BBC and Sky to air DEC appeal for Gaza

What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this a sign that bring anti-Palestinian is slowly becoming less the default establishment position or just to avoid more criticism of their bias?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28686516
The DEC appeal will also be shown on ITV, Channel 4, Channel Five and Sky.

The BBC and Sky chose not to broadcast a previous DEC Gaza appeal in 2009.

The BBC's decision prompted angry protests and 40,000 complaints.

At the time, the BBC said it did not show the appeal "because of question marks about the delivery of aid in a volatile situation and also to avoid any risk of compromising public confidence in the BBC's impartiality".

Comments

• MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people donate they should remember how Hamas terrorists stole the aid last time
    The UN agency for Palestinian refugees said today it has halted all aid shipments into the Gaza Strip after the Hamas government seized thousands of tonnes of food and other provisions.
    The UN Relief and Works agency said it made the decision after Hamas personnel intercepted an aid shipment for the second time this week.
    Earlier this week, Hamas police took away thousands of blankets and food parcels meant for needy residents.
    The UN said the suspension would remain in effect until the aid is returned and the agency receives credible assurances from the Hamas government that such thefts will end.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/feb/06/gaza-un-aid-hamas
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    Before people donate they should remember how Hamas terrorists stole the aid last time

Please donate as much as you can as they need better and more sophisticated rockets.:D
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because Oxfam and the British Red Cross are going to use the money to buy bombs...

Some people have no compassion but on the plus side they only expose the hatred and contempt the Palestinians face on a daily basis. And let's face it that kind of people were never going to give a toss about the helpless anyway and would prefer to sneer at them.
    Hundreds of thousands of people have fled their homes and are in desperate need of food, water, shelter and medical care. Up to 485,000 people urgently need food aid; 1.5 million people have no or very limited access to water or sanitation; and over 65,000 people are now homeless after their homes were severely damaged or destroyed.

The health system in Gaza is on the verge of collapse, with 24 health facilities damaged and acute shortages of medicines and medical supplies.

Services in Gaza were severely stretched before the conflict, and 80% of the population depended on UN food aid. There is now massive unmet humanitarian need in Gaza which can only be met with substantial international assistance.
    The DEC brings 13 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: Action Aid, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To donate £5 send a text saying support to 70000
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've already done this I assume?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to this

http://www.dec.org.uk/how-to-help/how-to-pay

the word to text is DONATE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've already done this I assume?

Of course
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes to donations such as this I would only want to donate if it was guaranteed any aid would be dealt with by a reputable charity on the ground direct to those in need , too much aid gets swiped by people in power / rebels etc and never gets to who we intend it for.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course

Well I haven't and I don't particularly intend to as I don't trust these appeals.

Feel free to take the moral high ground if you wish.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    qatar who back hamas is oil rich and they could give billions ....so why the need for asking cash strapped brits to donate. i wont be giving a penny
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually gave money last time when I probably wouldn't have otherwise because of the BBC's ban.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    qatar who back hamas is oil rich and they could give billions ....so why the need for asking cash strapped brits to donate. i wont be giving a penny

Cash strapped Britain is pretending to review 8bn in arms and arms related product sales to Israel so makes a handsome profit of the Palestinian deaths.

Our government has said it has no plans to investigate whether British made weapons were deployed in Gaza.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be boycotting this appeal, Can't stand this type of thing.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I actually gave money last time when I probably wouldn't have otherwise because of the BBC's ban.
    The irony is the BBC didn't broadcast the appeal last time because they knew there was a good chance the money would be stolen by the terrorists. So your protest donation probably ended up helping the wrong people.

(Apparently the aid agencies have been able to assure everyone there are better safeguards in place this time, which is why the BBC has agreed to broadcast the appeal.)