JK Rowling

PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
given so much to charity she's dropped off forbes billionaires list (plus paying so much tax which she has already said she doesn;t mind paying).

more people should be like her

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9129981/Forbes-list-JK-Rowling-fortune-under-vanishing-spell.html

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely lady.:)
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is brilliant and she walks the walk too.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a Potter fan, but I do think she's a person with a lot of heart who gives back to society and helps people less well off than herself. Which of course is a lovely thing to do.

I doubt she's worried about being down to her last 640 million quid! :D
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame that more in her position don't take a leaf from her book instead of throwing it away on grossly overpriced handbags and other trinkets. Good on you, Joanne. She might have dropped off Forbes Billionaire's list bu I bet she doesn't give a damn. She's some philanthropist and it's refreshing that as an 'A' lister she keeps her private life just that. I know she lost her mum to MS and does a lot to support the Scottish MS Society. I bet she'd have given all her fortune away to have her mum back.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Shame that more in her position don't take a leaf from her book instead of throwing it away on grossly overpriced handbags and other trinkets. Good on you, Joanne. She might have dropped off Forbes Billionaire's list bu I bet she doesn't give a damn. She's some philanthropist and it's refreshing that as an 'A' lister she keeps her private life just that. I know she lost her mum to MS and does a lot to support the Scottish MS Society. I bet she'd have given all her fortune away to have her mum back.

Agree. An all-round class act.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JKR already has more money than she'll ever need, but rather than becoming a tax exile to hang on to her fortune, she contributes to society via taxes.

She's made no secret it's because of the welfare state she was able to start out writing because it supported her and her daughter. Now she's ensuring other people like her get to keep their heads above water via her tax.

A thoroughly decent woman.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    She is a nice lady. Nice comments as well. Guess i'm too early for the trolls.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such an amazing, generous person she is.

A great role model.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing lady in every sense. After all her success she's remained so down to earth. More "celebrities" need to be like her.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A true philanthropist and, by all accounts, a charming, self-effacing and humble woman who has worked damn hard and is visibly grateful to those who supported her. The kind of person that we really should laud and celebrate (not the Katie Prices, Kerry Katonas or La Middletons of the country).
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She knows how it is to be down on luck and struggling, and now that she's made her fortune she hasn't forgotten how that felt and has given back and contributed to society. She is a great role model.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    A true philanthropist and, by all accounts, a charming, self-effacing and humble woman who has worked damn hard and is visibly grateful to those who supported her. The kind of person that we really should laud and celebrate (not the Katie Prices, Kerry Katonas or La Middletons of the country).

Hear hear!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What can i say...the woman rules. That is all.
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Have always liked her. What a wonderful example she sets. :)
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Never read one of her books or seen any of her films (just not my thing) but this lady is just one class act. Totally deserving of all the amazing things that have happened to her since she started writing the first Potter novel in her local coffee shop.

I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.

A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jk-rowling-on-high-taxes-2012-9#ixzz2IdNR1Cy0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Because she is a Labour supporter I do not see her getting a Damehood soon, but I agree with everything everyone has said I think she has both a lot of talent and heart. For the poster who mentioned Katona/Price in their post please do not deface JK Rowling by putting them in the same post as her (I am not insutling you I promise!!!!!) JK Rowling is a class act
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Lovely woman.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She put a lot of that generosity into Harry, when he won all that gold in the TriWizard Tournament he gave it to the Wesley twin, so they could start their business, he had enough money and it was his chance to pay them back of all they had given him, despite the fact they were very, very poor.
    Many of the Slytherins come from wealthy families who judge others on wealth, family blood and status. The Dursley's are the same and raised Dudley to be greedy and entitled.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If J.K.Rowling wants to give to charity, she should give from the interest she gets. Bad idea to touch the actual fortune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If J.K.Rowling wants to give to charity, she should give from the interest she gets. Bad idea to touch the actual fortune.

How do you know she doesn't? :confused:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know she doesn't? :confused:

Her fortune wouldn't have gotten smaller if she'd only touched the interest. Plus, it says in the article that her fortune's decreased because of her charitable giving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Her fortune wouldn't have gotten smaller if she'd only touched the interest. Plus, it says in the article that her fortune's decreased because of her charitable giving.

I doubt you're au fait with her tax affairs so let's just say it doesn't really matter. I expect she can pay for the best financial advice money can buy, so she won't be being advised to do the worst thing with her cash.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    milliejo wrote: »
    She put a lot of that generosity into Harry, when he won all that gold in the TriWizard Tournament he gave it to the Wesley twin, so they could start their business, he had enough money and it was his chance to pay them back of all they had given him, despite the fact they were very, very poor.
    Many of the Slytherins come from wealthy families who judge others on wealth, family blood and status. The Dursley's are the same and raised Dudley to be greedy and entitled.

And even Dudley began to change for the better by the end of it all
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She pontificates a bit too much for my liking.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Lovely, and talented, woman.

She's never really forgotten her humble upbringing, and that shows in this generosity.