Madonna's Film Career

2»

Comments

• RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I love Madonna but I much prefer her musical outings rather than her films.

I do love Evita, WTG,DSS, Dick Tracy and In Bed With.. though!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I've never watched any of Madonna's films, so I can't say how good or bad they were, I did laugh when I saw that this thread was (at the time of posting this) below the 'Films that are hard to watch' thread!
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Desperately Seeking Susan is a pretty entertaining film. I have it on DVD. Evita is all right. However, the rest of Madonna's film career is mostly dire. Kylie Minogue's isn't really any better. They should have been more selective. Cher was, and it won her an Oscar.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan, Who's that girl and Evita were the only decent films she did imo

She was a very limited actress and I think she took herself too seriously. I have watched many interviews of her throughout her career and she really did think she was a gifted actress. She wasn't. I am a big fan of Madonna but I won't be biased and make out she was something she wasn't.

W/E was a good film but it wasn't well directed.

She hit gold with Evita because it had very little dialogue and was essentially all singing. She put a lot into the role and was worthy of her golden globe award. I wouldn't of minded her making more musical films.

There does seem to be some sort of stigma with popstars who go into acting. They rarely ever go on to have successful long standing movie careers. The only example I can think of is Cher. I would of said Barbra Streisand but she was actually an established broadway actress before her music career anyway.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    I am neither a die hard fan or hater, but both as an actress and director she is embarrassingly awful.

Yes, agreed. A League Of Their Own was a great film, but tbh she was substandard throughout.