Options

Seth Rogan, Sony Hack and 9/11 Threats- Should any type of terror threat be appeased?

Dean_FranceDean_France Posts: 471
Forum Member
http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a617283/seth-rogens-interview-six-cinema-chains-pull-movie-following-threat.html

So the hackers have caused major problems and drama over the past week or so but its now got a bit more worrying?

Threatening to release more private details is one thing but saying they will do a 9/11 on any cinema that shows the film is illegal! The media in general may as well be their sidekicks as they have reported the details of the hack therefore spreading the word.

Should cinemas show the film or not?

Comments

• Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as how quite a few of these hackers are just angsty teenage losers, perhaps by 'doing a 911' they mean they'll have the cinemas swatted.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing is just ludicrous.

I don't understand why they had to make it about the Kim Jong-un. Why not just make it about a fictional North Korean leader? It would probably have spared them all this nonsense and it's not like we wouldn't have known who it was really supposed to be about anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

I don't understand why they had to make it about the Kim Jong-un. Why not just make it about a fictional North Korean leader? It would probably have spared them all this nonsense and it's not like we wouldn't have known who it was really supposed to be about anyway.

The Naked Gun featured a plot to assassinate HM Queen Elizabeth II, I can't seem to remember anyone threatening violence over that.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're gonna fly cinemas into buildings now???
    WHAT WILL THESE TERRORISING TERRORISTS DO NEXT?????

BEST
    ADVERTISING
    EVER

for a rubbish movie
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    for a rubbish movie

How do you know it's rubbish, have you seen it?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently not, as it's been pulled now

HAPPY TERRORISTS?????
    YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    The Naked Gun featured a plot to assassinate HM Queen Elizabeth II, I can't seem to remember anyone threatening violence over that.

And there's been many films that take the p*** out of the united states but north korea does not have a sense of humour about themselves unlike the uk and the us .
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    they're gonna fly cinemas into buildings now???
    WHAT WILL THESE TERRORISING TERRORISTS DO NEXT?????

BEST
    ADVERTISING
    EVER

for a rubbish movie

Not much point in advertising for something that's now been canceled.

To be honest, whilst I don't agree with these threats, you have to wonder how the US, or UK would respond if China, Russia or North Korea released a film about an assassination of Obama or Cameron.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the public release has been cancelled. It'll go straight to DVD and be a worldwide hit. Serves the buggers right.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had all that technological skill, I wouldn't waste my time trying to find out whether Angelina Jolie isn't a very nice person or who, employed by Sony, had disabled children or spent a lot on medical bills over the last however many years.

It all seems such a waste of a skill and seems to indicate a rather juvenile mind behind the whole thing.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »

Didn't Trey Parker and Matt Stone do a Marionette film staring his dad? Controversial political figures are all fair game if you ask me. Mind you, I think this whole thing is just a bit of PR contrived by Sony. They'll release the film next year and a load of people will go and watch it to find out what the "hoo-ha" was all about. North Korea are harmless - nobody is really going to spend $millions on a film and then not show it just because some fat comedy dictator figure takes some umbrage.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Didn't Trey Parker and Matt Stone do a Marionette film staring his dad? Controversial political figures are all fair game if you ask me. Mind you, I think this whole thing is just a bit of PR contrived by Sony. They'll release the film next year and a load of people will go and watch it to find out what the "hoo-ha" was all about. North Korea are harmless - nobody is really going to spend $millions on a film and then not show it just because some fat comedy dictator figure takes some umbrage.

Problem is it's in the hands of people like insurers now. If they think there is any chance anybody could come to danger, they will insist it's pulled.

I hope it is released, I was looking forward to seeing it anyway.. and even if it isn't officially released it will sure as hell be 'leaked' at some point, but Sony themselves have to tow the 'safe' line.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's Seth Rogen. The world's most unfunny man. There is a huge fuss about a book at bedtime producing Hilary Mantel's Assasination of Margaret Thatcher. I imagine a comedy about assasination of Cameron or Obama made by N.Korea and given a world wide release would cause a lot of fuss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony aren't cancelling the release because fatboy Kim took umbrage, they're cancelling it because quite a few cinemas are refusing to show it due to the potential acts of terrorism aimed at them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

yes they did team america
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they did team america

F**k yeah!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    It all seems such a waste of a skill and seems to indicate a rather juvenile mind behind the whole thing.
    Indeed ^_^.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

Much like almost all of Rogen's attempts at humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Much like almost all of Rogen's attempts at humour.
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all :D
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Yes but Frank Drebin, the hero of the hour, was there to save her and thwart the evil, bad guys so it was all good.

What I'm saying is, the filmmakers know how dangerous and unhinged Kim Jong-un is so I just find it strange that they decided to go with this as the premise of the movie.
    As I said, I'd they'd changed his name in it or something it probably wouldn't have provoked such a severe reaction even though we'd know exactly who it was about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What counties/groups or people is it ok to poke fun at and take the p*** out of without causing offence now a days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What counties/groups or people is it ok to poke fun at and take the p*** out of without causing offence now a days?
    Forum members I think ;):D

*kidding!!!* ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furthermore what sort of brain dead idiot would go to the cinema on Xmas day to see a Seth Rogen film?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone REALLY think it was North Korea behind the hacking?

Somewhere there's a /b/tard laughing himself to death. And it's a tragic waste, because he could have come up with the new Doge. On the other hand, he could have come up with the new GamerGate, so it's kind of a Schrodinger's Cat situation.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Interesting message being sent out here: send out unsubstantiated threats and you will get results.