LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    If Dale can get away with assaulting an OAP and receiving a police caution without risking his radio career then I think it's unlikely that DM is in any danger.

lets not even start on the disgusting things that Steve Allen says about people on air.

Agreed Dale assaulting a pensioner was disgusting.

At least David Mellor apologised live on air today and said he was going to make a substantial donation to the cabbies charity.

I wonder did Iain Dale make an on air apology.?
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't put any UKIP supporter who calls up who is "erudite" because it doesn't fit into the perception that the radio stations want to give of them, same with BNP, same actually with people from the SWP.

If you listened to talkSPITE's George Galloway show, the callers were always cleverly chosen so as to not get anywhere near Galloway's intellect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed Dale assaulting a pensioner was disgusting.

At least David Mellor apologised live on air today and said he was going to make a substantial donation to the cabbies charity.

I wonder did Iain Dale make an on air apology.?

Huh, his original blog posting was triumphant about the fact he'd given a pensioner "a good hiding". It was taken down later, but he was utterly unrepentant about it - in my opinion, afterwards. It's obviously how Dale wants to treat the public - like his idols Thatcher and Mitchell, we are all plebs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't put any UKIP supporter who calls up who is "erudite" because it doesn't fit into the perception that the radio stations want to give of them, same with BNP, same actually with people from the SWP.

If you listened to talkSPITE's George Galloway show, the callers were always cleverly chosen so as to not get anywhere near Galloway's intellect.

Galloway had intellect :o he once did an event in the town i live in Harlow Essex i saw right through him right away.

On certain shows on LBC anybody who supports UKIP i in a "erudite fashion" would not get on anyway.

I do not think that stations such as LBC have an agenda though.

Their presenters definitely have however.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Full and unreserved apology from Mellor, and the promise of a substantial donation to the cabbies xmas charity appeal.

Well done David.

What a lovely man. :D
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Ah! That will be the moment I heard my wife shouting, fewer mosques Gobber, fewer mosques.)

Mrs Jefferson appears to share my own bugbear about the use of 'less' instead of 'fewer'. I got the impression that this was the point of her outburst, not the number of mosques in the UK.

She does hate bad grammar but not as much as mosques.
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the despicable mellor yet again blaming muslim faith schools for a route to radicalisation despite no evidence ..

ken last week put him to rights .. this week simon danczuk just went on about lack of opportunity , poverty (all true) but he left mellors vile nonsense unchallenged .
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »

Indeed! :D:D

He did 'rein in' his temper for today, can't help thinking there'll be a next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Dale has proved what he thinks of the general public, or in Tory terms, "plebs" by his actions against the demonstrator when flogging a book.

The political class is all the same.

sadly i think youre correct. ID attack is well worth the viewing even if its just for the 'comedy' aspect.
    tahiti wrote: »
    Actually muslims first arrived in the country in the 18th century, the first mosque in the country was set up in 1889 (when Marks and Spencer was founded) and the first one in London in 1924, so they are a well- established part of British life. Islam being the second biggest religion in the country it is surprising there are not many more.

☆ Talking of Marks and Spencer, Mr Marks was an Eastern European immigrant refugee who spoke no English.

its suggested that brits were trading with muslims even earlier .. around the c. 900 . gold coins of that era have been uncovered here.

it has been suggested king offa might have been a muslim.

Gold imitation dinar of Offa

‘Islamic Coins from Early Medieval England’

1000 Years of Islam in Britain
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Strange how he doesn't give the same emphasis to what Islam and Judaism have to say about the subject, isn't it. We're told Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK, so you'd think Bruiser would include its stance.

If Cristo did that, half his programme would be silence.

Yes indeed. It is a bizarre love triangle in which militant atheists turn a blind eye to the greater modern extremes of other religions in order to join in the popular bashing of all people who just happen to have been christened or baptised. When it happens in this country, I think it has to be seen largely as unpatriotic. Having a dig at British Christianity comes from exactly the same place as declaring on the hour every hour that the British working classes are especially work shy. Of course, such people will claim to love this country and they probably do in their own way of thinking. But basically that often amounts to the fact that rightly it doesn't interfere with people's relationships and it is a capitalist's paradise, both of which could be said of much of Europe and the United States.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    wendy09 wrote: »
    the despicable mellor yet again blaming muslim faith schools for a route to radicalisation despite no evidence ..

ken last week put him to rights .. this week simon danczuk just went on about lack of opportunity , poverty (all true) but he left mellors vile nonsense unchallenged .

Mellor is not all bad, then.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Absolutely right. Mellor often displays an unpleasant side to his character on air. Having read more of the taxi transcript, it's far worse than I originally thought. Mellor's appalling bullying, foul-mouthed pompous tirade should have got him sacked from LBC (if he was still a Minister he'd have had to resign over it). Saying he's sorry just doesn't cut it. More like sorry that he got caught out on this occasion - because I bet it's far from the first time that he's behaved like that.
    I find this an interesting incident because it highlights for me how it is possible to think of individuals in various ways. At root, Mellor is not at all my sort of person. I am not a Tory, I didn't like the Major Government and I cannot stand the "do you know how important I am" sort of arrogance. It would be easy to judge what has happened in the last few days accordingly. But I happen to think that he is quite a good radio broadcaster. That is a trait which is important to me. Add into the mix that he is something of an antidote to Ken Livingstone, a fan of RVW as I am and has issued an apology.......well, all of these things help. It may be that to some extent he is a victim of himself.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

Indeed and so fortunate to have everything - intelligence, personality and looks.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell asleep on the sofa to the sound of NA droning on about UKIP, immigration and the EU.
    I woke up to him going on about UKIP, immigration and the EU.
    I took the dog out and when I came back he was still going on....

He said at one of these points that for some reason listeners reacted ferociously if he just said one little negative thing about UKIP. No it's not that Nick - it's that you devote whole programmes to the theme or just keep going back to it repeatedly like a dog nibbling at a flea.
    As for the silly way he says EU, I think that joke has worn itself out :confused:

I used to so enjoy listening to NA, but lately :( I dipped in several times last night, but unfortunately same old same old, so dipped straight out.
  • thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    ID only recommends those he shares a political ideology . SD is not a man of the people.

looks as if for this week all is nice as pie , because DM knows people will be listening for his gaffes.

expect normal business to resume at 12.01 pm.

I think Dale may have a festering dislike of Mellor rather than an affinity with Danczuk. After all, he has previously blogged that DM is a "failed relic" and "should just disappear into the place where all failed politicians go", and also referred to him as "the Mellorphant" and even used "wan***" to describe him. Not bad for someone who was a multi-failure himself in attempting to become an MP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thewilson wrote: »
    I think Dale may have a festering dislike of Mellor rather than an affinity with Danczuk. After all, he has previously blogged that DM is a "failed relic" and "should just disappear into the place where all failed politicians go", and also referred to him as "the Mellorphant" and even used "wan***" to describe him. Not bad for someone who was a multi-failure himself in attempting to become an MP.

Indeed, his standing in Norfolk was an absolute disaster.

From Wiki:

In May 2005, Dale stood in the general election as Conservative candidate for Norfolk North, losing to the Liberal Democrat incumbent, Norman Lamb; Lamb was elected with a 10,000 plus majority as opposed to 483 at the previous election

The plebs in North Norfolk didn't want Iain Dale, it seems....
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Indeed and so fortunate to have everything - intelligence, personality and looks.

For all his self-proclaimed virtues he doesn't understand a basic rule of English grammar as never a week goes by without his saying "Kenneth and I" when he should be saying "Kenneth and me" .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mellor always liked to put about this "man of the people" persona.
    The sort of "man of the people" who sent his off spring to Charterhouse, obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i didnt know that. must be some serious back story between these two.
    Mellor is not all bad, then.

hmmm
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't put any UKIP supporter who calls up who is "erudite" because it doesn't fit into the perception that the radio stations want to give of them

These people are doing such a great job at disproving those perceptions

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/ukip-mistakes-cathedral-for-a-27686/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes very true the word pot and kettle come to mind.:)

Norman Lamb took the seat in North Norfolk i think Iain Dale came second.

David Mellor has his faults but he and ken Livingsyone are great saturday morning's
    Forum Member
    Steve Allen is going well OTT with his criticism of Gemma Collins. Not because of what she does, but because she's fat. Apparently she should be tethered to the ground and used as a barrage balloon.

This, from a blubbery, sweaty old fatty who has self-inflicted diabetes, angina and high blood pressure and whose idea of a healthy meal is chicken kievs, burgers and doughnuts.

What a complete arse.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Yes very true the word pot and kettle come to mind.:)

Norman Lamb took the seat in North Norfolk i think Iain Dale came second.

David Mellor has his faults but he and ken Livingsyone are great saturday morning's

One of Mellor's faults, major imo, is drowning out his co-presenter preferring the sound of his own voice. Not an attractive trait when as a listener I'd like to hear both sides of a debate. :)
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steve Allen is going well OTT with his criticism of Gemma Collins. Not because of what she does, but because she's fat. Apparently she should be tethered to the ground and used as a barrage balloon.

This, from a blubbery, sweaty old fatty who has self-inflicted diabetes, angina and high blood pressure and whose idea of a healthy meal is chicken kievs, burgers and doughnuts.

What a complete arse.

I switched him off years ago.
    Forum Member
    Ugh, Australian couldn't-care-less courier woman. I hope she's an actor and doesn't really run the business.
This discussion has been closed.