term things it become's hard because it daily/weekly viewing.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    'This whole mess' wouldnt be a mess if it wasn't for super sleuths setting out to ruin a young actress' opportunity.

I agree with this!! To all those who couldn't let this lie I really hope somebody does the same for you next time you step out of line... wiyh the same result!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    why can't the original Bethany still play her ?
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks aged Holly by a few years, but they didn't even try to hide that. They cast an older actress and I'm pretty sure released a statement saying that she is returning slightly older (she should be Tom's age, which is 14, but she's more like 17).
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I can understand older actresses fibbing about their age to get a role, it is harder for a woman to find work in the industry over a certain age than it is a man, but there is absolutely no excuse at 25.

I'd argue it's counter-productive at any age. Given how easy it is to check nowadays, is it really worth the potential career damage?
  • Options
    wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sad for the actress but she shouldn't have lied about her age. I wish her well for the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er no, they don't have any clout whatsoever and readership is minimal. It was the Sun.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

No, she lost herself her job. Anyone googling her name would have found out she was lying.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand older actresses fibbing out their age to get a role, it is harder for a woman to find work in the industry over a certain age than it is a man, but there is absolutely no excuse at 25.

I'd argue it's counter-productive at any age. Given how easy it is to check nowadays, is it really worth the potential career damage?

I agree, even without DS' intervention, this would have likely have been unearthed at some point (pretty much like every deception in the actual show)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I agree. I don't actually care how old she is - I was perfectly prepared to watch her on the show and form an opinion then as to how much I believed in her character.

But to play Devil's Advocate for a second, I do think if you're going to lie about your age, it's probably sensible, even vital, to change your Twitter name and delete your online CV beforehand, not after you've been cast and attracted the attention of the super sleuths. :(
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,843
    Forum Member
    It's really a shame, I think Corrie would have been fine with it if she never lied in the first place, pretty sad. :(

I think if she had been truthful about her age from the start then she wouldn't have even been considered, if it was her that lied or maybe her agent then the blame for her being dropped lays at their doors, no one else's and certainly not DS members.