Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    So Arsenal manage to hold on for a 2-1 win which returns them to the top of the league.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Assuming Arsenal win - If Liverpool win then they go back to third at worst and 2nd if win by 3 goals - which is unlikely!

Wouldn't a win by 2 goals move us up to 2nd? We and Spurs would both have 13 points and a +4 GD but we would have scored more?
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Wouldn't a win by 2 goals move us up to 2nd? We and Spurs would both have 13 points and a +4 GD but we would have scored more?
    And we are ahead of Spurs in the alphabet. :D
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all well and good us beating mid-table sides like Villa, United and Stoke but we need to start beating top four sides like Southampton... :D

Seriously, though, I don't get the blame all being put at Moyes' door. Fergie was a one-off and squeezed everything out of those players, especially in recent seasons where Chelsea and City were spending big whilst United decided to exercise some financial common sense.

He's not helping matters by some erratic team selections (Anderson today) but to be fair he's got to give all the squad chance to prove themselves before he settles on a consistent team and formation.

I also think, as I suggested when Fergie left, that teams are beginning to not be intimidated when playing United and are actually giving it a go (aside from Chelsea's bus) as West Brom did today much to Steve Clarke's credit.

Lastly, key players in Ferdinand, Vidic and Carrick are in their thirties and replacements are either injury prone or inconsistent.

It's easy to blame it all on Moyes but any other manager will have faced all or some of the exact same issues. That being said, a more considered and active transfer window may have helped a lot - but it's hard to determine whether that was mainly down to Moyes or Woodward's bedding in.

Apologies for posting this here but I'd rather leave the United thread well alone despite my opinions being nothing but honest. Being around for a while, I'm interested in the way dynasties start (and end) in football having gone through it with Liverpool. That's not suggesting United will follow our example but the initial symptoms are certainly similar so it's important for United to not continue making the mistakes we did in the 90s.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we are ahead of Spurs in the alphabet. :D

One day, that'll pay dividends - Arsenal were very cunning when they changed from Woolwich Arsenal...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    It's all well and good us beating mid-table sides like Villa, United and Stoke but we need to start beating top four sides like Southampton... :D

Seriously, though, I don't get the blame all being put at Moyes' door. Fergie was a one-off and squeezed everything out of those players, especially in recent seasons where Chelsea and City were spending big whilst United decided to exercise some financial common sense.

He's not helping matters by some erratic team selections (Anderson today) but to be fair he's got to give all the squad chance to prove themselves before he settles on a consistent team and formation.

I also think, as I suggested when Fergie left, that teams are beginning to not be intimidated when playing United and are actually giving it a go (aside from Chelsea's bus) as West Brom did today much to Steve Clarke's credit.

Lastly, key players in Ferdinand, Vidic and Carrick are in their thirties and replacements are either injury prone or inconsistent.

It's easy to blame it all on Moyes but any other manager will have faced all or some of the exact same issues. That being said, a more considered and active transfer window may have helped a lot - but it's hard to determine whether that was mainly down to Moyes or Woodward's bedding in.

Apologies for posting this here but I'd rather leave the United thread well alone despite my opinions being nothing but honest. Being around for a while, I'm interested in the way dynasties start (and end) in football having gone through it with Liverpool. That's not suggesting United will follow our example but the initial symptoms are certainly similar so it's important for United to not continue making the mistakes we did in the 90s.

It'll be interesting to see how bad the results could get before the media really start to question Moyes.He led a charmed life as Everton boss with them.Always had the excuse of not having the money of many other clubs in the PL.

Even now the media are dangling the form of Rooney as a positive of DM being in charge.I'm not so convinced that WR isn't doing exactly what RVP did in his last season at Arsenal.Putting in blinders to increase his transfer value and look elsewhere next summer.

This is the most interesting start to a PL season for quite some time.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is just that this season, the competition is very severe, more so than in previous seasons, so a lot of teams can beat each other, on any given day.

That is all it is really.

'That is all it is really'.

Ha, ha, haaaaa

Is it? , you keep yelling yourself that , i said at the start of the season there will be no top 4 for the Mancs, knew it!

Love it, made my day in the pub today, was sat with a Man city season ticket holder today in the pub (sound bloke), even though they shat out its a still a great day, he was loving it and we both agreed that Moyes is absolute turd, hopefilly he stays on, for years ive (amd him) wanted teams to go at them at the toilet and knew they would get a bit of joy if they did, even Steve Kean knew that!, haha, if yo are a LFC fan you should be loving this, there hasn't been many times we can laugh our tits off at them, enjoy it while you can!!!!!

Seriously Moyes hasn't a clue how to set up a postive team and their squad is absolute crap, hahhaha, loving it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal look very good at the moment.

Indeed, they will shit out though, their defence is rubbis, but to be fair they will probably score more than they concede. 3-2s and 4-2s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. pissed right up but its hilarious, if you can't laugh as a LFC fan more fool you!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Ok. pissed right up but its hilarious, if you can't laugh as a LFC fan more fool you!

Honestly one could never tell that you have had a few too many. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

Loving it though, every game all of a sudden doesn't look straight forward though does it?

Hehe.

Keep Moyes in! hes a winner!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chosen one!

Ok ive just soiled myself now! bahaha,.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man United lose at home.

Fans booing.

The Man United thread will go into meltdown tonight. :D
    BIB - that it did. Mods have some mopping up to do...
    I have looked and it is fraught. :eek:

It is very tempting to post in there and wind everyone up but I will resist.

That just isn't my style and also such things often rebound badly.

It is still early in the season and United are not out of the title race yet.

One Five Live Man United caller said they would struggle to get 40 points and wants Moyes sacked now and Ferguson brought back with Gary Neville as assistant. :D
    BIB - there were 2-3 'Pool fans debating sensibly about their current situation in there, shame one FM had to spoil it.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

BIB - there were 2-3 'Pool fans debating sensibly about their current situation in there, shame one FM had to spoil it.

Most of the Liverpool fans on this board are top guys and are more than welcome in our thread even if its with a bit of cheeky posting at our expense. Its to be expected. If you dont laugh you'll cry! :D

As you say, one FM has to mess it right up though but he wont be around for long hopefully.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arsenal look very good at the moment.

People really need to stop painting the doom and gloom and how arsenal are finished mantra we see every summer. They will always be among those fighting for a top four finish.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our next two games are against the current bottom two, so we need to go into those games looking to win without being complacent, especially after failing to win our last three games. Fortunately Sunderland haven't appointed a permanent manager yet, so hopefully they won't be as up for it as if they had.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,947
    Forum Member
    An important game today, I think, and thanks to last weeks loss to Southampton more important than it should be. It might still be quite early in the season, but I'd really like to avoid being 5 point behind Arsenal this early on.

And who are we up against: a team full of players who will be out to prove they were right to have shafted their previous manager and don't deserve the tut-tutting being said about them; a team led by a former hero who will be firing them up to get off the bottom and out of the bottom three and have a chance, perhaps his only ever chance, at landing a PL job for himself. I expect Sunderland to be right in our faces from the first whistle and we have to match them for energy and intensity. We almost need to approach today like a cup game. Oh, and don't shoot ourselves in the foot by pissing about at the back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Win today and we are right back in with the leaders, lose and all our fun at the expense of other teams yesterday will be for nothing.
    Suarez should be that bit sharper after getting his first competitive match ( for us anyway ) in so long, an early goal could set us up nicely for a good win.

Wednesday was probably our best second half performance so far, we need to build on that and atm Sunderland is as good a place to do that as any.

Oh and of course there is the small matter of a possible league title for us this afternoon, some may say it's 'only' the ladies team but a title is a title !!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully the minority won't spoil it for the majority, as there was a good debate going on between the two sets of fans, which was good to see and also to partake in.

If the mods have anything to do with it that electrical device will have its power switched off for good. ;)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to love the unintended irony of some posts..

I'll be happy with three points today, anything else would be disappointing.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Got to love the unintended irony of some posts..

Overly subtle IMO. You need to be blunt.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool Ladies play Bristol Academy for the 2013 WSL title at 2 pm. Good luck to them :)

(I was going to make a joke about bristols but happily stopped myself)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    'That is all it is really'.

Ha, ha, haaaaa

Is it? , you keep yelling yourself that , i said at the start of the season there will be no top 4 for the Mancs, knew it!

Love it, made my day in the pub today, was sat with a Man city season ticket holder today in the pub (sound bloke), even though they shat out its a still a great day, he was loving it and we both agreed that Moyes is absolute turd, hopefilly he stays on, for years ive (amd him) wanted teams to go at them at the toilet and knew they would get a bit of joy if they did, even Steve Kean knew that!, haha, if yo are a LFC fan you should be loving this, there hasn't been many times we can laugh our tits off at them, enjoy it while you can!!!!!

Seriously Moyes hasn't a clue how to set up a postive team and their squad is absolute crap, hahhaha, loving it!

Our rivalry (uniteds and liverpools) is great but your laughing sfter 6 games? We are still the best team in england and will be above liverpool come may.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool Ladies play Bristol Academy for the 2013 WSL title at 2 pm. Good luck to them :)

(I was going to make a joke about bristols but happily stopped myself)

It will be a good match, and one that could be won by either side, as they are both quality outfits this season.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Most of the Liverpool fans on this board are top guys and are more than welcome in our thread even if its with a bit of cheeky posting at our expense. Its to be expected. If you dont laugh you'll cry! :D

As you say, one FM has to mess it right up though but he wont be around for long hopefully.
    Agreed. I think both threads improve with rival fans offering banter and a different perspective on things.

That FM really overstepped the mark last night, just went far beyond banter and I cringed reading it as a 'Pool fan.
    If the mods have anything to do with it that electrical device will have its power switched off for good. ;)
    Faulty appliance, a known fire hazard. ;)
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Looks like we're lining up as we did against Utd... Really not keen on that. Henderson shouldn't be out at RWB. I think we look so much better with 4 at the back and with Moses out on the side than playing through the middle.
This discussion has been closed.