Options

Love and Monsters: Rate

Comments

• Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Absolutely abysmal. Loathed it then, and still do. This kind of peurile trash doesn't deserve to be called Doctor Who.

Shame. Doctor Who has always done puerile trash so well...
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame. Doctor Who has always done puerile trash so well...

I always thought the titular character in The Green Death acted quite childishly.
  • Options
    TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Really? The Doctor's Daughter made me vomit. :(

I didn't mind it. It was a good story, but The Doctor's Daughter (the character played by Georgia Moffat) was a bit cheesy. Other than that, I thought it was good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    I don't understand why Love & Monsters gets singled out for such bile. It wasn't the worst episode that year or even that fortnight (hello, Fear Her). It's character led and doesn't really feature any running up and down corridors, doesn't entirely succeed in its aims and Peter Kay mercifully isn't in it as much as your memory probably tells you.

I just created the thread to see what other people think. Love & Monsters is the only episode I haven't liked. I even liked Fear Her to an extent. I don't think it was too bad. I'm just not fussy I suppose.:o As long as its Doctor Who, I'm happy :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »
    Awful for me.

Not the worst episode ever but probably in the bottom five along with Aliens of London, World War II, Tooth and Claw and Rose.

Tooth and Claw!!! :eek::eek:
    I loved that episode!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Tooth and Claw!!! :eek::eek:
    I loved that episode!

I enjoyed it too. I have no idea why it always seems to be rated so poorly. It was spooky, quite interesting and atmospheric. I can think of much worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind it. It was a good story, but The Doctor's Daughter (the character played by Georgia Moffat) was a bit cheesy. Other than that, I thought it was good.

It was horrible. I despised the Moffat character, absolutely hated her. I loathed the whole idea of it, with Tate trying to convince the Dr that he should regard that creature as his daughter. It was gormless, sentimental trash, topped off by one of Tennant's most stomach-churning, eye-bulging speeches at the end.

I was gutted when she was revived and flew away in a spaceship! I thought 'oh god, please don't let her reappear in the future!'.

UGH! :(
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent episode. And have all the people who are voting L&M Worst Episode Ever actually seen every episode of Doctor Who since 1963? Even if you don't like L&M, there are surely a lot worse episodes.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    It was terrible; but not as bad as Fear Her... Shudders.

Series 2 was a bit of a dud in all honesty.

Nothing is as bad as Fear Her, not even The Twin Dilemma and Timelash from the Colin Baker era
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent episode. And have all the people who are voting L&M Worst Episode Ever actually seen every episode of Doctor Who since 1963? Even if you don't like L&M, there are surely a lot worse episodes.

Adam, you sometimes annoy me with your posts - don't take that personally :) - but this one I totally agree with. I enjoyed Love and Monsters. It was a far different episode to one we're used and one I can watch again - and have done :)
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol. I voted Good because I actually enjoyed it a lot more than many other pre-Moffat episodes. The monster was a bit crap but the actual story and dialogue were good. Nicely played by all the guest actors too.

Worst episode for me would be something like Voyage of the Damned, End of Time (x2), Last of the Time Lords, anything with Slitheen in it. The Doctor's Daughter is significantly worse than Love & Monsters.
    I like all those episodes more than Love & Monsters. Just goes to show that people do have significantly different opinions ;)

Me too - In fact I re watched Voyage of the Damned this afternoon and thought it was a damn sight better than A Christmas Carol. Also End of Time comes in for a lot of criticism and I don't know why :confused: I thought both parts of it were good.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't vote worst episode ever as I haven't actually seen the one with James Corden in it and I suspect that that one may have been worse:eek:. But Love and Monsters was dire to say the least.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Didn't like L&M at all and voted awful - if I didn't include the Christmas Specials then it would have definitely got Worst Epsiode Ever, but I have to give that award to The Runaway Bride which was unbareable and way, way beyond awful.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    I don't understand why Love & Monsters gets singled out for such bile. It wasn't the worst episode that year or even that fortnight (hello, Fear Her). It's character led and doesn't really feature any running up and down corridors, doesn't entirely succeed in its aims and Peter Kay mercifully isn't in it as much as your memory probably tells you.

What was wrong with Fear Her?:confused:
    Ok, its not the most riveting of stories and not one that you would opt to watch over and over, but as a one off it was ok!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Nothing is as bad as Fear Her, not even The Twin Dilemma and Timelash from the Colin Baker era

The worst ever is the film (and I don't mean the Peter Cushing ones!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    What was wrong with Fear Her?:confused:

Uh...Hello? Olympic torch? Worse child actor in the world?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it too. I have no idea why it always seems to be rated so poorly. It was spooky, quite interesting and atmospheric. I can think of much worse.

It's Rose that I can't bear in it, and her constantly trying to get Queen Vic to say that she wasn't amused. I think it was about that point that Rose started to become, in my eyes, really arrogant and annoying to watch.

:(

It was a close call between that and "The Long Game". That was only redeemed by Simon Pegg being in it :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »
    It's Rose that I can't bear in it, and her constantly trying to get Queen Vic to say that she wasn't amused.

I did find that amusing though :(:o

Her and 10 are unbearably smug together though.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love and Monsters is a mixed bag for me.

I think the concept is interesting, even if it doesn't completely work, Elton Pope is a superb character, one of nu who's finest one off characters, the music is wonderful, the twist about Elton's mum touching, and the closing scene, Elton to camera, sums up the enduring appeal of Doctor Who in a few simple lines better than whole books have managed to do.

But yes, it has many flaws - Peter Kay's character both in human and non-human form don't really work (the latter being laughably poor), and other than Ursula, the other members of LINDA really come across as being quite an uninteresting bunch. The other issue is that later Doctor Lites still manage to make you feel like the Doctor is at the heart of the story, whereas in here his appearance near the end actually seems to jar the story quite badly tonally.

Still, overall, for all that it doesn't succeed on a lot of levels, I admire what RTD was trying to do with this, and would probably rate it a 6/10. In the context of this poll, I voted average, though I actually like it a lot better than most of the story's in series 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was forced to vote Excellent.....because the option to vote "one of the best stories ever" was not there :(

Well those who know me on this forum are full aware what I feel about this episode.....I could write an essay on it brilliance. But the best way to sum it up, and in fact like Muttley often says, something that sums up Doctor Who as a whole, is Elton's Speech at the end. The whole story was was very different to what we had seen so far....it was daring of RTD to try something so left field...a first Doctor lite too...a love letter to the shows fans...as well as the truth about the nasty side of fandom.....and how even though Elton was not just a passer by in the adventures of the Doctor, but in way he was us...who watch the Doctor and his adventures, and become so fascinated by him.....and Linda is this forum...pleasent most of the time...untill Victor/Absorabloff enters....

oh you see...I said that all i will is the reference to Eltons' speech...butno...I really can't help myself, but talk about the brilliance of this story....love it. the weakest thing is Peter Kay, but not enough to detract from the story....and the fact that the story is all told from Eltons' perpective....the colourfulness of Peter's performance can be put down to that too...

Just love it!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love and Monsters was quite an interesting set up that works until the arrival of Peter Kay, which is when, in my opinion, it starts to go downhill a bit. Then when Peter Kay actually transforms into that Absorba-thingy I think the plot just sort of flies away to the deepest parts of the universe where no-one can really find it.

Saying that though, I do think Elton and Ursula were good characters and I did enjoy the first half, so I do still rate it quite highly and voted 'good' :)
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Uh...Hello? Olympic torch? Worse child actor in the world?

Ok but besides that!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that bad but gets extra points for ELO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that bad but gets extra points for ELO

Oh well you can't go wrong with a bit of ELO!!!!!!:D

I love how they are interwined into the story.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Oh well you can't go wrong with a bit of ELO!!!!!!:D.

Indeed....:cool: