Options

Accurate recording

Comments

• Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    PhilipL wrote: »

It does, it's in the Freeview Playback spec. The Humax quite likely (I've never checked it) is not showing the Now and Next data but data from the EPG when you press info, probably because the actual EIT p/f data is being used for accurate recording and is diverted elsewhere, but my TV uses the EIT p/f (Now and Next data) and I see it change at the exact moments the Humax starts or stops recording. You need to view the Now/Next data from your TV or another box that derives the Now/Next program from the EIT p/f data stream and not the EPG.

There's nothing odd going on here or some magical data stream, the Humax works perfectly well with the EIT p/f data and all the failures or oddity in start/end times is simply because the TV companies are not accurately sending the data, and most never will.

Regards

Phil
    jxp wrote: »
    A few conclusions;

1. Accurate recording is working (dependant on the broadcast data)
    2. Late programmes start recording at the scheduled time but the recording over-runs
    3. The Hummy seems to display Now/Next from EPG data, not the separate Now/Next info used for accurate recording.
    4. Some people are happy with accurate recording others prefer padding. (Let's not start a civil war ;) )

The only thing I've yet to see is what happens with an early programme.

Ah that explains why it stops "when the next event replaces that being recorded".
    It only partially explains why recording commences "on time" whilst the programme may be early or late.

One thing that impresses me is that the EPG info is retained for all programmes in a recording. Watch it change (at the EPG specified time) as the recording is replayed.
  • Options
    PhilipLPhilipL Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    The only thing I've yet to see is what happens with an early programme.

Providing it is only early by around 10 minutes the Humax is already on listening to the Now/Next data. If the TV channel adjusts it's 'now and next' data to switch early to match the early start, it will start recording.

The Humax is working perfectly fine with accurate recording as long as you set from the EPG and not from a Search list due to the bug. Whatever happens regarding the actual recording start/end times is down to the broadcaster and the TV region you are in.

All that people are testing now is the willingness (or not) of the TV companies to supply the correct data. PDC was never reliable and I see no reason why the TV companies will be any different with the data for Now and Next.

Even if the BBC and perhaps ITV1 support it and always get it right, what are we to do with other channels that will likely never have accurate Now/Next data? Remember with the Humax and it's mutually exclusive system of padding OR accurate recording, you can't do both which is a big oversight in my opinion.

Regards

Phil
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I have just had an autotraking failure on BBC1, looks like it’s the Humax at fault, not BBC1

I set the following to record using the EPG

Doctor Who BBC1, 19:05 to 19:55
    Doctor Who Confidential BBC3, 19:55 to 20:40

Jekle BBC1, 21:00 to 21:55

I watched Doctor Who and Jekle live on the humax (no chase play or anything).

Doctor Who started dead on time = 19:05 and overran.
    The Humax stopped recording Doctor Who at 19:55 (lost the end due to overrun).
    The BBC3 program started late, but the humax started recording on time, it stopped recording when the next program on BBC3 was about to start (it extended the recording time).

Jekle started late and ended late, the humax recorded from 21:00 and ended when the next program on BBC1 was about to start.

The fact that I was watching Doctor Who live on the Humax might have caused the problem, but I think more tests are needed.

I seem to have proved that BBC1 was transmitting a signal at the start of every program for autotracking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Did you set these directly from the EPG or from a Search?

When set did they have "link" icon?

Regards

Phil
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I have just upgraded my firmware to v15 and I can't find anywhere in the menu to enable the Accurate Recording feature. Is it always on if you use the EPG to schedule a recording?
    Sorry if this has been asked before - I did a search and found nothing
    Robin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Hi

Did you set these directly from the EPG or from a Search?

When set did they have "link" icon?

Regards

Phil

I always use the EPG, I no about the Search / Find system not using the autotracking icon.

My last post was written last night, I have read everyones elses posts since.
  • Options
    asjonesukasjonesuk Posts: 8,954
    Forum Member
    See the last I heard was that the AR Icon not appearing when doing a reservation from Search didn't necessarily mean that the AR was not active and could have just been a GUI issue - no-one has ever said to me that the missing AR icon meant that AR was most deffinately not active!
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand about the AR icon and the documentation is rather sparse.

What if I have a load of reservations set up and then change the auto-padding to 'on time' - does this mean that all the existing reservations will use AR?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    What if I have a load of reservations set up and then change the auto-padding to 'on time' - does this mean that all the existing reservations will use AR?

No, you will need to delete them and then select them again from the EPG, don't use the Blue Find option to select reservations as a bug means you don't get accurate recording then.

When accurate recording is on a reservation you will see a chain icon next to it.

It only works on a few channels (even then hit and miss) so you while you will get a recording, it's isn't guaranteed to be accurate, i.e. you may miss the beginning or end.

Regards

Phil
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    spoon261 wrote: »
    Doctor Who BBC1, 19:05 to 19:55
    Doctor Who Confidential BBC3, 19:55 to 20:40

In this case you would of been better off using Auto padding with a manual add of 1 min to end of DW.
    This is something that does happen with auto padding if you do not add that minute either to the end of the first or begining of the second as it will try to use only 1 tuner resulting in missing the end of the first recording.
    The only way around it is to force the use of both tuners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive just had a look at my recording of last nights Doctor Who.
    And i think I know why spoon261 your recording didnt get the end.
    I pressed the info button to see what it said and found that just as the Masters ring gets picked up the info changed to National Lottery Draws.
    Which to me says that the EPG is not it time with the running of progs.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you will need to delete them and then select them again from the EPG, don't use the Blue Find option to select reservations as a bug means you don't get accurate recording then.

When accurate recording is on a reservation you will see a chain icon next to it.
    So what determines whether you get a chain icon?

I thought that setting the auto-padding to "on time" meant that all (future) reservations are AR?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin2 wrote: »
    I have just upgraded my firmware to v15 and I can't find anywhere in the menu to enable the Accurate Recording feature. Is it always on if you use the EPG to schedule a recording?
    Sorry if this has been asked before - I did a search and found nothing
    Robin
    Robin, select Menu, then Record, then at the bottom of the list, you should see the following,

Recording Start time..............................................ON TIME

Recording End Time...............................................ON TIME

This is how it has to be set to enable Accurate recordings.

Then go into the EPG and set your recordings. Do not edit them or set up daily or weekly in the schedule menu. When you now set a recording from the EPG, there will be a new icon, looks like a purple paper clip to the right hand side of the programme title.

GG:D :):D
  • Options
    PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin, select Menu, then Record, then at the bottom of the list, you should see the following,

Recording Start time..............................................ON TIME

Recording End Time...............................................ON TIME

This is how it has to be set to enable Accurate recordings.

Then go into the EPG and set your recordings. Do not edit them or set up daily or weekly in the schedule menu. When you now set a recording from the EPG, there will be a new icon, looks like a purple paper clip to the right hand side of the programme title.

GG:D :):D

That's curious. Does that mean you can set the start to not use AR, but include start padding, and still have AR control the recording end? (IANAHU :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PTD wrote: »
    That's curious. Does that mean you can set the start to not use AR, but include start padding, and still have AR control the recording end? (IANAHU :) )

No they both need to be on time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    There is still no one who can confirm if AR works while playing back a recorded program.

eg. Set a program to record from 8pm to 8.30pm using AR and watch a recorded program from 7.45pm to 8.45pm. Does AR kick in? If AR uses Now/Next info, the EPG doesn't get updated while watching a recorded program.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    well both now and next and EPG aren't coping with the Diana Concert overunning it seems
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just set "Look North" regional news to record using AR on one upgraded 9200T

I have a second upgraded machine upstairs which I will set using the search facility.

Report back in the morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When are people going to understand that until the broadcasters keep the EPG/Now & Next info inline with the programs that are actually on screen then AR will not work.
  • Options
    wilf21wilf21 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Good experience of AR last night. Set to record "Seven ages of rock" from 2305 to 0035 on BBC1. The programme started 30 mins late and the recording started, correctly, at 2335 and ended 0105. The whole programme was recorded. Excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    wilf21 wrote: »
    Good experience of AR last night. Set to record "Seven ages of rock" from 2305 to 0035 on BBC1. The programme started 30 mins late and the recording started, correctly, at 2335 and ended 0105. The whole programme was recorded. Excellent.

So why was it not done right for the Diana concert, a massive event!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    neilleeds wrote: »
    So why was it not done right for the Diana concert, a massive event!

It took the BBC about 10 minutes to update the 'Now & Next' info to cover the overrun. This basically shows the 'accurate' recording system up for what it is - 'inaccurate'!

It seems that the BBC can't perfectly sync their program output with the 'Now & Next' info which means this feature is never going to be very useful.

Think I'll stick with version 10 of the firmware...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Had the same for Dr Who from Hannignton
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    wilf21 wrote: »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will check my recording tonight and set for the repeat if it has failed.
    (I'm using padding)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just set "Look North" regional news to record using AR on one upgraded 9200T

I have a second upgraded machine upstairs which I will set using the search facility.

Report back in the morning.

Both instances recorded identically.

Set a further test before I went to bed. Recorded the repeat of Dr Who Confidential at about 2:35am on both machines one set via EPG, one set using the search facility and put them in standby. 9200T set via EPG recorded 6 seconds more (still missed the start). Have not checked if they finished at the same point.