Options

Attacks in Nairobi

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thought it a little strange that there have been no threads on the attacks in Nairobi, Kenya either here or in the politics forum? Is this subconscious racism on our part? Do we not care, or do we simply care less, as we perceive that their world is less like ours, than say, Boston or London?

Comments

• Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *waits for the M word*

*waits for the I word*
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I care, I care that people in the name of 'their' religion are filled with 'hate' and slaughter people in their religions name.

I care deeply.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    We've probably become used to Islamic nut jobs popping up every few months to show how the religion of peace helps them with their handy work. In this instance, shoot people dead who can't recite a prayer, including women and children. It's a shame this foul faith can't be wiped from the face of the earth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    *waits for the M word*

*waits for the I word*

What are these words you are waiting for?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I just find it interesting that if this attack were in Boston, Washington or London at least one thread would have been started on it hours ago and would now be pages long. As it is, this being in Africa, we just have this sorry little thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    What are these words you are waiting for?

I'm sure you can work it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Hmmm, I just find it interesting that if this attack were in Boston, Washington or London at least one thread would have been started on it hours ago and would now be pages long. As it is, this being in Africa, we just have this sorry little thread.

Maybe it means those on here who usually go at length about stories like this do only care when it happens in the West?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    was anyone else surprised at how diverse the crowd was - black, white, Asian.............

I always think of the big sub-Saharan African cities as being almost 100% black, I didn't know there were big communities of other peoples there
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Information is still very scarce on this attack

swingaleg wrote: »
    was anyone else surprised at how diverse the crowd was - black, white, Asian.............

I always think of the big sub-Saharan African cities as being almost 100% black, I didn't know there were big communities of other peoples there

This particular shopping mall is apparently quite expensive and only frequented by foreigner visitors, diplomats and UN workers (and undoubtedly why it was targeted in the first place)
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    The news coverage has been good in the coverage, although you are probably correct in your analysis that if it had been another 'closer' country there would be lengthy thread by now.

A confirmed terror attack and sadly one that had been feared since Mumbai in 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems a sad world at the moment, as to what the answer is I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is in the country and had been going to that mall for the last week or so until leaving Nairobi last night. Very worrying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you can work it out.

Why not type the words?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of Nairobi TV streams

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktn/live
    http://www.ntv.co.ke/live/

The police tweeted that they had the attackers cornered in a room, but didn't know if they had any hostages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Why not type the words?

Oh, just so I can call it if/when they get said.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenya is not at all a safe place, has been very riddled with crime for many years. Houses are behind huge compounds with high walls and wire. A Kenyan friend of mine who had a farm growing beans on an international scale was attacked by 3 guys with machettes, his injuries were indescribable. I saw him when he came to the UK for reconstructive surgery.. None of the attackers had anything to do with muslims nor Islam.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I think people are just tired of the whole 'Islam followers go on the rampage' again. What's there to say that hasn't been said a hundred times already?

No mention of this story either:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24190728

But it too has become sadly all too familiar.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Kenya is not at all a safe place, has been very riddled with crime for many years. Houses are behind huge compounds with high walls and wire. A Kenyan friend of mine who had a farm growing beans on an international scale was attacked by 3 guys with machettes, his injuries were indescribable. I saw him when he came to the UK for reconstructive surgery.. None of the attackers had anything to do with muslims nor Islam.

I feel bad for your friend but that is unrelated to do with this story which WAS carried out by Islamic militants.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *waits for the M word*

*waits for the I word*

You were correct, it was the usual suspects. Congratulations. :)
    Al-Shabab, which has links to al-Qaeda, said the attack was in response to Kenya's presence in Somalia.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two sentences. Where I said I'm waiting for two words.

Do you know the verb 'to wait'? Does waiting give someone moderator abilities? Does waiting mean making demands or expectations on others?

Come on, be reasonable, please.

Muslims. Islamists. They did it. What is the point you are trying to make? :confused:
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Muslims. Islamists. They did it. What is the point you are trying to make? :confused:

I think it's that FM's attempt to pre-empt any criticism of the religion of peace.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two sentences. Where I said I'm waiting for two words.

Do you know the verb 'to wait'? Does waiting give someone moderator abilities? Does waiting mean making demands or expectations on others?

Come on, be reasonable, please.

Well saying...

*waits for the M word*

*waits for the I word*

...comes across to me as a sly dig towards anyone wanting to discuss who the group are and what they stand for. Maybe you didn't mean it that way of course, but that's how it seems.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I feel bad for your friend but that is unrelated to do with this story which WAS carried out by Islamic militants.

I realise that, but generally the crime in Nairobi, until now has been carried out by dissatisfied black workers. and criminals in general. This is rather new to Kenya. I have been out this evening and just catching up.
  • Options
    Pint of crispsPint of crisps Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I think it's that FM's attempt to pre-empt any criticism of the religion of peace.

It's absolutely not a religion of peace, and this veil of "OH SHIT YOU'RE A RACIST" that comes out of the left wing militia's mouth at the first hint of critcism is detrimental to the progression of humanity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone teach us the prayer they made the survivors recite if we get caught in a similar situation?

It's probably not going to be uncommon seeing how things are going in this country.