Is it embarassing to work in McDonalds?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
Forum Member
✭✭
I seem to find that this particular job is one that is often used when trying to insult people...

It might be different if you were between 16-18 i guess, but from what i see most adults see working in mcdonalds as being the worst of the worst.

Is working in mcdonalds an embarassing job? would u be proud to admit it if you worked in McDonalds?

Comments

• SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A job is better then no job, I would ignore snobbery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Human123 wrote: »
    I seem to find that this particular job is one that is often used when trying to insult people...

It might be different if you were between 16-18 i guess, but from what i see most adults see working in mcdonalds as being the worst of the worst.

Is working in mcdonalds an embarassing job? would u be proud to admit it if you worked in McDonalds?

Do you work there?
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a job's a job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    As long as it paid the bills I wouldn't give a flying fig what anyone else thought.

And free food :)
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're embarrassed about it just do what I do and randomly claim you're an artist or something. Sounds exciting.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A job is a job. I've done worse. Unless you count cleaning toilets and picking up dog crap your dream job. :p
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who laugh at someone who have a specific type of job are stupid. Especially if the person has no job themselves. At the end of the day, having a job, you are earning money and the other person isn't... you should not feel ashamed.
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Sharon Osbourne using it as an insult to an auditionee on the X factor.

Went right off her then; snobby cow.

In her defence, she was provoked, but even so!
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I respect someone who could bare to do that job. I'd be so depressed, just could not stand it. I'd rather clean toilets to be honest. At least you get some peace.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Those guys work hard, they haven't got room to breath - total respect to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Nothing embarrassing about paying your own way in life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I'm very proud to of worked in McD's, it made me the person I am now. Yes I was pt 16/17 but I only left as needed to go full time job and they couldn't offer me full time hours every week. Only once a guy from college came in and laughed at me working there saying ' look what I was doing with my life since college.' It did hurt TBH but it is ALWAYS better to be employed!

I have a job much less enjoyable now, since doing a degree.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    People who laugh at someone who have a specific type of job are stupid. Especially if the person has no job themselves. At the end of the day, having a job, you are earning money and the other person isn't... you should not feel ashamed.

Totally agree.

I worked at McDonalds part-time when I was an A-level student, for 2 years. Years later a bunch of stupid over-privileged snobs laughed at me for it, but so what? It paid my rent and gave me the freedom to move out of home and become an independent young adult.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's been a problem since the eighties with people frowning on McJobs. Though personally I would never look down at someone doing that kind of work, it's not like they're teachers...
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must take a great deal of inner strength to be able to put up with working at MacDonalds without going on a killing spree. I would not last a single shift working there.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CareerGuru wrote: »
    Nothing embarrassing about paying your own way in life.

Agreed. Nobody should be embarrased about doing honest work
  • slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A job's a job so be proud of yourself, you are providing for yourself independently.

Having said that I would only use it as a stop gap. You should train to get other skills and if you're going to do that do it now, otherwise there is a strong chance you won't get funding for any training you want to do.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing embarrassing about working in McDonalds. You're doing a job and getting paid for it. Being one of their customers? Yeah, I'd keep THAT one quiet.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Those guys work hard, they haven't got room to breath - total respect to them.
    SULLA wrote: »
    Agreed. Nobody should be embarrased about doing honest work

As an ex-employee I agree with these posts. It's hard work but any work is better than none.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A job's a job - as long as you're paying your way, day by day, if you're able, no job should be beneath anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its good that so many people on here are replying in a sensible way, however in the real world as that mcjobs wikipedia page implies, you will find many people ready to put others down for working in such a job.

I find many people also consider jobs in places like tesco to be embarassing too, whilst you could be earning less money as a tea boy or receptionist but get more respect for having that job for some reason.

I am sure many people have heard someone be insulted by saying they would probably be "flippin burgers" in a years time.
    I
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's gotta work somewhere. Unless you are out of work, obviously.

I don't think McDonalds should be stigmatised. Just say that you work in the catering industry.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to see it as an aspirational job if you're already in better-paid employment as the future prospects of promotion may be limited compared to, say, and office job of some kind.

A management job may be a different matter but either way least the uniforms are less embarrassing than the nylon sailor suits they had when I worked on the quarterpounder grill while taking my "A" Levels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is at all. And I go into McD's from time to time and think the service and food is good.