Options

BT infinity fibre optic being installed on Tuesday

C8XYC8XY Posts: 844
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, signed up to BTs fibre service which is being installed next week. I've been quoted 19.5mb down and 7.7mb up from a line test performed whilst I was on the phone.
Has anyone had any experience with this new service yet? So far the customer service has been excellent, absolutely no waiting time to get through to clear and helpful staff.

Apparently they have to change the master socket and instal two pieces of equipment, a router and a home hub.
No phone service for up to 30 minutes whilst they change connections in the cabinet.

Can't wait to leave my 4meg behind :)

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIK, Openreach will come and change the faceplate on the master socket for one with an inbuilt VDSL filter.
    You should notice a nice improvement from your 4Mb:).
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much is this going to cost you per month and what do you gret for you monthly fee.
    I the now im still on up to 8mb speeds and get a steady 3.2mb speed but it can once in a while drop to 2.4mb/2.5mb in the evenings between 7pm-10pm or to just after 10pm.
    Im also using one of them BT I Plates as they used to be called on my mester socket.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's £24.99 a month with unlimited usuage, free installation and equipment with an 18 month contract.
    Any ideas why there will need to be two pieces of equipment? Surely I just need the router? Not sure what the home hub is used for?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought with fibre optic, the speeds would have been dead on what was being advertised? Either that, or very close to.
  • Options
    JonoJono Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Two pieces of equipment are an VDSL2 modem and a Home Hub router. VDSL2 modem is from BT Openreach and the Home Hub is from BT Retail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I thought with fibre optic, the speeds would have been dead on what was being advertised? Either that, or very close to.

BT is fibre to the cabinet, not your home.

Thanks for explaining jono
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C8XY wrote: »

The Home Hub has 'Fibre' written on it and has a WAN port rather than an RJ11 port, because the telephone line feeds into the Openreach VDSL modem and then has an ethernet cable connecting that to the Home Hub.
    Openreach are looking at incorporating the modem into the master socket in the future, but seeing as it's a relatively new product, it will be installed with the two pieces of equipment for the time being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BT are doing both in certain areas.

FTTC (Fibre to the Cab)
    FTTP (Fibre to the premises)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT are doing both in certain areas.

FTTC (Fibre to the Cab)
    FTTP (Fibre to the premises)

Really? Is the FTTP by request only?
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh* ...fourth largest city in the England and we aren't even on the list of roll-out scheduled as far as I can see.

Guess I'll have to stick with my crappy 3meg max connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is being trialled in Ebbsfleet in kent, see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7448704.stm

So not available nationally yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy said it's only rolled out to 2% of the country so far, I was asking about traffic management and until there is more load, there shouldnt be too much restriction during peak times :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is being trialled in Ebbsfleet in kent, see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7448704.stm

So not available nationally yet.
    Theoretically FTTC will make it easier to complete a full FTTH rollout when the demand is there, although the network would be different in comparison to Ebbsfleet if fed from the cabs, but would still operate on the same principle.

Openreach are looking at rolling FTTH out to new build brownfield sites because the costs are similar to installing copper, so they may as well go for a future proof product to save on on going costs in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy said it's only rolled out to 2% of the country so far, I was asking about traffic management and until there is more load, there shouldnt be too much restriction during peak times :)

Surely BT's FTTC/FTTH is using the same backhaul as their ADSL products?

If that's the case, then only the connection between your house and the exchange has improved and any network congestion will affect you just as much as any ADSL customer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    Surely BT's FTTC/FTTH is using the same backhaul as their ADSL products?

If that's the case, then only the connection between your house and the exchange has improved and any network congestion will affect you just as much as any ADSL customer.

According to the guy that signed me up, the two systems are completely independent, they dont affect each other. I dont know how much info these people actually know, but he was adamant that standard BT traffic did not affect the fibre network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I do realise that it's Fibre To The Cabinet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yes, I do realise that it's Fibre To The Cabinet.

sorry, sounded like you didnt know as you would expect some loss through copper from the cab
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, sounded like you didnt know as you would expect some loss through copper from the cab

I do realise there'd be some loss from the copper line to the cabinet, but just meant that it shouldn't be much, though.
  • Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £25/month PLUS the £12/month for the line rental,

£37/month for unlimited when we all know what 'unlimited' really means seems quite expensive.

Especially if the faster speeds don't actually make that much difference.

Still waiting for the day when I can get rid of the damn line rental, :D as I make no calls at all and only have the land line for the BB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    £25/month PLUS the £12/month for the line rental,

£37/month for unlimited when we all know what 'unlimited' really means seems quite expensive.

Especially if the faster speeds don't actually make that much difference.

Still waiting for the day when I can get rid of the damn line rental, :D as I make no calls at all and only have the land line for the BB.
    Openreach are looking at offering such a product, although I would expect the cost of the FTTC product to increase slightly - a 'broadband line rental' if you will.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    *sigh* ...fourth largest city in the England and we aren't even on the list of roll-out scheduled as far as I can see.

Guess I'll have to stick with my crappy 3meg max connection.

LOL well you are well within the Govenment recommended speeds of 2Mbps by 2012!
  • Options
    rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are supposed to get Infinity in April and when i enquired what speed i could expect they quoted me 18 Mb, I guess this is because i am about half a mile from the nearest BT cabinet and that last bit is over the old copper wires,

I am still thinking about it as it will be faster than the 4 Mb i am getting at the moment.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the new high speed Home Hub work with the BT Hub 2.1 phones.
    Im still on the up to 8mb speeds for when I asked about the up to 20mb speeds. I was told I would not get much more then the 3.2mb im getting the now 97% of the time.
    End of the year my exchange is ment6 to be upgraded to BT infinity. Not sure what speeds I would get with BT infinity but I dont think i will get near the 40mb speed.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member

Wow!
    Not bad at all...