US: Taylor Swift's album sold 600K in 1 day

Comments

• Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    lol. Having Gold doesn't really mean much nowadays.

We are talking about one day of sales, plus actually most albums rarely go Gold in their first week because the album climate is so poor.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    She's a great little pop star, and sometimes that's all you need to be.

This.

I always feel like people just go to extremes with her, either they're over-inflating her prowess as a songwriter or completely underplaying just how hard she works at what she does and her ear for a solid tune. Her lyrics are neither exceptionally profound nor as rubbish as people would like them to be. I've found her diary-like lyrics to be quite cloying in the past, and apart from some really exceptional songs e.g. All Too Well, it's just been really detailed metaphor that does nothing for me. I think on 1989 she's finding a really good balance with using metaphors that are simple and relatable (Blank Space, Clean, New Romantics - come to mind as really strong examples of this) and honing in on catchy hooks and a sound that fits right into current trends (as many critics have noted that she borrows quite liberally from her peers, Lorde, Lana etc.).

This is a good pop album, that's all. It's not trying to be anything more or less than that.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This.

I always feel like people just go to extremes with her, either they're over-inflating her prowess as a songwriter or completely underplaying just how hard she works at what she does and her ear for a solid tune. Her lyrics are neither exceptionally profound nor as rubbish as people would like them to be. I've found her diary-like lyrics to be quite cloying in the past, and apart from some really exceptional songs e.g. All Too Well, it's just been really detailed metaphor that does nothing for me. I think on 1989 she's finding a really good balance with using metaphors that are simple and relatable (Blank Space, Clean, New Romantics - come to mind as really strong examples of this) and honing in on catchy hooks and a sound that fits right into current trends (as many critics have noted that she borrows quite liberally from her peers, Lorde, Lana etc.).

This is a good pop album, that's all. It's not trying to be anything more or less than that.

I am not a huge fan of taylor, but her new album is great! It deserves the success its getting. Plus, she seems like a nice girl.

Well done taylor
  • josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got a bit big for her boots. Apparently, she thinks she's too good to upload her album on Spotify
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people surprised she's the biggest album seller in the us, and she may beat Britneys 14 year record. But does that mean she's as talented as people make out it she deserves the praise she gets no. She writes average songs songs with San average voice and had a personality akin to watching paint dry.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Why are people surprised she's the biggest album seller in the us, and she may beat Britneys 14 year record. But does that mean she's as talented as people make out it she deserves the praise she gets no. She writes average songs songs with San average voice and had a personality akin to watching paint dry.

Exactly. She's in her 20s and yet all her songs sound like a 12 year old girl's diary? :confused: They're dreadful. The only song of hers I found remotely worth listening to is I Knew You Were Trouble. I do wonder who she appeals to. Does she appeal to the teen market?
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    josh2721 wrote: »
    She's got a bit big for her boots. Apparently, she thinks she's too good to upload her album on Spotify

Its her album, she can upload it wherever she likes.

I never thought I'd ever find myself listening to a Taylor Swift album but I was listening to 1989 in the car on Monday and found myself actually enjoying it. This is on ration at the moment with the Run The Jewels, Objekt, Grouper and Ex Hex albums.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her songwriting isn't incredible at all. Not anymore

Uh oh!
    I don't know about you
    But I'm feeling 22
    Everything will be alright
    If you keep me next to you
    You don't know about me
    But I'll bet you want to
    Everything will be alright
    If we just keep dancing like we're
    22, ooh-ooh
    22, ooh-ooh

Or

We are never ever ever getting back together,
    We are never ever ever getting back together,
    You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
    But we are never ever ever ever getting back together

Or

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off
    Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
    And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

and many more.

That's is not incredible songwriting at all. Hardly a lyrical genius.

Carole King (one of the greatest female songwriters of all time) is what you call an incredible songwriter. Not taylor swift. She can sing though, that's all i will praise her for.

To be fair most lyrics looks rubbish if you just read them with no music. You see lyrics are written to fit in with the music. So actually she is a good songwriter because her songs are catchy and she writes them herself.

"Stand up beside the fireplace, take that look from off your face".

I take it Noel Gallagher is a crap songwriter because this doesn't sound profound.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    josh2721 wrote: »

I think it's good she's done that as it gives the people who see value in her music enough to pay for it aka the fans first chance to listen to it. Any move that preserves the value of music and puts fans first is good by me.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no mean feat to sell as much as she does, so good for her.
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    I do disagree with Little-Monster though. The songs highlighted weren't meant to be lyrical masterpieces, they were meant to be hit singles. A lot of her album tracks are better examples of her knack for lyricism.

Agreed.
    Oh come on, I realise it's just out but how many times have you seen albums go for 99p? It's hardly buying an album is it. An invisible music collection but I have to give people that buy invisible digital music come credit. They are willing to money for what most get free on a Google search. It's not buying an album though.

Albums are physical. And 1989 will be released on LP in December.

Unless I'm missing something, when was her album available for 99p? And it's already on sale in physical form?
    Not all of her songs have to be lyrical masterpieces. On the same album you took two of those songs from she also wrote lyrics like

"And you call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest"

"So you were never a saint and I loved in shades of wrong, we learn to live with the pain, mosaic broken hearts"

"You and I walk a fragile line, I have known it all this time but I never thought I'd live to see it break"

On the new album:

"Cause they got the cages they got the boxes. And guns, they are the hunters we are the foxes, and we run"

"Band-aids don't fix bullet holes, you say sorry just for show, if you live like that you live with ghosts"

"When I was drowning that's when I could finally breath"

And they are just some small examples! She is an incredible writer. But not every song has to be like that.

This.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will repeat something I wrote to my friend who is a huge Taylor fan but is hugely disappointed about the pop route:

Her new album is great, even if it is pop. This isn't drastically different than Red, that album was more pop than country so I don't know why so many are shocked by her decision. There are songs like Wildest Dreams, This Love, Clean, How You Get The Girl and You Are In Love which could have easily been on Red, those songs aren't so different. However, even if the songs like Blank Space and I Know Places which are melodically very different, they are lyrically still very interesting and strong, especially Blank Spaces because she basically makes fun of the media and the image she has (writing about ex-boyfriends).

My point is, this is still Taylor, even if she changed her style because most of her songs are still lyrically interesting and strong - I mean, You Are In Love is a beautiful love song. In fact, ONLY Shake It Off is catchy fun pop song, the rest is more deeper than that.

Also, who cares if the songs are about Harry Styles? Some people are really too worked up about it. She always wrote songs about her ex-boyfriends, nothing new about that. I actually think only Out Of The Woods and Style are directly about him. However, I always hated that people analyzed her songs just so they could figure about who is the song about - it doesn't matter whom the song is about, not really.

Honestly, if people could just ignore the fact that she went from country to pop, they would see it is a very good album. It actually annoys me that many are acting like she did some crime just because she went pop. So what? She has the right to do so, its obviously something she wanted to do for a while since Red was more pop and country anyway. Artist has the right to do what he/she wants, who says she will never do country again? People are just exaggerating, she still is making good music even if it isn't country.

I also commend her for truly embracing the 80s sound. Because when I heard Shake It Off, I was thinking she doesn't know what she is talking about if she thinks this represents 80s music. But truly, every other song in its melody is heavily influenced by 80s music. In fact, this album is more cohesive and consistent than Red, everything is put together nicely.

This is not country, BUT I will defend Taylor on her decision because she still made good music. At least this time she said she is going pop, unlike Red which was a mixture, but it was mostly pop.

If people would just ignore for a second she changed her musical style - its hard to deny this is actually a great pop album, even the critics are loving it. She obviously wanted to do this for a while, so fair play to her.

The same thing happened to Pink, she has done a different kind of album with a very good friend and yet there are many comments where people are moaning that this isn't her or that Dallas Green doesn't need Pink. Give me a break, they wanted to do this, so why not? Every artist should do what he/she feels its right at the time. I'd rather respect an artist who does something with energy and passion than an artist who is not enjoying what he/she does because it is expected of that artist. Some act like its blasphemy Taylor decided to go pop. Big deal, if the music is still good, it shouldn't matter.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I will repeat something I wrote to my friend who is a huge Taylor fan but is hugely disappointed about the pop route:

Her new album is great, even if it is pop. This isn't drastically different than Red, that album was more pop than country so I don't know why so many are shocked by her decision. There are songs like Wildest Dreams, This Love, Clean, How You Get The Girl and You Are In Love which could have easily been on Red, those songs aren't so different. However, even if the songs like Blank Space and I Know Places which are melodically very different, they are lyrically still very interesting and strong, especially Blank Spaces because she basically makes fun of the media and the image she has (writing about ex-boyfriends).

My point is, this is still Taylor, even if she changed her style because most of her songs are still lyrically interesting and strong - I mean, You Are In Love is a beautiful love song. In fact, ONLY Shake It Off is catchy fun pop song, the rest is more deeper than that.

Also, who cares if the songs are about Harry Styles? Some people are really too worked up about it. She always wrote songs about her ex-boyfriends, nothing new about that. I actually think only Out Of The Woods and Style are directly about him. However, I always hated that people analyzed her songs just so they could figure about who is the song about - it doesn't matter whom the song is about, not really.

Honestly, if people could just ignore the fact that she went from country to pop, they would see it is a very good album. It actually annoys me that many are acting like she did some crime just because she went pop. So what? She has the right to do so, its obviously something she wanted to do for a while since Red was more pop and country anyway. Artist has the right to do what he/she wants, who says she will never do country again? People are just exaggerating, she still is making good music even if it isn't country.

I also commend her for truly embracing the 80s sound. Because when I heard Shake It Off, I was thinking she doesn't know what she is talking about if she thinks this represents 80s music. But truly, every other song in its melody is heavily influenced by 80s music. In fact, this album is more cohesive and consistent than Red, everything is put together nicely.

This is not country, BUT I will defend Taylor on her decision because she still made good music. At least this time she said she is going pop, unlike Red which was a mixture, but it was mostly pop.

If people would just ignore for a second she changed her musical style - its hard to deny this is actually a great pop album, even the critics are loving it. She obviously wanted to do this for a while, so fair play to her.

The same thing happened to Pink, she has done a different kind of album with a very good friend and yet there are many comments where people are moaning that this isn't her or that Dallas Green doesn't need Pink. Give me a break, they wanted to do this, so why not? Every artist should do what he/she feels its right at the time. I'd rather respect an artist who does something with energy and passion than an artist who is not enjoying what he/she does because it is expected of that artist. Some act like its blasphemy Taylor decided to go pop. Big deal, if the music is still good, it shouldn't matter.

So what you are effectively saying is that, even though she has changed the style of music she plays, people who like country should still like the pop stuff, even though it is a completely different genre, which country fans may not like?

Basically you are saying it has nothing to do with the music but about the singer?????
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    It absolutely, if you are a fan of someone's work you should at least try and sample everything they do. If they just stick to the same thing that made them famous then they can't grow as artists, if you value country music over the lyrics and the person singing them then there is plenty of other country music out there for those people. No need for them to moan.
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw TS for the third time live, mostly as a cruel twist of fate.
    She's very, very middle of the road at best, in terms or talent and material. But the thing is, it's good enough for her fans. Clearly they don't demand much. So let her make her way and make her fortune. It's all good.
    As far as the new album, I actually like Out of The Woods, mainly cos she isn't singing like a 12 year old, especially when she acts like a 12 year old underdog, being bullied in a world thats out to get her. It's so f*ing old. Haters gonna hate, hate... yeah we f*ing know already. Go buy another penthouse.
    But really, she is impressive. She is an awesome business woman and probably a good role model for kids. That's all I've got here. Lol.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It absolutely, if you are a fan of someone's work you should at least try and sample everything they do. If they just stick to the same thing that made them famous then they can't grow as artists, if you value country music over the lyrics and the person singing them then there is plenty of other country music out there for those people. No need for them to moan.

I have absolutley nothing against any artist trying different styles or different genres of music, however saying that you should like everything an artist does just because you are a fan of one type of music they make is wrong and a little obsessive!
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really buying an album is it. Just invisible computer files. Not like going to the shops and buying a CD or LP.

Most of this figure is from WALMART and Target.

I hope she breaks Britney's record. :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently she kept the music stored on her phone and only her phone for a long time and would only let certain people listen to it to prevent leaks and it's clearly worked if those sales figures are anything to go by.

obviously now it's out it's leaked, but it's certainly proof that it can be done i suppose.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think leaks harm sales that bad. I heard Adele's 21 album a fortnight before release and we all know how well that sold.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what you are effectively saying is that, even though she has changed the style of music she plays, people who like country should still like the pop stuff, even though it is a completely different genre, which country fans may not like?

Basically you are saying it has nothing to do with the music but about the singer?????

No thats not what I'm saying. All I am saying is that I find ridiculous that some country fans are acting like it is a horrible crime she decided to go pop. You DON'T have to like her music, but don't make such a big deal out of it - it is clear she wanted to go pop for a while now. Like I said, this album is not so drastically different than Red, no one can say I Knew You Were Trouble, 22 or This Is The Last Time are exactly true country, she was playing with a LOT of pop elements on Red album - that is why I claim that Wildest Dreams, This Love, Clean, How You Get The Girl and You Are In Love could have easily been on Red - I don't think there is a reason why her country fans shouldn't at least enjoy those songs. The ONLY difference is that 1989 doesn't have any country songs - if she put a few on there, no one would make a fuss. But since it is a full pop, then it is blasphemy.

And of course I am NOT saying it is all about the singer, where did you even pick that out from my words? It is all about the music - I clearly stated if the songs are still strong lyrically and musically strong, it shouldn't matter whether it is country OR pop.

And no, no one is saying you should like everything the artist does, but you can at least respect the decision he/she makes and hope the next album will be something you will enjoy more. She is clearly enjoying what she does, it is her choice - its not written in stone she should do country for the rest of her life.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think leaks harm sales that bad. I heard Adele's 21 album a fortnight before release and we all know how well that sold.

oh i do agree, and I think that's why a lot of labels "leak" albums early themselves as a means of boosting sales, but i do also think it can affect sales for certain artists as well.

But then I guess you could argue that that in itself could be more down to it being a crappy album :)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For god sake, can't believe the praise being heaped on this album. I've listened to it and all it is is bubblegum pop. I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga, but her first album is an example of a really good pop album. Taylor's new album is just cheesey, bubblegum pop. I used to like her when she was country...she was interesting as an artist and the music was decent. Not been a fan since her Red album though...in my opinion she's sold herself short by changing her direction in order to become even more commercial. There's nothing wrong with changing direction...so many artists change things up with each album (Beyonce as a good example), but come on, if you're going to do it at least make it good. For her last couple of albums Taylor has come across as someone who is so desperate to appeal to the masses and become hugely commercial that she's gradually filtering out anything country. In the process of doing this though, she's got rif of anything interesting about her as an artist. In my opinion she's no longer interesting and she doesn't do pop very well...she just coems off as cheesey and very bubblegum pop. Country was what made her interesting for me and I liked her music.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For god sake, can't believe the praise being heaped on this album. I've listened to it and all it is is bubblegum pop. I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga, but her first album is an example of a really good pop album. Taylor's new album is just cheesey, bubblegum pop. I used to like her when she was country...she was interesting as an artist and the music was decent. Not been a fan since her Red album though...in my opinion she's sold herself short by changing her direction in order to become even more commercial. There's nothing wrong with changing direction...so many artists change things up with each album (Beyonce as a good example), but come on, if you're going to do it at least make it good. For her last couple of albums Taylor has come across as someone who is so desperate to appeal to the masses and become hugely commercial that she's gradually filtering out anything country. In the process of doing this though, she's got rif of anything interesting about her as an artist. In my opinion she's no longer interesting and she doesn't do pop very well...she just coems off as cheesey and very bubblegum pop. Country was what made her interesting for me and I liked her music.

Bubblegum pop? I wouldn't say that at all. Bar a few songs most of the album is nothing like bubblegum pop. I wouldn't describe songs like "out of the woods", "I Know Places", "Wildest Dreams", "This Love", "Clean" or "blank Space" as bubblegum pop. I suggest a second listen.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bubblegum pop? I wouldn't say that at all. Bar a few songs most of the album is nothing like bubblegum pop. I wouldn't describe songs like "out of the woods", "I Know Places", "Wildest Dreams", "This Love", "Clean" or "blank Space" as bubblegum pop. I suggest a second listen.

I agree. Add "Your Are In Love" to the list too, amongst others.

I also don't think she has any desire to "appeal to the masses." No matter what music she makes, it well sell by the bucket load. She has wanted to make a "pop" album for ages now. And as many say, she's never been out-and-out country anyway. I just don't get why some have such an issue with her doing well, or with her albums getting praise? It's all opinion at the end of the day. Different people like different things. If a shed load of people like Taylor Swift and you don't, so be it. Let them listen to her music, you don't have to.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    600,000 in one day! :o

Some artists would struggle to get that sort of sales in one year! :D

Then again, it is the US were talking about and they have a population of over 250 million.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently she kept the music stored on her phone and only her phone for a long time and would only let certain people listen to it to prevent leaks and it's clearly worked if those sales figures are anything to go by.

obviously now it's out it's leaked, but it's certainly proof that it can be done i suppose.

I assume she's not connected to iCloud then!