Options

What Age Did You Find Out Santa Claus, Boogeyman, Jesus, and Toothfairy Aren't Real?

Comments

• Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nevermind
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why do some people have to disagree in a way that is deliberately rude, dismissive and provocative? Of course no one 'owns' a religion, but for some people their religion is central to their lives and very important to them. Making derisory remarks, laughing at them and deriding their beliefs comes across as intolerant and bigotted.

That's because they are intolerant and bigotted though you will never get them to recognize it, in fact they will spend 30 pages going round the houses explaining to you why their specific form of bigotry is more acceptable / logical / rational / justified than all the other forms of bigotry that Humanity does so well.

You could predict how this thread would turn out before we passed the first page.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    the op and ishina should hook up, sounds like a match made in heaven.

Made somewhere;but I doubt it was heaven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because they are intolerant and bigotted though you will never get them to recognize it, in fact they will spend 30 pages going round the houses explaining to you why their specific form of bigotry is more acceptable / logical / rational / justified than all the other forms of bigotry that Humanity does so well.

You could predict how this thread would turn out before we passed the first page.
    It seems like it would be so much easier to just call people who disagree with me intolerant and bigoted. It's like a get out of owning your sh*t free card.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

True. I think I will avoid religious threads in future. They're either deliberately goady or just provide a platform for the airing of small minded intolerance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ishina wrote: »
    Because that's what a free exchange of ideas sometimes looks like. Sometimes you find your deeply held beliefs are not as deeply held by other people, and that they don't like those deeply held beliefs. But the great thing is, you can disengage any time you like. You are an adult, with full mental faculties and full control over what you do on the internet in your leisure time.

Understand that this discussion is entirely voluntary. Non-believers are not knocking on people's doors or invading people's personal space to mock religion, and it is usually a responsive position when someone religious said or did something stupid, or counterfactual, or discriminatory, or abusive, or even violent. Vocal derision of religion never goes beyond internet arguments and dinner table rants. Can you say the same about vocal religion?

I'm sure any physical attack on religion or religious people started off with" vocal derision".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True. I think I will avoid religious threads in future. They're either deliberately goady or just provide a platform for the airing of small minded intolerance.

You've only Just realised?it's well known on here.
  • Options
    _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    That's the Old Testament you're thinking of. The New Testament has a gentler quality and philosophy-courtesy of Christ.
    This really irritates me. You simply cannot pick and choose which bits of the bible you believe in. That's a get out of free jail card!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like it would be so much easier to just call people who disagree with me intolerant and bigoted. It's like a get out of owning your sh*t free card.

The bigotry isn't in the disagreement, It's in the sneering, The incessant baiting, the negative stereotyping of billions of faceless people and the endless repetition of a self appointed sense of intellectual and moral superiority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you find that henpecking people's post and lecturing about tone normally goes down better in non-religious threads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bigotry isn't in the disagreement, It's in the sneering, The incessant baiting, the negative stereotyping of billions of faceless people and the endless repetition of a self apponted sense of intellectual and moral superiority.
    Stop doing it then.
  • Options
    Time EraserTime Eraser Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I don't respect fanatical conspiracy theorists, I don't respect people who believe in fairies, and I don't respect people who believe in a god that cuckolds a man.

My right.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the Old Testament you're thinking of. The New Testament has a gentler quality and philosophy-courtesy of Christ.

Matthew 5:17
    Jesus explains to his congregation:
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No need to go that far after all this wasn't a religious thread. There is a clue in the title that should have helped you avoid it

Seems to me that several people took offence simply at the idea that other people did not share their beliefs then tried to hijack the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop doing it then.

Whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you find that henpecking people's post and lecturing about tone normally goes down better in non-religious threads?

No, do you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The bigotry isn't in the disagreement, It's in the sneering, The incessant baiting, the negative stereotyping of billions of faceless people and the endless repetition of a self apponted sense of intellectual and moral superiority.

Well said. I'm not partaking in this thread any longer, but will depart it by saying the above sums up exactly what I've been trying to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Matthew 5:17
    Jesus explains to his congregation:
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Jesus is pretty cool with the fact that most people will go to hell; cos he's well gentle n stuff...

Matthew

7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well said. I'm not partaking in this thread any longer, but will depart it by saying the above sums up exactly what I've been trying to say.
    Whoop whoop! One:Nil to the Sceptics! Skeptics! Which ever spelling you like...

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _kitty wrote: »
    Whoop whoop! One:Nil to the Sceptics! Skeptics! Which ever spelling you like...

:D

Says it all really...
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

When you next post have a look at the Posting tips and read the community guidelines

it says at the top

- Please treat other users with respect.

Describing someone's religion as a fantasy is offensive, bigoted and ignorant. Now if you want to discuss the nature of religion, fine - even the Catholic Church has been responsible for some pretty heinous things in it's past (including starting the odd war). If you want to question aspects of religion fine.

But to describe a person's deeply held beliefs as a fantasy is just offensive.

The question as posed in the OP describes a real historical figure, for which there is copious amounts of secular evidence - even by people who were not even Christian and actively disliked Christians. So he existed, was not a fantasy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Says it all really...

Come on, why so serious?

Your fellow apologists have bowed out disgracefully so I celebrated.

No one has explained the two passages either...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's astonishing that you are not even aware of your own condescension and sneering.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    I'm sure any physical attack on religion or religious people started off with" vocal derision".

some religious hate it when you that you do not beleave in god,my headmaster went mad at me when I told him I do not be leave he shouted and me and went red face,he said how dare you say that it is very offensive to say that,say sorry now or no break time for you,

I did not say sorry ,why should I say sorry just because I said I do not be leave in god.who did he think he is anyway ,he's was just a big bully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whatever.

Says it all really
This discussion has been closed.