Going to the cinema alone

SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
Forum Member
Is it weird to go to the cinema alone? I have spare time in the afternoons and i'm thinking of going often, but im worried people will think i'm weird! :o

Comments

• babinabababinaba Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    do it, I've seen more and more people go to the cinema by themselves. It's not as if you really have to interact with anyone in the cinema, you're just sitting watching a big screen. I would if I wanted to go and didn't have anyone to go with.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares what people think. If you want to go go. My wife used to do it before children came along.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not an especially social event so it is sometimes better to go on your own. Nothing at all weird about it.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anyone who likes to see the same films I do so I go alone. No shame in it at all.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolidSnake wrote: »
    Is it weird to go to the cinema alone?

No. I've done it a few times when I had some spare time during the day and there was something I wanted to watch that I knew the missus wasn't interested in. Big cinema only 10 mins walk away, too, so it's easy to just pop in...
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echo all the comments above. I often used to go to the cinema alone when either I was out working and had a few hours spare or if there was a film I wanted to see that friends were not interested in. No problems, you are there to watch a film not to have long conversations in the dark.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one will care. In fact you will probably find that you are either the only one there at all, or there are only one or two other people there on their own.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this last year. The OH was having a 'girlie evening' at home I had needed to make my self scarce. The cinema was only a short walk away.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    Who cares what people think. If you want to go go. My wife used to do it before children came along.
    This ^^^^
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Cheers everyone, don't feel so worried now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Not at all. There are always people along when I go, Even good looking people. Its not a weird thing, just don't go at a really busy time with lots of couples.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cinema isn't exactly the best place to go for a social gathering?

I think it's better to go alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it weird to go to the cinema alone? I have spare time in the afternoons and i'm thinking of going often, but im worried people will think i'm weird! :o

buy 2 popcorns and people will think your with someone....sit next to someone too for added effect
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Who is going to notice? Folk are going to watch a film in the dark.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that this question comes up every so often on DS. I'd love to know the breakdown of people who think it's weird if you go alone - is it primarily youngsters for example ?

I only ever go alone, save for the odd time that my sister wants to go and see the same film.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    buy 2 popcorns and people will think your with someone....sit next to someone too for added effect

Then start fondling the person next to you in the middle of the film. You never know you may get lucky...

Or arrested ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP i go all the time, half the time there is a handful of people sitting on their own, i go that often that when someone recommends we see a film together i find it really annoying, its my time.

Im a very social person but going to the cinema is my little escape, even if it is alone, bliss!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the cinema alone in the afternoon you will often be the only person in the cinema anyway!
    Personally I quite like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I even went alone in my pyjamas once ( and a coat)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    My wife used to do it before children came along.
    Tell me about it;)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    No, Not at all. There are always people along when I go, Even good looking people
    What a weird statement.
    It's good to know that it's not just ugly people who go to the cinema alone.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that this question comes up every so often on DS. I'd love to know the breakdown of people who think it's weird if you go alone - is it primarily youngsters for example ?

I only ever go alone, save for the odd time that my sister wants to go and see the same film.

Your right it is, I rather go alone, you don't talk to the ppl you are with for 2 hours anyway
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often used to go to the cinema alone, I find it easier to enjoy the film as you're not worried about whether your companion is enjoying it too. Also, I was trying to find a horror film which scared me (that failed, even alone!)

There is a cinema being built within walking distance of our house - so I'll probs start going alone again soon. I like the cinema, OH doesn't! :D
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is weird going to the cinema on your own, if you do, everyone will be thinking "loner" or that you've got no friends. A film is to be enjoyed and discussed afterwards. It's sad to go and see a film on your own.

I've only seen two films on my own and wouldnt do it again.

If you do have to go on your own, sit next to someone else so it appears your not alone
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

No one will care at all.

If you are worried just turn up as the film is about to start (i.e. missing the 20 mins of ads and trailers some show beforehand from the stated 'start time';) if you feel embarassed or shy. Once the lights go down and the film starts no one will be any the wiser.

If your cinema allows you to reserve a seat book an aisle seat - so you don't have to disturb anyone on arrival.