Options

Were The USA right to kill Osama Bin Laden?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to kill him during the mission when you have an excuse as Bin Laden and other's in his household could've been in possession of guns and explosives risking the lives of US soldiers rather than a cold blooded execution later on.

Little point in putting him on trial and then an execution, any publicity or rumours of torture wouldn't help the Americans.

Obviously the US did want revenge but they also had to hunt him down to prevent any potential involvement of his in further terrorist activities.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course many of the seals were killed in helicopter crash soon after. Was that a crash or was it revenge?
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    .......he was apparently dumped in to the ocean once the u.s government had killed him.

He may have been dead for years in truth.

They had to justify the 'war on terror' and the hideous invasions of iraq and all the innocent loss of life that ensued in that invasion by saying they'd got him

Would the u.s government lie ? Of course not !!!!!

So im open minded to whether they 'got him' or not. He should have stood on trial at the very least if they did indeed get him
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    State sanctioned assignation can be counter productive, but given that he gave the orders for the death of over 3000 people on 11th Sep, I don't really have an issue with his death or subsequent burial at sea.

Under the circumstances, it was probably the lesser evil than going through the dangerous process of finding a court safe enough for a no doubt lengthy trial to take place.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. You kill him, you make him a martyr. Better to capture him, prosecute him and lock him away for the rest of his life.

I see you prefer the expensive option.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. You kill him, you make him a martyr. Better to capture him, prosecute him and lock him away for the rest of his life.

KILL HIM!

I would rather have a dead martyr any day than a live, cowardly terrorist being locked up.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeeeeeppp!
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Eh, a quiet life? He was actively directing terrorist operations & making propaganda videos.

Was he? I thought part of the reason for doubting they even killed him when they said they did and not years before was the fact he had not appeared in videos for years. I thought he had only made audio tapes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Justmadeit wrote: »

They had to justify the 'war on terror' and the hideous invasions of iraq and all the innocent loss of life that ensued in that invasion by saying they'd got him

Well, they had to draw a line under it, marked the end of al queda being the bogeyman they didnt really pack the same punch. Luckily for the military industrial complex ISIS were ready to step up to the plate to justify spending more money on bombs apparently for many years to come
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So im open minded to whether they 'got him' or not. He should have stood on trial at the very least if they did indeed get him

One of the more plausible theories I've read about why they didn't show photographic evidence is because the Seals went all oorah 'Murica! on his corpse and riddled it with over 100 bullets, showing either excessive force or mistreatment of a dead body, neither of which they would have wanted to reveal to the international community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steviex wrote: »
    KILL HIM!

I would rather have a dead martyr any day than a live, cowardly terrorist being locked up.

Listen, if america really had found bin laden alive they would have paraded him round the streets before giving him a trial. Imagine the PR success they would have had with that, who wants to watch a royal wedding when you could watch bin ladens trial. That really would have put obama in the history books. Of course they dumped the body in the sea without even taking a picture i think and then swore everyone to secrecy tbh im not convinced because they really threw away the catch of the century
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed feelings. Don't get me wrong- he was a nasty piece of work. Like a lot of people in power (of different global sorts), he was quite happy to goad others into sacrificing their lives while he, himself, did everything possible to preserve his own sorry ass and those of his kin. All the same, the pursuit of 'justice' against him and his cronies led to countless innocent deaths on the other side of the USA that we will never get to fully comprehend. Can't be doing with conspiracy theories for the most part but this just makes me sad. Not undermining the horror of 9/11 but OBL's actions didn't exactly do much for his own 'people', either. Consequences are that those least deserving often pay the highest price.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody seems bothered about the four others, three unarmed, one female killed in this operation. Serves them right for being there I suppose.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......he was apparently dumped in to the ocean once the u.s government had killed him.

And Al Qaeda were happy to co-operate with this ?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2011/05/201156125729467729.html
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or do you think it would have been better if they either left him leading his quiet life or arrest him?

:o:o Are you for real? Henry!................. :o:o
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yip, and Al Qaeda have kept quiet about it all these years and allowed the US of A their PR victory :rolleyes: