Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to read all of your thoughts on talkSPORT's boxing coverage last night. I listened from start to finish (albeit on a slight delay while listening via TuneIn) and I thoroughly enjoyed their coverage, even if Chisora-Fury II sounded as if it stunk the place out - you could hear the atmosphere deflating as the rounds went on.

Saunders v Eubank Jr sounded like an absolute corker though, I'm looking forward to watching what I can of the fight. Given how the undercard went on far longer than expected, I was really glad talkSPORT did a late deal to broadcast the Frankie Gavin fight - as a fellow Midlander, Frankie's a fighter I've kept an eye on for a while now and it was good to hear him in action.

As for the coverage itself, Ian Darke is a fine broadcaster and it was great to hear him back on talkSPORT after all these years. He put in a masterful stint and as always Richie Woodhall was first class as co-commentator, he's one of the best analysts in any sport IMO. Steve Collins was pretty good too. As for Colin Murray, he's not one of my favourite sports broadcasters by any means but I thought he was pretty good last night. He was enthusiastic throughout and although he sounded a little overblown at times, he didn't overdo it and was tolerable even when he was at his most excitable.

The other thing I wanted to point out is how few commercial breaks there was. By my count there was four breaks over the course of a four and a half hour show - there's usually four per hour. They had a normal quarter hour break at 9.15pm, but on their return from that Colin announced that they'd be commercial-free until the start of the boxing. He was true to his word - the only commercial breaks they had from that point onwards was one just prior to the Gavin fight, one in the break between that bout and the Saunders v Eubank Jr fight and then one after that fight had finished and before Chisora and Fury made their ring walks. They didn't break during rounds, instead opting for audio from the corners during the two feature bouts (eventually giving up on this midway through the Fury fight), and there wasn't even any news bulletins after 9pm until their coverage ended at 1.30am. So that at least was a refreshing break from the norm.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The talkSPORT fight-night commentators were good last night as previously stated we are in total agreement on that and in bringing back Ian Darke after so long that is a very smart move he's excellent but I can't agree on your comments on Colin Murray being enthusiastic but only a little overblown adding he didn't overdo it, :o he was so hyper and over excitable I thought be might self-explode on air. :D

I note you don't mention as part of your evaluation of talkSPORT'S coverage the lack of any audio from the ringmaster of ceremonies Jimmy Lennon, Jr or the breakdown of audio at times during the rounds or the fact that when we could hear them clearly Murray was talking over everyone else, ... come on Diff my good friend be fair be fair if your going to give appraisals. :D
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "i could pay you in doughnuts" >:(
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I note you don't mention as part of your evaluation of talkSPORT'S coverage the lack of any audio from the ringmaster of ceremonies Jimmy Lennon, Jr .......
    Lovely, wasn't it? Why can't we have an English bloke announcing these things in a normal voice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    Lovely, wasn't it? Why can't we have an English bloke announcing these things in a normal voice?

I don't know if it was lovely I never heard him!!!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »

John McDonald would probably do it for a third of the price but they seem to want to fly in these American guys for some reason, personally I think it's all over-the-top nonsense let them just walk on and get on wi' it. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From listening to the fight last night Chris Eubank Jr sounds like he's got a good future ahead but he needs to get out the blocks faster in future fights and not go 5 rounds behind before starting, this is what did him last according to the commentators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    "i could pay you in doughnuts" >:(

You've listened to too many commercials tinman take a break, find a quiet dark room and lay down horizontal for a few hours that should do the trick. :D
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've listened to too many commercials tinman take a break, find a quiet dark room and lay down horizontal for a few hours that should do the trick. :D

Its doing my head in.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Its doing my head in.:cry:

Know exactly where your coming from mate my driveway is full of Ford vans bought after listening to the talkSPORT ads, the garden shed is chock-full of planks from Wickes and my garage is rammed to the rafters with other building materials from Selco, oh and I have enough hedgehog clutter-gutter brushes to last a ###kin' lifetime. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...my driveway is full of Ford vans ....
    With a ladder on top?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    did they actually do the whole commentary without mention name of station once,if they did im amazed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry12 wrote: »
    did they actually do the whole commentary without mention name of station once,if they did im amazed.

You gotta be joking, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D ... Colin was there in between every round to remind us all we were listening to it live and exclusively on talkSPORT. :D
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Radio Station Namechecks Itself Shock Horror :p
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    From listening to the fight last night Chris Eubank Jr sounds like he's got a good future ahead but he needs to get out the blocks faster in future fights and not go 5 rounds behind before starting, this is what did him last according to the commentators.

He has got to remember that he is a fighter first and foremost and worry less about looking flashy. He was tougher and fitter than I thought he had been previously and a couple more good opponents who will test him is the way to go. Not sure if Saunders had a problem in training or not but I did expect more fire from him but never mind he won narrowly.
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't sleep yet like me you should try giving the show on now a listen it's called The Sports Party and it's a great way to end the TalkSport weekend.

I have loved the live commentaries on TalkSport this weekend especially the Barclays Premier League showdowns and the amazing boxing.

It is a good way to wind down from all the excitement of the live sports and the intense phone ins and debates on Call Collymore and Press Pass with a relaxing listen this late on before we all set our alarm clocks for the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

PS be careful if you are of a sensitive disposition there is some fruity language you certainly wouldn't hear on the bland BBC;-)

Keep it TalkSport guys:)
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is Alan Brazils's Rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcQP4PdneE
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't sleep yet like me you should try giving the show on now a listen it's called The Sports Party and it's a great way to end the TalkSport weekend.

I have loved the live commentaries on TalkSport this weekend especially the Barclays Premier League showdowns and the amazing boxing.

It is a good way to wind down from all the excitement of the live sports and the intense phone ins and debates on Call Collymore and Press Pass with a relaxing listen this late on before we all set our alarm clocks for the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

PS be careful if you are of a sensitive disposition there is some fruity language you certainly wouldn't hear on the bland BBC;-)

I could use some fruity language about your comments!
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes whilst sitting on a burning volcano listening to Quinneh tell jokes than tune into anything Guffawde (seewotididthurr?) presents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hang on I just need to check this out.
    CLICK
    > Bullsh!t Amplifier Detector

Edit: 23:43
    Yep [highlight]red[/highlight] for danger - Advice Ignore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to admire his persistence, though; most Forum WUMs give up after a couple of weeks. Anyone heard the gouldfather recently? Thought not.
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may have been Cyber Monday for retail across the country today but for me and my millions of fellow listeners it was TalkSport Monday!

A great start to the day with professional Danny Kelly alongside the fascinating Danny Murphy on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast and a great look back at all the Premier League action from the weekend was followed by the usual banter and japes from Colin Murray and Friends.

Hawksbee and Jacobs offered up some early afternoon insight into the world of sport and Drive with Adrian and Goughie has offered up some lively debate such as should Steven Gerrard leave Liverpool or sign a new contract.

Mondays can be gloomy but TalkSport I find always cheers me up and makes me look forward to the week ahead.:)

What has been everyone else's favourite TalkSport moment today so far? I can't wait for the Premier League to restart again tomorrow and Wednesday too and I will be following all the results on TalkSport over the coming days.

Did you know as well, my friend just updated me on this, you can follow many of your favourite TalkSport presenters on Twitter? I have begun to follow many of them and there are some great tweets out there and I am sure they are all happy to have new online friends like me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that valuable information. Perhaps you'd keep us updated on what you have for lunch, I'm sure we'd be just as interested :-)
    Keep it luncheon-meat!
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ffs why do they always talk about the same old boring sh1t on Foist Noight. I know the improving grass roots topic is important, but they do it like every two weeks, it's so dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been Cyber Monday for retail across the country today but for me and my millions of fellow listeners it was TalkSport Monday!

A great start to the day with professional Danny Kelly alongside the fascinating Danny Murphy on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast and a great look back at all the Premier League action from the weekend was followed by the usual banter and japes from Colin Murray and Friends.

Hawksbee and Jacobs offered up some early afternoon insight into the world of sport and Drive with Adrian and Goughie has offered up some lively debate such as should Steven Gerrard leave Liverpool or sign a new contract.

Mondays can be gloomy but TalkSport I find always cheers me up and makes me look forward to the week ahead.:)

What has been everyone else's favourite TalkSport moment today so far? I can't wait for the Premier League to restart again tomorrow and Wednesday too and I will be following all the results on TalkSport over the coming days.

Did you know as well, my friend just updated me on this, you can follow many of your favourite TalkSport presenters on Twitter? I have begun to follow many of them and there are some great tweets out there and I am sure they are all happy to have new online friends like me.:)

Corbyn love something I've wanted to ask for quite some time ever since you started posting on here what time at night do they lock all doors at the asylum there and how are you fixed for internet access times?.
This discussion has been closed.