Options

Carol and David's rekindled relationship?

Glitter03Glitter03 Posts: 2,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this supposed to be genuine on David's part?

Or is it to wind Derek up when he eventually finds out about them?

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit flumoxed over all this squeeing about these two. Maybe I'm just cynical but he wants to spend the rest of his life with Carol??? It just doesn't compute...unless he's fallen on hard times.

Edit : it was only a couple of weeks ago that Pat found out that he'd run off with Simon's wife.
  • Options
    Glitter03Glitter03 Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to have all happened very quickly which is why something doesn't quite ring true about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I agree it's a bit rushed, but that's because David is only back for two weeks.

I liked them as a couple back in the 90s. It seems natural to me that they pick up where they left off.
  • Options
    Adrian gracieAdrian gracie Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glitter03 wrote: »
    It does seem to have all happened very quickly which is why something doesn't quite ring true about it.
    Remind you of anything? eddie/carol? eddie/vanessa? Mandy/ian? tyler/whit? fats/whit? micheal/janine? denise/yusef? masood/jane e.t.c All pairings that were clumsily put together to serve a plot.Shotgun romances with one or both partners uttering I love you within a week.I dont know what it is about kirkwood but it seems everyone in walford falls in love really hard and fast under his watch.

The only thing that saves carol/david story is it has a backstory old EE fans are familiar with.And the actors are not only great but have chemistry
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame it's not going to last :(
  • Options
    polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are childhood 'sweethearts' - i think that's why both are quick to fall back into each others arms, it might have a slight "wind up derek" for david but i think their pairing is well sweet.
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    I really like David - I was too young when he was first around (I think I remember him, but I was so young it must have been around the time he left).....

I really like Carol and David together - hate when soaps do this - put two characters that I like together and then break them up few episodes later ... urgh :mad:
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they a couple in the 90s? I cant remember them being together :confused: from what i remember Carol was always with Alan and David was always with Cindy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Were they a couple in the 90s? I cant remember them being together :confused: from what i remember Carol was always with Alan and David was always with Cindy.

after Cindy left too go to France(she wanted David too come with her),he started an affair with Carol for about a month just before he left i think,but if he was really in love with her that time he'd of stuck around and not just left because his son was going a bit loopy and everyone in the square hated him because of the affair with Cindy.
  • Options
    Adrian gracieAdrian gracie Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats actually a good question, I dont remember them either.I think she cheated on alan with david in 97.Which was the beginning of the end for Alan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love david and carol together, i'd like him to stay it's a shame we know he's leaving.
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're great characters/actors but I agree that it's all been too rushed. I don't believe for a second that David would want to spend the rest of his life with Carol nor do I believe she'd be so quick to risk getting hurt by him again. Despite that I've enjoyed their scenes and I'll be sad to see David go. Whether it's down to his presence or not, EE since his return has felt more like the EE of old with all the character based drama. I can't see it lasting though. They're already gearing up for a return to the usual plot led crap.
  • Options
    blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as eastenders86 said they had a fling a little while before he left the square. It was Carol who ended it though, as she was married to Alan and thought she should give that another go. David was having problems with Bacofoil Joe and everyone else in the square, apart from Carol, seemed to hate him. I think they were in love, but it ended up being kind of a repeat situation to when they were 14. They were being kept apart by their family circumstances and it ended up with David being chased/running out of town.

It kind of looks like it's going that way again...:(
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remind you of anything? eddie/carol? eddie/vanessa? Mandy/ian? tyler/whit? fats/whit? micheal/janine? denise/yusef? masood/jane e.t.c All pairings that were clumsily put together to serve a plot.Shotgun romances with one or both partners uttering I love you within a week.I dont know what it is about kirkwood but it seems everyone in walford falls in love really hard and fast under his watch.

The only thing that saves carol/david story is it has a backstory old EE fans are familiar with.And the actors are not only great but have chemistry

Masood and Jane were realistic, even if they didn't have the chemistry of Masood/Zainab and Ian/Jane. They'd been getting closer over the course of 2 years, working together and talking about their problems - Jane over Ian and not being able to have a baby and Masood;s problems with Zainab and Syed. They even spent an evening in a hotel room together.

Their eventual relationship was still a bit clumsy though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love David and Carol getting together, wish David was sticking around to see it through though.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    i love David and Carol getting together, wish David was sticking around to see it through though.

That's how I feel. I suppose because they were childhood sweethearts and were kept apart, they're now rekindling what was lost but I can agree with other FM's that it's all so rushed. There probably is an element of winding Dec up but I still think it's genuine, then again maybe not and we'll end up despising him if and when he walks out on Carol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally buy into their relationship, and remember their feelings for each others from the 90's. Thought David got it spot on when he said they were like Frank & Pat - no matter what happens, and how long it's been since they were together, they're always going to end up back with each other. Such a pity if he's leaving
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    I totally buy into their relationship, and remember their feelings for each others from the 90's. Thought David got it spot on when he said they were like Frank & Pat - no matter what happens, and how long it's been since they were together, they're always going to end up back with each other. Such a pity if he's leaving

Yeah it was like when David said in one of the episodes last week, they can get into each others heads. They know each other better than anyone else. I don't think either are disillusioned about each others flaws and bad points. They know what they are, they know that they probably won't change, but they can't help being together, like Pat and Frank.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how long David Wicks (Michael French) is in Eastenders for ?

I don't understand how he can still be in Casualty and now EE.
    Is he only in EE for a while or has he/will he take a break from Casualty ?

Casualty is made in Cardiff (previously Bristol) so surely he couldn't do both :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »

Casualty is made in Cardiff (previously Bristol) so surely he couldn't do both :confused:

I'm pretty sure he leaves EE again on Friday....such a shame, it's been great having him back!
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers are really killing us with this 'I'm staying' attitude from David, it's cruel.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »

F***ing Casualty. EE is where he BELONGS!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers are really killing us with this 'I'm staying' attitude from David, it's cruel.

But it does make me think it might be heading towards a longer-term return in future... If they never intended anything long-term why give him all those type of lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, it really makes it bittersweet doesn't it? They're so cruel giving him back to us for a few weeks, reminding us how brilliant he is, then whisking him back away again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    But it does make me think it might be heading towards a longer-term return in future... If they never intended anything long-term why give him all those type of lines.

That's what I'm hoping! When they said he was coming back, I just thought they'd bring him in, give him a few nostalgic scenes, sit him in the Vic, attend the funeral and that would be that. They've given him huge amount of story though for just a 2 week flying visit. I'm glad they did though and he's done amazingly well with it, but it actually displays how well he would fit in for a long term return and how many links with other characters old and new he's developed.