Options

Feline Lactulose

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
Forum Member
✭✭
Any vets on here?

My cat has lactulose to help her go to the toilet. At the moment I am buying it through the vets at £7 for a tiny bottle.

Is all lactulose the same as its £3.99 for a huge bottle at the local chemist and I'd save a fortune doing it that way if that is the case?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Hi there, take the cats bottle to the chemists with you and they can check it is the same stuff, assuming it has a label on it? I think it is, my 'human' stuff says each 5ml spoonful has 100% weight lactulose solution in it, if the cats one says that it is the same. I am pretty sure it will be the same, just a smaller amount to be given to the cat obviously :D

£7?..rip off merchant!
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check the various pet store websites to see what the best price is. Then ask the vet for a prescription. Currently they can not charge for the prescription, but can charge for their time writing it or insist on a consultation before writing the prescription. However, you can call around all the local vets to see who charges and who really wants your custom.

If it is the same as the human version, then get it. One of my dogs has Piriton on a regular basis. £2 odd from the chemist for 30 tabs, or £4 from the vet for 10. Can anyone say 'rip off'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys - gonna take the bottle to the local chemist. I know its a non prescription item but the vets still charge as if it is.

Cystaid is my next item on the hit list to find cheaper :-)