Where did the "Inspector" come from in George Gently....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe I have missed something but when did George Gently become "Inspector" George Gently, did I miss something or could we the viewers not tell that Martin Shaw was an Inspector (maybe we thought he was Bodie or the Judge) .......

Comments

• scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched this before but his accent is annoying me. Not sure what it's supposed to be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    There were over 50 novels featuring Gently over 40-odd years that were all set in East Anglia.

Wonder why the BBC have transplanted it to Northumbria...
  • BucksmanBucksman Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I had been very stupid to have not noticed it in the past. Thank God for that
  • dmwatdmwat Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they added it so people would realise it was police drama.
    scotch wrote: »
    I haven't watched this before but his accent is annoying me. Not sure what it's supposed to be
    It's how Martin Shaw always sounds isn't it? Sounds the same as in Judge John Deed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmwat wrote: »
    Maybe they added it so people would realise it was police drama.

It's how Martin Shaw always sounds isn't it? Sounds the same as in Judge John Deed.

Ive only seen him as Bodie :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone what the Dusty Springfield song used at the beginning of today's episode was? It was definitely her, and I consider myself a fan, but I didn't recognise it.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Poplar wrote: »
    Does anyone what the Dusty Springfield song used at the beginning of today's episode was? It was definitely her, and I consider myself a fan, but I didn't recognise it.

Summer is Over:(

(Hope not)
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bucksman wrote: »
    I thought I had been very stupid to have not noticed it in the past. Thank God for that

Me too!

So they just wapped it on there :confused:
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's meant to be a London/ cockney accent:D
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's how Martin Shaw normally speaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »

Oh that's what it was :D
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Poplar wrote: »

'Summer Is Over' which was the 'b' side of 'Losing You'.

It's on this great collection. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-As-Bs-Dusty-Springfield/dp/B000GIXDZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241387526&sr=1-8
  • Durham ViperDurham Viper Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive only seen him as Bodie :D

I'd get your eyes checked, because Lewis Collins played Bodie. Martin Shaw was Ray Doyle. :D
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were over 50 novels featuring Gently over 40-odd years that were all set in East Anglia.

Wonder why the BBC have transplanted it to Northumbria...

and then filmed it all in Dublin:confused:..were there tax breaks or something?
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »

The accent was so poor it was really distracting. I think the accent was to denote he was a man of the people rather than 'posh' - MS usually sounds a lot posher. But it was so bad that half the time he sounded South African:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get your eyes checked, because Lewis Collins played Bodie. Martin Shaw was Ray Doyle. :D

pmsl- that's why he seemed so different :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    'Summer Is Over' which was the 'b' side of 'Losing You'.

It's on this great collection. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-As-Bs-Dusty-Springfield/dp/B000GIXDZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241387526&sr=1-8

Thanks very much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We only live a couple of miles from Martin Shaw in Norfolk and my hubby often sees hm in the local Ridgeons and last week my dad was talking to him in a health food shop! Apparently they say he's a very friendly gentle chap with lovely manners.