1. Deathly Hallows (Part Two)
    2. Order of the Phoenix
    3. Deathly Hallows (Part One)
    4. Goblet of Fire
    5. Half-Blood Prince
    6. Prisoner of Azkaban
    7. Philosopher's Stone
    8. Chamber of Secrets

Goblet of Fire would probably be a little bit higher, but there was a time where it was on television every other week to the stage where I really started to hate it, and haven't recovered from that still.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From fave to least fave

1. Philosopher's Stone
    2. Deathly Hallows Part One
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban
    4. Order of the Phoenix
    5. Goblet of Fire
    6. Deathly Hallows Part Two
    7. Chamber of Secrets
    8. Half Blood Prince

Half Blood Prince was my favourite of the books but the movie was an absolutely appalling adaption, missing out HUGE important parts of the story in favour of teen romance crap.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) DHP1
    2) DHP2
    3) Chamber of Secrets
    4) Philosopher's Stone
    5) Goblet of Fire
    6) Prisoner of Azkaban
    7) Half-Blood Prince
    8) Order of the Phoenix
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Mines the same as this
    Chamber of Secrets
    Philosophers Stone
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Deathly Hallows 1
    Deathly Hallows 2
    Order of the Pheonix
    Half Blood Prince
    Goblet of Fire

Like the TC said Chamber of Secrets had it all. I also enjoyed the overall mystery element of it. Goblet of Fire is where it all starts to go horribly wrong imo, with everything feeling disjointed and too much being left out. It didn't start to improve until Deathly Hallows part 1.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1 & 2) Basically word for word translation of the book - loved it.

2. Half Blood Prince - Probably helped by the fact it's my favourite book, not ruined by all the romance because that happens in the book. The Ginnie and Harry romance needed to be removed and so did the whole burning of the burrow scene (which could have easily made way for some more memory scenes.)

3. Order of the Phoenix - Should probably have been in 2 parts as there was so much left out, but it's still an enjoyable film which has most of the important parts. I would have preferred more of the Ministry of Magic from the book and I don't like the black/green bricks design that they had for the Ministry either.

4. Prisoner of Azkaban - Was never a favourite book, but the film was a very faithful adaptation Firebolt aside.

5. Chamber of Secrets - Almost perfect.

6. Philsopher's Stone - Almost perfect.

7. Goblet of Fire - The worst movie if you have read the book. Such a disappointment, Fleur is turned into a weak little girl, the house elves are missing, Rita Skeeter and Hermione's feud is missing. I think it's a better movie if you don't follow the books. It's only saved by the Voldemort scenes at the beginning and end.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Gambon not being right for the part of Dumbledore. If you look at Harris's portrayal in the first two films, Dumbledore was a lovely gentle and sweet natured man. When Gambon took over, he always had a stern intimidating voice who was a bit arrogant and not pleasant.

It's always going to be jarring going from one interpretation to the other. But I thought in the last few movies Gambon nailed the part. Particularly the final scene at Kings Cross.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    It's always going to be jarring going from one interpretation to the other. But I thought in the last few movies Gambon nailed the part. Particularly the final scene at Kings Cross.

Even though Michael Gambon has denied changing his approach to the character, I think he did exactly that when in 2007 JK Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay. Certainly in Half-Blood Prince, Gambon's Dumbledore was far more approachable than he had been in the past (aka 'Angry Dumbledore').
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Half Blood Prince was my favourite of the books but the movie was an absolutely appalling adaption, missing out HUGE important parts of the story in favour of teen romance crap.

Yes I agree with that. Without the missing stuff I don't see how anyone could understand the Deathly Hallows films (or even much of HBP) whereas the teen romance stuff was just embarrassing and unnecessary.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    1) Prisoner of Azkaban - easily the best directed, possibly the only one with any directorial style at all. Columbus was adequate, Newell was pure flashiness and Yates was utter tedium but Cuaron brought a lot of character. David Thewlis and Gary Oldman are brilliant as well and it has one of John Williams' finest scores of the last 20 years. A wonderful film.

2) Deathly Hallows Part 2 - a really satisfying conclusion full of excellent set pieces and pay-offs with an extremely high standard of acting throughout. Yates cocks up a few vital things needlessly (why do Voldemort, Nagini and Bellatrix all disintegrate? Why does no one see the final battle? Why don't we see any good guys but Snape get killed?) but it's still a great finish.

3) Goblet of Fire - this has the advantage of being one of my favourite of the books. The thing about this is that it's the one HP film Mike Newell was suitable for. His one entry was the right one, as the loud, flashy, over the top production suits the chaos and drama of this story. The last half hour is excellent. However, it does seem rather out of place with the other films and it's a dreadfully ruthless adaptation with far too much cut.

4) Philosopher's Stone - I don't return to it very often because it's the one HP film that's explicitly for kids. The main trio are visibly finding their feet (check out Emma Watson mouthing Daniel Radcliffe's lines in the background as he speaks them) and it's all a bit light and breezy, but the adult cast are fantastic and credit has to be given for making such a strong start and in particular with such perfect casting and production design.

5) Deathly Hallows Part 1 - I actually think there is enough material here to justify a full length film but it's undeniably thinner on the ground in terms of memorable moments and set pieces than almost every other chapter. The good moments are really good - Dobby's death is excellent, the famous dance scene is lovely and the Seven Potters is executed perfectly - and the main trio are at their best, but there's just enough going on. Also, some of the worst cinematography and colouring I've ever scene for cinema. The silver doe scene is barely watchable, just utter blackness.

6) Chamber of Secrets - probably my least favourite of the books which doesn't help. I think the problem with this one is that it's just more of the same. It feels like a rehash. Everything is carried over from the first film and done again. It's also insanely long making the whole thing feel like a straight up adaptation done to the exact formula of Philosophers Stone, and therefore a bit boring. Still, it has plenty of good points, especially the basilisk and Dobby.

7) Order of the Phoenix - the longest book obviously poses great challenges in terms of adaptation, but it's handled badly and the wrong things are cut. Tonks is reduced to a cameo and lots of ideas are gone completely. Umbridge and Luna are great, Grawp is decidedly not. It's far too short, the direction is lacklustre, typically of David Yates, and it's all too light and doesn't suit the tone of the book. Not impressive really.

8) Half-Blood Prince - the only outright failure of the series IMO. There are good points - Tom Felton is fantastic and Jim Broadbent is just joyous. Michael Gambon also does a very decent job with heavier material. Other than that, not much to enjoy. The direction is appalling, the score is lazy and lifeless, the script focuses on all the wrong things and deletes great swathes of backstory. The ending is a complete mess and I came away thoroughly frustrated with how badly they'd messed this one up. Bleak and lifeless again. A shame.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Philosopher Stone
    2. Goblet of Fire
    3. Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    4. Prisoner of Azkaban
    5. Chamber of Secrets
    6. Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    7. Order of the Phoenix
    8. Half Blood Prince
  • Options
    burnoutbabeburnoutbabe Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Any know why ITV are showing all the Harry potters over these weeks up to xmas but missing out Goblet of Fire? Goes straight from Prisoner today to Order of Pheonix on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any know why ITV are showing all the Harry potters over these weeks up to xmas but missing out Goblet of Fire? Goes straight from Prisoner today to Order of Pheonix on Tuesday.

I was wondering the same thing!
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Strange, and I was hoping to watch them all again too.

This is going by memory of how I felt (I've seen the later films just once) want to watch them again to get a full view. Like others I was really disappointed with the HBP. I think POA is easily the best film while others are very close to each other that a re-watch or mood can switch them around, such as COS which I think is fun in a fluffy way and right now I'm enjoying more stuff like that and having watched it last week its moved up.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
    2. Goblet of Fire
    3. Chamber of Secrets
    4. Order of Phoenix
    5. Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    6. Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    7. Half Blood Prince
    8. Philosopher Stone
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philosphers stone was quite ingenious, and introduced a lot of interesting effects. They are just kids stories, though.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    1) Prisoner of Azkaban
    2) Order of the Phoenix
    3) Deathly Hallows (view them as one film, but 2 then 1 if you want an order)
    4) Goblet of Fire
    5) Half Blood Prince
    6) Chamber of Secrets & Philosophers Stone

Totally the opposite for me, I can take or leave the first two movies, the series really comes alive from Azkaban in my eyes.

thats exactly my choice I loved Azkaban because its not really about Voldemort
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did the same thing last time they showed the films except they missed out Half Blood last time. It makes no sense to me.:confused:
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did the same thing last time they showed the films except they missed out Half Blood last time. It makes no sense to me.:confused:

It is very odd. Surely the ITV schedule cannot be so tight that they cannot show them all.

Saying that, if they have to miss one out then personally I'm glad it was GOF as THBP is one of my favourites.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Prisoner of Azkaban - There's something just utterly charming about this film. It amazes me how they turned one of my least favourite of the books into such an amazing film adaptation. I love how the darkness moves in gradually over the course of the film and it is brilliantly directed as mentioned. Plenty of lighter moments too and the story is not Voldemort focused which makes it stand out against the others

2) Deathly Hallows (1&2) - A great conclusion to an amazing story. The final battle was amazingly executed and by that point I'd got to terms with parts of the story being left out.

3) Goblet of Fire - This film stands alone for me in the series and doesn't fit the tone of the other films in the sense that it is such an explosive book that many parts had to be cut in order to allow the main plot to be told in a complete manner. It doesn't build in the same way as the others and is just drama from start to finish. It's a great film with amazing visuals and it's the first time that it really feels grown up and truly dark. This is one that I sort of wish had been split into 2 parts but I can understand why it wasn't.

4) Half Blood Prince - The film only really comes to life towards the end and I feel that it isn't a particularly good adaptation of my favourite book in the series. I enjoyed it nevertheless though.

5) Order of the Phoenix - Not one of my favourite books but I think it was adapted pretty well on screen. Not the film I'd choose to watch over and over again.

6) Philosopher's Stone - I've watched this one the least times out of all of the films as it is very "kiddy." But I must have enjoyed it at the time as I watched the rest of the HP series :D.

7) Chamber of Secrets - There's something incredibly irritating about this film. The darkness doesn't really come across in the way it should and that in part is due to some pretty weak acting from some of the main characters. The story is quite dull imo, but I still wince when I watch Harry stab the basilisk with the sword. The first proper scary moment for me as a kid.