Options

4K tv - set to be a massive flop?

Comments

• Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    BTW 1.3% of the population of the UK (63 Million) is 819,000. That's still a significant number of potential set sales even at that price.

A better figure is to base it on the number of Households (25M) whch brings it down to 325,000
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably have about 3 channels in 4k, then they'll announce 8k coming :D
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

They've already said it's coming...
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    They've already said it's coming...

So you have a link to a UK broadcaster that's announced they will be making or buying, and broadcasting 8K programmes then? And when?

And if you don't, who are these "they" of whom you speak?
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The last TV I bought was a 32" LCD in January this year - cost £240. I have a couple of HD receivers connected to it and the picture is big enough and good enough for me.

The sound could be better though.

But I am just about old enough to remember when colour was introduced in 1967.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

If you are at IBC ... Join the debate at
    Title: Go with UHD-1 or wait for UHD-2? - Produced in Association with SMPTE
    Date: 14 September 2014
    Time: 16:00 - 18:00

http://www.ibc.org/page.cfm/action=Seminar/libID=2/libEntryID=68/listID=75
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    So you have a link to a UK broadcaster that's announced they will be making or buying, and broadcasting 8K programmes then? And when?

I've never heard it's 'coming' - but Sky announced long ago that they were developing a 4K Sky box, ready 'just in case' they choose to launch a 4K service.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't be silly.....
    I said 8K was coming. Whether it's next week or in 2020 (the estimated possible year of introduction) it still falls into the word coming.
    But, just to put an answer to your question, the Olympics were filmed and broadcast (limited) in 8K back in 2012.
    The BBC and NHK who trialled the 8K Olympics broadcasts have already indicated that they could miss out 4K and wait and go straight to 8K.
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/forget-ultra-hd-8k-is-closer-than-you-think/14385/
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/bbc-not-interested-in-4k-tv-broadcasts-says-panasonic.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,866
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty happy with the HD TV I have just bought. No need for this contstant changing all the time in TV's. Why was it that colour TV aside, there wasn't hardly any changes to TV's from the 70's to the early noughties?
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with the HD TV I have just bought. No need for this contstant changing all the time in TV's. Why was it that colour TV aside, there wasn't hardly any changes to TV's from the 70's to the early noughties?

There was a big change to TV's in 1990 when widescreen TV's were introduced, plasma and HDTV's were not far behind.

B&W to colour was a big change and not a lot seemed to happen for two decades, probably because CRT was pretty limited and technology was concentrating on games consoles and recorders not TV's, but since the introduction of widescreen TV in 1990 technology seems to go through changes every 10yrs.

I've had a HDTV and have been watching HD for nearly 10yrs, I'm ready for a change, do you think it's fair to hold back on change just because there are those who have just adopted technology that's nearly a decade old?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    There was a big change to TV's in 1990 when widescreen TV's were introduced, plasma and HDTV's were not far behind.

B&W to colour was a big change and not a lot seemed to happen for two decades, probably because CRT was pretty limited and technology was concentrating on games consoles and recorders not TV's, but since the introduction of widescreen TV in 1990 technology seems to go through changes every 10yrs.

I've had a HDTV and have been watching HD for nearly 10yrs, I'm ready for a change, do you think it's fair to hold back on change just because there are those who have just adopted technology that's nearly a decade old?

Good point..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member

So you're sooner pay a LOT of money, have a great many fewer channels, and all for very little improvement?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you're sooner pay a LOT of money, have a great many fewer channels, and all for very little improvement?.

if you don't have the change the prices won't fall. So many people are just about the now.
    If you don't believe there is more than a little improvement, there is no compulsion for you to buy or participate.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I said "I'm ready for change".

I'm more interested in 4k projection, once they start coming through fully spec'd I'll be looking at my options. Unlike 4k TV's where you can get them for equivalent 2k prices, projectors tend to be more expensive, I see cost as the major factor, I appreciate there is little 4k out there at the moment, but I'll still have the same amount of channels and I'll still be able to watch Bluray's as I do now, from the demos I've seen they look no different to what they do on 2k, certainly no worse - the advantage I will have is being able to view Netflix 4k and any other content or channel added in the future.

My plasma has a faulty ysus board, it's nine years old and not worth fixing, even though it's not used for main viewing I'll be looking at 4k upgrade when they also start coming through fully spec'd (phase 1).

I want the choice to invest in new technology when it becomes available, not to be dictated by late adopters who have just invested in a decade old technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    if you don't have the change the prices won't fall. So many people are just about the now.
    If you don't believe there is more than a little improvement, there is no compulsion for you to buy or participate.;-)

It's not going to be an option (which is why this thread has a totally pointless title :D), all sets will become 4K, and potentially 8K once the technology reaches that point.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... all sets will become 4K...

Likely so. That early Seiki 4K 39" thing/one is now down to £200($339) on Amazon US.
    And apparently it was as low as $299 !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not going to be an option (which is why this thread has a totally pointless title :D), all sets will become 4K, and potentially 8K once the technology reaches that point.

It's probably not going to be an option in the future, but why should that stop anyone buying into 4k now, obviously knowing it's constraints.

I'm hoping my plasma holds out until the new spec'd TV's come out, but if it were to pack up tomorrow I'd certainly think about replacing it with something that's available now, it will mean adding a stb later, but I can't see 4k TV broadcasts for a few years yet, besides, you are going to have to add other boxes if you want 4k Sky and 4k Bluray, if/when they arrive.

8k doesn't render itself to well for anything under 84", to big for the average home, but I doubt that will stop them making 19" 8k TV's, as it doesn't stop them making 4" displays full HD.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably not going to be an option in the future, but why should that stop anyone buying into 4k now, obviously knowing it's constraints.

I'm hoping my plasma holds out until the new spec'd TV's come out, but if it were to pack up tomorrow I'd certainly think about replacing it with something that's available now, it will mean adding a stb later, but I can't see 4k TV broadcasts for a few years yet, besides, you are going to have to add other boxes if you want 4k Sky and 4k Bluray, if/when they arrive.

8k doesn't render itself to well for anything under 84", to big for the average home, but I doubt that will stop them making 19" 8k TV's, as it doesn't stop them making 4" displays full HD.

Tata Sky in India says it will launch 4k next year and Direct TV has stated that it will have VOD 4k late next year with live 4k to follow shortly thereafter...so I would expect such in the UK by 2016. By then most tvs being sold will be 4k compatible..IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member

Because most people don't know its constraints and wouldn't understand them if they were told. Poor sods will buy 4K sets and believe they are watching something better than HD. Except they won't be.

Only to discover a few years later that they are missing half of the UHD improvements over HD, by which time the industry will be trying to sell them UHD-1 Phase 2 sets to get "full colour and stunning fast frame rates" and we might have some actual genuine UHD-1 phase 2 content being broadcast mainstream.

But wait! UHD-2 sets will be out by then, no doubt missing half of the improvements over UHD-1 phase 2 and off we will go again. I'd slap a huge great black Health Warning on all current 4K/UHD-1 phase 1 sets:

"This set is less than half as good as you probably think it is and it can damage your wealth"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because most people don't know its constraints and wouldn't understand them if they were told. Poor sods will buy 4K sets and believe they are watching something better than HD. Except they won't be.

Only to discover a few years later that they are missing half of the UHD improvements over HD, by which time the industry will be trying to sell them UHD-1 Phase 2 sets to get "full colour and stunning fast frame rates" and we might have some actual genuine UHD-1 phase 2 content being broadcast mainstream.

But wait! UHD-2 sets will be out by then, no doubt missing half of the improvements over UHD-1 phase 2 and off we will go again. I'd slap a huge great black Health Warning on all current 4K/UHD-1 phase 1 sets:

"This set is less than half as good as you probably think it is and it can damage your wealth"
    In the same respect folk buy HD TV's and believe everything they watch is HD - You can't blame the manufacturers for consumer ignorance.

The info is readily available, if someone goes out and blindly spends £1k + without doing any research they only have themselves to blame for incompatibility issues later on - Misinformation from shop staff is a different matter.

I'd have no issue buying into 4k tomorrow, I don't think phase 2 will be agreed and the TV's on sale before 2019/2020, buy that time I'd be due an upgrade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd have no issue buying into 4k tomorrow, I don't think phase 2 will be agreed and the TV's on sale before 2019/2020, buy that time I'd be due an upgrade.

What's the point in that though, for the vast majority of the population? All they'll get tomorrow are more pixels, not a significantly better picture and at any given price level, quite possibly worse than an equivalent HD set. Trouble is, they'll be led to believe it's a better picture (the usual pixel-counting nonsense from advertising).
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest the best use for 4K is multi screen.

It is exactly 4 lots of 1080p. Incidentally those 2,6K tablet/smartphone screens are essentially 4 lots of 720p, again useful for multi display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's the point in that though, for the vast majority of the population? All they'll get tomorrow are more pixels, not a significantly better picture and at any given price level, quite possibly worse than an equivalent HD set. Trouble is, they'll be led to believe it's a better picture (the usual pixel-counting nonsense from advertising).
    As with any new technology it rarely appeals to the masses when it's released, it's the early adopters that get attracted first.

From your remarks I can only assume you've never seen any native 4k demos - I have seen plenty, even in it's current state the picture quality exceeds that of HD.

My slight concern, is how will 4k look on over the air broadcasts, I believe the demos I've seen have been uncompressed, OK for disc but I have a feeling it will be heavily compressed for broadcasting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As with any new technology it rarely appeals to the masses when it's released, it's the early adopters that get attracted first.

From your remarks I can only assume you've never seen any native 4k demos - I have seen plenty, even in it's current state the picture quality exceeds that of HD.

My slight concern, is how will 4k look on over the air broadcasts, I believe the demos I've seen have been uncompressed, OK for disc but I have a feeling it will be heavily compressed for broadcasting.

I haven't seen any 4K demos because there's no point, because that's not what broadcast UHD-1 phase 1 broadcasts will look like. If we ever get any phase 1 broadcasts, that is (nobody's yet said they'll do any, have they?).

4K sets based on UHD-1 phase 1 specs (or less!) really are a pointless exercise and pointless purchase for nearly everyone and I wish they'd just pull them - until the phase 2 specs are agreed, they can build that into the sets, and broadcasters have said they'll actually do it (and when).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Other countries are not hanging around for OTA broadcasting. The cable companies are leading the charge in Korea and Japan.
    I would think that streamed and cable content will be well under way before OTA gets off the ground. Makes more sense for early adopters to look to those sources first.