Options

Loot Crate. Do you have to do an unboxing video? Is it worth the money?

Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if this has been discussed recently. I've tried the search function and noting appears.

Has anybody here used Loot Crate? If so is there an actual requirement to do an unboxing video? I do have a small**, but apparently dedicated following on my websites but wouldn't want to appear in a video though photos and text wouldn't be an issue.

I've looked around the www.lootcrate.com site and can't seem to find anything, though my FB wall and YouTube page do feature several unboxing videos each month which makes me wonder.

Also is it value for money? The basic 1 month plan is $29.95 (right now £20.50) including P&P.

**Though if I spent more time working on the site I know this would be much higher, based on my other pages that haven't been updated in 2 months but still attracted reasonable figures (considering)

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i just looked at your link but it`s everything i hate in web pages so i got rid, what is it?

i watch uboxings and a lot just video their hands, that`s a bit more anonymous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just looked at your link but it`s everything i hate in web pages so i got rid, what is it?

i watch uboxings and a lot just video their hands, that`s a bit more anonymous.

The link goes straight to the home page as far as I know. From my understanding you pay between $29.95 (1 month) down to $26.00 (x 12 months) and receive a box of geeky goodies.

I forgot about the videos just featuring hands and the product, though I hate my voice as it sounds far too monotone (to me anyway!)
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch those videos, I just get jealous.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like an overpriced box filled with things you would probably find in your local pound store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch those videos, I just get jealous.

That's one of the reasons which has made me finally look in to it. For the last year or so I've seen people with lot's of cool goodies and I wanted 'in' or at least to know what the criac was.

And as a side note I know if there were an extra incentive I would finally improve my web offerings and hopefully see the visitor counter climb to it's previous highs.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    So instead of going out to buy what you actually want, you pay to have some random stuff sent to you which may or may not be of any use to you. Is that right?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    So instead of going out to buy what you actually want, you pay to have some random stuff sent to you which may or may not be of any use to you. Is that right?

Yeah, just bear in the mind that the items in the box will cost a fraction of the price you're paying, of course.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked at the website, and while I wouldn't dream of subscribing to something like that (if I want cheap but often useful stuff I visit my local Poundland) , there's one question it didn't answer : what's an unboxing video?
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've looked at the website, and while I wouldn't dream of subscribing to something like that (if I want cheap but often useful stuff I visit my local Poundland) , there's one question it didn't answer : what's an unboxing video?

It's a video made where someone takes something out of a box or bag and usually waxes lyrical about whatever it is. I can't think of much that is more pointless to watch.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    So, is this thread really just an advert for this "lootcrate" nonsense? :confused:
  • Options
    hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my partner a sub for Christmas. We'd have kept it going but found out we're expecting so we had to get rid of some non-essentials. I thought the boxes were really fun and they do have exclusives in (certainly not things you'd find in a £ shop lol). I think you can get a 1 month sub, so why not just give it a try?

No you don't have to do an unboxing video. :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand any of this. Oh God I'm so old.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    The link goes straight to the home page as far as I know. From my understanding you pay between $29.95 (1 month) down to $26.00 (x 12 months) and receive a box of geeky goodies.

I forgot about the videos just featuring hands and the product, though I hate my voice as it sounds far too monotone (to me anyway!)

Don't bother.

Invest in your reviews (the whole unboxing process) until you develop a decent following. When this happens, some companies will get in touch with you to offer you free stuff in return for unboxing their stuff on your video channel or wherever you do your reviews.

You can always contact some companies and ask if they're interested in sending you samples or whatnot. Once you've developed a good working relationship, they'll put you on their list of reviewers so that when there's a new product or whatnot, they send it to you without asking you first.

As for your voice? That's something you have to get over if you're interested in doing this lark. :D

Edited:
    Sorry! I didn't answer your actual question. Judging by that site: no, you don't have to do an unboxing video.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I don't understand any of this. Oh God I'm so old.

:D I don't know about that site, but there's a huge market for those to unbox and/or review a new product on video.

Received a new router in the post? Film yourself unboxing it while making comments to outline your reaction to said unboxing and seeing the router itself. There's a lot of viewers that love this sort of thing. :D
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's tut in a box which will end up in landfill.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yea pretty much lol. But you can make money out of it.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they just want your money and not your unboxing videos.

Is it worth it? Of course not. I'm new to this concept but it's obviously a legal rip-of.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems like the modern equivalent of those mystery bags they used to sell in HMV containing five singles they couldn't shift in any other way.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Its probably not worth the money but nothing you buy is. It also doesnt contain items you can buy in the pound shop and features exclusive products. I would subscribe if it was cheaper and not an american company. And of course you dont have to do an unboxing what kind of a business model would that be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    It's a video made where someone takes something out of a box or bag and usually waxes lyrical about whatever it is. I can't think of much that is more pointless to watch.

it`s really useful if you`re shopping for something, especially online and some go through the set up so i do watch for that too.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think of them as materialistic mass market drivel shipped off to people who follow the crowd.

I know that sounds hash.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it`s really useful if you`re shopping for something, especially online and some go through the set up so i do watch for that too.

I've watched some unboxing videos for items that I was thinking about buying, and in that context they can be useful. For me it tends to be TV/movie box sets; to get a sense of size and sturdiness of the box, internal artwork, how the discs are held etc. But I don't quite get what the OP is talkig about; unboxing a bunch of unknown random items?
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit pointless to me, a christmas hamper sort of thing, but for gamers and tech, and not at christmas. Perhaps try one and see how good the stuff is inside.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I've gotten a few of the Horror Block ones but I might try a different one this month. I don't do videos but that's because people in America do videos days before i get mine and I can't help but look at what's in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I've watched some unboxing videos for items that I was thinking about buying, and in that context they can be useful. For me it tends to be TV/movie box sets; to get a sense of size and sturdiness of the box, internal artwork, how the discs are held etc. But I don't quite get what the OP is talkig about; unboxing a bunch of unknown random items?

i certainly don`t get the unknown item thing.

it`s good to see the scale of things i always look at camera bags for example, i`ve been caught out before,