Comments

• Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pam's looks fab.
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gabby's costume is too good for someone who has never sewed. I really don't believe her claims.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wendi and Dave made splendid final frocks last time. If I was the same size as Wendi's model, I'd buy hers, it was very glamorous and lovely.
    Pam is very good in this one, that cockerel was absolutely excellent.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a final round for all the winners to compete in?
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no :)
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think there is. The Celeb version of The Bakeoff was the same
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    no :)
    I dont think there is. The Celeb version of The Bakeoff was the same

Shame. Would have been good to see Wendi against Pam. They would have pushed each other.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame. Would have been good to see Wendi against Pam. They would have pushed each other.

I would love to see a grand finalé. Same for Bake Off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They all look exhausted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    I would love to see a grand finalé. Same for Bake Off.

Me too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind Pam's creations, especially the skirt :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dora_Jar wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Pam's creations, especially the skirt :)

Put a bid in. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only recognise one of the celebs next time.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only recognise one of the celebs next time.

One more than me I'm afraid!

Now I've got used to Patricks new look I notice he's got a nice chin - very Cary Grant.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hmm. J'deteste those who claim they can't or aren't very good at something when they quite obviously are, or are quite capable.

Oh yeah, so obviously had lessons/previous experience beforehand, her (very loud, very shrieky) clams that she'd never done it before were absolute rubbish - Mark had obviously never sewn before, Gabby was entirely competent - What's wrong with saying 'When I decided to do this I got some lessons off my Mum/friend/Great Aunt Ida etc' instead of pretending to have some great, natural talent and 'oh gosh, look, little old me can sew'

Very glad Pam, who was marvellous, was there to make sure she couldn't win. Mind you, she did achieve something in managing to be far more irritating then Louis, which takes some doing.

I too only recognise one from tonight's show as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I listen to Gemma Cairney on Radio 1 while driving at the weekend, I know the comedian from somewhere and the Overtones singer, well, I know his music.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I hope to never see Louie Spence on anything ever again.

I'd never heard of Mark Watson before Wednesday night when he had a programme on Radio 4 in the 'comedy' slot at 6.30pm. I didn't know he was already in the realms of 'celebrity'. At least he wasn't a pain in the rear end like Spence.

Gaby Roslin was annoying but I did like her Alice in Wonderland skirt (and like others I don't believe she'd never sewn anything before).

Pam seemed to really enjoy it. I wonder if she'll dust off her sewing machine :D
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I believe Gabby might not have sewn before. My husband hadn't and I'd had an accident and couldn't finish something. He sat at my sewing machine and completed half a garment, saying it was just common sense to follow written instructions. Admittedly he only did straight sewing, but in a dead straight line and a but of a curve.

I used to teach sewing and some of the students just "had it". Some people just have a natural ability and Gabby didn't do anything complicated in the way of sewing, but she obviously has a creative streak to think of the scaly spine down the back.

Mark, on the other hand, is completely cack-handed. But give him credit - he tried and stayed to the end. A lesser person wouldn't have come back for the second day.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    From the next lot I recognised the woman with the bulgy eyes ... Helen Lederer (or something) is it? But I've no idea who the others are.

From last night, never heard of Mark Watson. Can't stand Louie Spence. He seems to enjoy being 'over gay' in everything he does. He's just bloody annoying.

Pam was lovely - and brilliant! Loved the rooster costume.

As for Patrick. When I saw a piece about this programme in my TV mag last week. I looked at a picture they had, without reading anything, and I thought it was a different bloke cos I was looking for one with a beard! lol
    Amazing how different he looks without the beard, when you've only ever seen him with with beard.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I believe Gabby might not have sewn before. My husband hadn't and I'd had an accident and couldn't finish something. He sat at my sewing machine and completed half a garment, saying it was just common sense to follow written instructions. Admittedly he only did straight sewing, but in a dead straight line and a but of a curve.

I used to teach sewing and some of the students just "had it". Some people just have a natural ability and Gabby didn't do anything complicated in the way of sewing, but she obviously has a creative streak to think of the scaly spine down the back.

Mark, on the other hand, is completely cack-handed. But give him credit - he tried and stayed to the end. A lesser person wouldn't have come back for the second day.

I don't know - like a lot of the others I took her i don't sew tale at face value - until i saw her clippping into the seam allowance on her memory skirt waistband and explaining to camera that it was to make it lie flat ...... that's when i thought aha! she doth protest too much!

Regarding Dave's stellar improvement - We know that the contestants have the chance to prepare their final challenge projects beforehand, and i wouldn't mind betting that Mrs Dave (who he told us several times IS a sewing fan) ran him through exactly what he needed to do - and/ or wrote him very specific instructions. We saw Wendi had some sort of printed document with a picture of her finished dress and typing below it - which wouldn't have been in a commercial pattern.....

I was prepared to dislike Louie - but I thought he came across quite well on this. He seemed to take it seriously, had some great ideas, and I think he may have been runner up over Gabby. Pam was in a league of her own though!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Gabby's costume is too good for someone who has never sewed. I really don't believe her claims.

I think there were a couple of liar's in there. No way has Gabby never sewn anything, why say that! The Alice In Wonderland skirt proved that.

I am sure Pam said she had not sewn for years and has had a machine for 40 years and it was still in the box. So how did she know a machine reverses when it does a button hole? I brought one last year and am still trying to find out what it does :blush:

Obviously the comedian has never sewn before :D

I only know Helen Lederer in the next episode.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure Gabby had some kind of help and advice beforehand - which is fine and perfectly sensible if she hadn't made such a big, loud, deal about knowing nothing at all!
    I thought Sara Cox was good too- another better than I had expected.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    I am sure Gabby had some kind of help and advice beforehand - which is fine and perfectly sensible if she hadn't made such a big, loud, deal about knowing nothing at all!
    I thought Sara Cox was good too- another better than I had expected.

I really like Sara. I use to listened to her on her radio show and the tales of her children were so funny.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pam has sewed in a professional capacity, which goes against the spirit of the show and made Mark look like a fool. He was supposed to be up against other novices
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I think there were a couple of liar's in there. No way has Gabby never sewn anything, why say that! The Alice In Wonderland skirt proved that.

I am sure Pam said she had not sewn for years and has had a machine for 40 years and it was still in the box. So how did she know a machine reverses when it does a button hole? I brought one last year and am still trying to find out what it does :blush:

Obviously the comedian has never sewn before :D

I only know Helen Lederer in the next episode.

I'd give Pam a bit of leeway, she was obviously vastly experienced in her younger days - worked commercially from what I remember was said, and I'd be surprised if she hadn't dusted off her machine in the run up to this, but I'm prepared to think that she'd retained a lot of knowledge from those days.

However Gabby's shrieky, continual claims of never sewing anything before, nope, not buying it, not entirely sure Sara Cox did either, amount of times she brought it up with what sounded, to my ears, a slightly sarcastic tone (but that's probably just me projecting :blush: )