Options

Laptop blank screen

KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an Asus X550ca laptop i7 with nvidia chip. Someone spilt a bit of water on laptop cover when it was closed over. It couldn't have got into the machine as i wiped it and it was only on the cover. I used it the next day and closed it over. I went to use it later and all i get is a blank screen

i tried an external monitor and nothing comes up. Its still under manufacturer warranty and they are lifting it tomorrow. A computer shop said its likely overheated and fried the graphics chips as i sit on the bed with it.

I've been pretty game heavy on it last three weeks

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one can be certain unless they have the machine in bits in front of them. The fact that an external monitor doesn't work either does suggest it's not something confined to the laptop display screen.

Does it appear to be booting? Can you see any lights on the thing that flash or whatever they normally do? Can you hear the hard drive spinning up (assuming it's not a solid state drive that is :) )

But it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it has fried. The worst place to use a laptop is on your lap! Or sitting on the bed. Your clothes or the bed covering can easily block the vents on the bottom of the laptop or the fan sucks up all sorts of crud which clogs the vents. Ideally you should stand it on a hard surface which keeps the vents clear. For example you can get laptop cushions that have a "tray" on the top that you sit the laptop on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it yesterday and the Asus logo came up clear then white lines started flashing as if the graphics had completely gone. Lights come on when it turns on and the cd drove tries to read when you open it. The caps lock light will not come on but you can hear the fans.

The guy in the shop thought it had overheated and the board had went. He told me to get it fixed under warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried charging via usb and it charges fine. As that's connected to motherboard it must be the graphics chip then? All Led lights come on. I can hear HDD and fans but nothing appears on the screen or ex monitor.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    I tried charging via usb and it charges fine. As that's connected to motherboard it must be the graphics chip then? All Led lights come on. I can hear HDD and fans but nothing appears on the screen or ex monitor.

When you connected an external monitor did you press the Fn and F8 keys? According to the manual I've downloaded from the Asus website that turns the external screen on and off.

I also notice that Fn F7 turns the built in display off. I would be surprised if that survived a re-boot but you never know...