Options

Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    ... and what of those people who bought devices because Google *and* the manufacturers promised they'd be updated... only to find that they were not? (as mentioned in my third link/quote)

And that is my point. Samsung were quite happy to make an announcement about upgrades. I'm sure they did it to help maintain sales. I think it is very misleading.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    They are under no obligation to do so. By buying a device from them you are accepting that fact. The only Android devices that are guaranteed timely updates are Nexus devices. If you choose to buy a different device for whatever reason then you would be doing so with the knowledge that updates are not supported by Google.

That is just the way the Android ecosystem works. Most OEMs are not focused on longevity as the majority of consumers change their device within 1-2 years. Apple is not the same as they only have 5-6 devices to focus on with consumers largely retained within their ecosystem.

By choosing to buy these devices you are accepting that updates are not a promised feature. That is just the nature of the Android ecosystem.

Apple is no better at updating their devices. They exclude features from older but perfectly capable devices in order to give the newer devices a selling point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the other features and get a non nexus device. I find nexus devices too plain. I just want jelly bean and I'll be sorted for the next year or so... I'm not bothered about key lime pie.

Really?

I'd rather have pure Android than a poorly coded and poorly optimised manufacturer skin.

Asus are definitely leading the way in regards to updates. They delivered 4.2 to my TF300 in record time. They also allowed me to select between two launchers (old and new).

I prefer the new 4.2 tablet launcher (as found on the Nexus 10).

Apple fans say iOS is better with regards to updates but they're not. They exclude features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Samsung dont have the best history of updating their software. Lesson Learnt.

They are OK at updating some devices. I think they have their priorities wrong and should take a leaf out of other manufacturer's books.

They didn't update my now one year old Galaxy Tab 10.1 (which I sold) to Jelly Bean even though it had a dual-core Tegra 2 processor and 1GB of RAM. Yet they updated the Samsung Galaxy Mini with an 800MHZ processor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    ... and what of those people who bought devices because Google *and* the manufacturers promised they'd be updated... only to find that they were not? (as mentioned in my third link/quote)

It's up to the user whether or not they trust the manufacturers promises.

Some manufacturer's are better than others.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    You are no more entitled to software updates than you are entitled to a free Samsung or Apple hand-delivered chocolate easter egg.

They don't need to tell you at point of sale what you're not entitled to.
    swordman wrote: »
    Why though? do you think any manufacturer is bound to update your phone including apple?

Because that's what I would expect.

It seems odd to me that in 2013, an electronics device would have new software released, but that software update not be available.

I think there's a big difference between buying a phone, and expecting to the software to be updated and expecting to be able to download and install any software updates that are released.

To be fait, I don't know much about how this works, but if Android update their software, what's the technical reason you can't just do that in the same way you can with ios?

Is it just that the different manufacturers have to make modifications specific to their devices?

With the point of sale thing, that was in reference to Zack saying "By buying a device from them you are accepting that fact". If people are not made aware of that, then I don't see how they are accepting any such thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    To be fait, I don't know much about how this works, but if Android update their software, what's the technical reason you can't just do that in the same way you can with ios?

Is it just that the different manufacturers have to make modifications specific to their devices?

Each manufacturer has to adapt Android (often driver related) to make it run on their hardware.

Updates aren't any better on iOS as I've already said. Apple exclude features from older devices. Also some manufacturers are better than others. Nexus devices also quickly receive updates...
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

It's because is manufactuer tweaks their own version of Android from the base one that Google uses on the Nexus devices. That means you have to reply on the manufactuer for the release and as we have seen not always very quick.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know - a partial update seems better than no update to me.

And I don't think there are that many features that are excluded from capable earlier models.

Could my iPhone 4 support the panorama camera mode for example?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Each manufacturer has to adapt Android (often driver related) to make it run on their hardware.

Updates aren't any better on iOS as I've already said. Apple exclude features from older devices. Also some manufacturers are better than others. Nexus devices also quickly receive updates...

It is silly to say apple are no better. The only manufacturers who can hold their heads high are nexus and apple. The rest are a joke for updates, it shouldn't be taking months for a release.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

I'd rather have pure Android than a poorly coded and poorly optimised manufacturer skin.

Asus are definitely leading the way in regards to updates. They delivered 4.2 to my TF300 in record time. They also allowed me to select between two launchers (old and new).

I prefer the new 4.2 tablet launcher (as found on the Nexus 10).

Apple fans say iOS is better with regards to updates but they're not. They exclude features.

My dad has the first asus transformer (2011) and his device is still stuck on ics he hasn't been updated to Jelly bean. I guess that is beauty of android, that there is choice. I happen to quite like touch wiz, whereas others like yourself may find it bloated and prefer the vanilla android experience. Apple might update their devices quicker but there isn't anything to get excited about in the updates anyway. Things pretty much stay the same. So I'm not that bothered about updates for my iPad or iPod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I don't think there are that many features that are excluded from capable earlier models.

It probably could but Apple intentionally excluded it.
    kidspud wrote: »
    It is silly to say apple are no better. The only manufacturers who can hold their heads high are nexus and apple. The rest are a joke for updates, it shouldn't be taking months for a release.

Not all manufacturers are a joke. Some are better than others granted.

Also, Apple are poor at releasing updates. They exclude features from capable devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not all manufacturers are a joke. Some are better than others granted.

Also, Apple are poor at releasing updates. They exclude features from capable devices.

What is the quickest a non nexus phone has been updated. How long did it take the S3 to get updated from ics to JB from the date JB was released.

Agreed, apple exclude functions to maintain performance, samsung and others don't seem to worry about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, apple exclude functions to maintain performance, samsung and others don't seem to worry about that.

That's what Apple want you to think :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what Apple want you to think :rolleyes:

Well I can speculate as much as you. Do you have a link that provides a qualified reason then?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vanilla Android is like the open source code, but then the manufacturer has to integrate their own changes back into it. Considering how integral a lot of these features manufacturers add, it can take a while to fix integration bugs and any performance issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the features end up coming though on Android instead of 10% of the new ones.
    Siri was entirely possible on iPhone 4. That was a massive feature intentionally left out.
    Probably not but every other software only feature it could.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

This conspiracy theory much loved by the anti Apple brigade just doesn't hold water. Apple really do withhold features purely because in their opinion the feature might get bad press if run on sub optimal hardware. As an example look at the Mac. There are features of Mac OS X withheld from earlier hardware, and this is usually for a very obvious and genuine hardware related reason. I see no sign of artificially restricted features to encourage the sale of newer Macs.

However, let's get this in perspective. The iPhone 4S is now going on 18 months old. Someone name me a significant list of software features withheld from it in the latest IOS to encourage the sale of iPhone 5s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can speculate as much as you. Do you have a link that provides a qualified reason then?

Siri was an App on iOS before Apple exluded it from the AppStore and Apple ripped it off including the icon. This happened to run on iphone 4.

Why would Siri not work on iPhone 4 btw? Its all server based processing anyway. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running all the latest sofware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the features end up coming though on Android instead of 10% of the new ones.

Except when they stop supporting completely like they have with the nexus s, a phone which I think is 6 months newer than the iPhone 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would Siri not work on iPhone 4 btw? Its all server based processing anyway.

How about the fact that the microphone was improved on the 4S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are no features going to ever get dropped now then since mobile phones aren't really coming with much more processing power any more?
    tdenson wrote: »
    How about the fact that the microphone was improved on the 4S.

How about the fact that Siri was on the jailbreak store which worked as well on an iPhone 4?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siri was an App on iOS before Apple exluded it from the AppStore and Apple ripped it off including the icon. This happened to run on iphone 4.

Why would Siri not work on iPhone 4 btw? Its all server based processing anyway. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running all the latest sofware.

They didn't rip it off, they bought the company:confused:

As I understand it, the app was not the same as that released in the os. There was a thread on it here a while ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Pleas point me to the 90% of features that run on the iPhone 5 which do not run on the 4S, I would like to be using them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are no features going to ever get dropped now then since mobile phones aren't really coming with much more processing power any more?

How about the fact that Siri was on the jailbreak store which worked as well on an iPhone 4?

And did it effect the performance of the phone?