Options

Death Becomes Her (1992)

MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
Forum Member
✭✭
I saw this film on ITV last night and it brought back so many memories. Such a great film - one of those movies that, for me anyway, you always kind of forget about until you see it on the TV guide!

Having probably not watched it properly in a good few years, I was able to pick up on subtle little clues that I missed as a child.

For example, the guy who passes the details of Lisle Von Rhuman to Madeline was wearing the gold pin that she gives her "clients" after they take the potion.

And, of course, the wonderful (uncredited) cameo from the late, great Sydney Pollack as the utterly shocked and bemused ER doctor.

A genius film.

Comments

• Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Death becomes her is 1992 not 1998 but it's not the worst film in the world. Not the best either mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death becomes her is 1992 not 1998 but it's not the worst film in the world. Not the best either mind you.

Ooops, I didn't check for typos...!
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the cinema to see this, but I was only 16 so I think I was just too young to 'get' it IYSWIM? I have watched it since though, and I quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have seen this film around 8 times at least, absolutely love it! :D
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " Now a warning ??!"

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love that it doesn't matter at what point you start watching it, you can just pick it up. That's the sign of a good film, IMHO.

I know it's a silly, far fetched, perhaps OTT movie, but it always makes me laugh.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is it Hawn that gets the hole through her?

I think that's the first time I remember seeing that effect.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Brilliantly camp movie. Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep are fab in it!
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I went to the cinema to see this, but I was only 16 so I think I was just too young to 'get' it IYSWIM? I have watched it since though, and I quite enjoyed it.

I thought it was a PG, love the movie but they always show it in the afternoon and they cut bits out of it
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    For example, the guy who passes the details of Lisle Von Rhuman to Madeline was wearing the gold pin that she gives her "clients" after they take the potion.

Did you notice his eye going funny as well? Like when they have to start the upkeep on their bodies.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    Brilliantly camp movie. Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep are fab in it!

Yep. I think this was also the first time i saw a comedic Bruce Willis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " Now a warning ??!"

:D

So many funny one liners!

"Flaaaaaaaaaaacid!"
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " Now a warning ??!"

Haha

I've watched this film more times than I care to admit. Love it.

Madeleine! 'You put a hole in my stomach!'...:D
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a PG, love the movie but they always show it in the afternoon and they cut bits out of it

Including one of the best lines. "On guard...BITCH!"

I like this film but after they stop fighting and become friends I don't enjoy it as much!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yep. I think this was also the first time i saw a comedic Bruce Willis.
    I think for many it was a comedic Bruce Willis they knew first from Moonlighting* on television. It was a few years later that Die Hard turned him into a then unlikely action star. He's proved a lot in his time - shame he seems to given up these days.

*I enjoyed this back in the day, but wonder how well (or badly) it's aged. I sort of fear finding out, if you know the feeling. I do recall its cheesy wine bar theme of course :blush:
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, it's a typical three star film! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for many it was a comedic Bruce Willis they knew first from Moonlighting* on television. It was a few years later that Die Hard turned him into a then unlikely action star. He's proved a lot in his time - shame he seems to given up these days.

*I enjoyed this back in the day, but wonder how well (or badly) it's aged. I sort of fear finding out, if you know the feeling. I do recall its cheesy wine bar theme of course :blush:

The theme tune was the best bit! What a great show that was. I remember watching it with my mum when I was little. Being so young, a lot of it went over my head but I still smile when I hear that song!!

"Some walk by night...."
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was supposed to this film when it first came out at the cinema as my Mum's partner knew someone who worked at the cinema, but when I got there I ended watching Home Alone. Lost in New York instead. To this day I have never seen this film.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, Bruce was in Wes Anderson's 'Moonrise Kingdom' from 2012 which is an off beat comedy and the Red Movies have their share of humour?