Comments

• popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Makes me laugh how Sky HAVE to be first at everything like that irritating kid at school or the guy from work that can always beat a story.. Its not that impressive (The bragging i mean)
    And its hardly the first 4k broadcast either. BBC did a shitload of them last year in testing aswell as a live broadcast of a music performance in a studio, so its nothing 'new' Sky....
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Makes me laugh how Sky HAVE to be first at everything like that irritating kid at school or the guy from work that can always beat a story.. Its not that impressive (The bragging i mean)
    And its hardly the first 4k broadcast either. BBC did a shitload of them last year in testing aswell as a live broadcast of a music performance in a studio, so its nothing 'new' Sky....

nothing wrong with innovating and/or pushing boundaries.
    if everyone stood still then we'd never have progression.

if it wasn't for people doing that you woulnd't be sitting with your Freeview HD and Virgin BB.

it's was most likely a technical exercise more than anything else.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    nothing wrong with innovating and/or pushing boundaries.
    if everyone stood still then we'd never have progression.

if it wasn't for people doing that you woulnd't be sitting with your Freeview HD and Virgin BB.

it's was most likely a technical exercise more than anything else.

I need to update my profile i think :D

I agree we need innovation, i just can't stand the constant 'look at me' attitude Sky have with everything and claiming to be first when they're actually not even close to first...
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to update my profile i think :D

I agree we need innovation, i just can't stand the constant 'look at me' attitude Sky have with everything and claiming to be first when they're actually not even close to first...

is it sky saying first or the daily telegraph?
    and is it actually a first for britain with "live ultra high-defintion broadcast" ?
    "Sky trial is the first to use satellites that are also available for commercial purposes to send images around the country"
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    i just can't stand the constant 'look at me' attitude Sky have with everything and claiming to be first when they're actually not even close to first...

Same as Apple then? ;)
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it seems they were 'first' at what they did, send 4K pics via Sateliite that could be picked up anywehere, the BBC did do 4K but was routed via cable to one location. and the article did say the BBC trialled 4K first.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The system under test creates a picture four times better than HD and on the last day of August, Sky put together a world first: a football ground to studio to TV set 'end-to-end' UHDTV test transmission.

http://news.sky.com/story/1135574/ultra-high-definition-tv-coming-soon
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet that even the Americans haven't yet aired a live sports show in Ultra High Definition! I would have thought that knowing them, they would have done such a thing 5 years ago! :cool::D
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    But it seems they were 'first' at what they did, send 4K pics via Sateliite that could be picked up anywehere, the BBC did do 4K but was routed via cable to one location. and the article did say the BBC trialled 4K first.

The BBC/NHK system is UHD2 (not UHD1 as Sky demoed) i.e 7680 pixels wide ....
    and in 2008 this system was demonstrated by IP circuits from City Hall London to the IBC show at in Amsterdam..
    and at the same time there was a satellite link from RAI in Italy (who have always led in DVB-Sx work)
    .... and for the Olympics NHK provided a OB truck etc to cover events -
    and has postproduction systems etc - before it was compressed and run over JANET
    and similar academic networks in the UK USA and Japan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    So it seems Sky were the first to broadcast UHD to the general population and it could be received by people with suitable equipment. At the same time they were the first to broadcast a live Sports event in UHD. Various others, including the Beeb, has trialled closed circuit UHD of many events, but the potential audience was small and pre-sekected due to the nature of their trials.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC/NHK system is UHD2 (not UHD1 as Sky demoed) i.e 7680 pixels wide ....

Yes, ISTR a lot talk last year suggesting that NHK would be by-passing 4K and going straight to 8K. Is there any recent info on this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many UHD channels we will be getting at launch when Sky officially starts offering a UHD service? :rolleyes::D
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than displays I have never seen any UHD1 Kit with NHK.

Basically their approach is to have the state of the art system in use in 2026 when they celebrate their centenary...
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many UHD channels we will be getting at launch when Sky officially starts offering a UHD service? :rolleyes::D

I would imagine just a single channel, and the boxes are already in development (ready for if it does actually happen).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine just a single channel, and the boxes are already in development (ready for if it does actually happen).
    So is there a strong chance that the UK could be one of the first (not THE first obviously) countries in the world to have regular UHD broadcasts, not just trial/experimental UHD broadcasts?
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so will we have 3 channels for sky sports 1 etc? :confused:

SD, HD & UltraHD
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.B wrote: »
    so will we have 3 channels for sky sports 1 etc? :confused:

SD, HD & UltraHD

We will be far away from dedicated UHD channels launching, it may coincide with closure of SD channels, so HD would become the standard. Many years away though I guess. Just my opinion.
  • Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    So is there a strong chance that the UK could be one of the first (not THE first obviously) countries in the world to have regular UHD broadcasts, not just trial/experimental UHD broadcasts?

I'd imagine we will be the first country outside of Asia for UHD broadcasts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jameseh. wrote: »
    I'd imagine we will be the first country outside of Asia for UHD broadcasts.
    That would be lovely, but I would have thought that the United States would have been the first country outside Asia for UHD broadcasts, just like they were with HD broadcasts back in the late 1990s! :confused:
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than displays I have never seen any UHD1 Kit with NHK.

Basically their approach is to have the state of the art system in use in 2026 when they celebrate their centenary...

That sounds cool! I hope its acually affordable to have UHD2 by then!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    That would be lovely, but I would have thought that the United States would have been the first country outside Asia for UHD broadcasts, just like they were with HD broadcasts back in the late 1990s! :confused:

That was only because their SD system was so poor, and unable to do widescreen.

In many respects the USA tend to be behind the times.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    We will be far away from dedicated UHD channels launching, it may coincide with closure of SD channels, so HD would become the standard. Many years away though I guess. Just my opinion.

Why do you think Sky wouldnt want to launch a UHD channel sooner?
    Also an SD switch off, or more correctly a DVB-S1 MPEG 2 switch off, could happen sooner if Sky could find new ways of getting customers off the old boxes.
    FTA Dsat would still have DVB-S1 MPEG2 for a while though because of freesat (not FSFS), but even that could be moved on slowly leaving just the PSB channels in DVB-S1 MPEG2 at the end.
    Anyway I dont think it needs to take as long as you say.
  • derek39derek39 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Would You Start Looking To Buy 4k TV If Sky Was to Start Ultra High Definition Channel.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4K tv, no doubt will be / would be as popular as 3D tv ! No real point to domestic 4K tv, well apart from trying to make ebryone cough up more money on subs, tv's etc !
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Sky has the infrastructure to provide premium services to those "early adopters" who are willing to pay through the nose.