Heart and the Continuing Hacking of Songs (merged)

Comments

• spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    digiwigi wrote: »
    ....until you hear your unteempth recording of We Built This City ending early...

Good predictions, digiwigi! :)

You know what's coming....

http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-its-starship-again/

You were correct....
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    spotify95 wrote: »

You were correct....

Spoti can I ask you a question, what is the point if this thread? What do you expect it to achieve. You have made a point and some people have commented. As you are no longer a heart listener why not just let it be?
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Spoti can I ask you a question, what is the point if this thread? What do you expect it to achieve. You have made a point and some people have commented. As you are no longer a heart listener why not just let it be?

I was hoping that someone from Heart would see this thread, and move their segue markers along a bit.
    I thought I'd take another quick tune in today to see if they have done anything about it - obviously not (if anything they've moved them even earlier) so maybe you're right, I'm just wasting my time moaning about something that won't change.
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping that someone from Heart would see this thread, and move their segue markers along a bit.
    I can assure you this thread has been seen (and laughed at). What you WANT to happen won't happen. Programming decisions are not made based on comments posted on an anorak board.
    I'm just wasting my time moaning about something that won't change.
    Hallelujah. Can we move on now please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were correct....
    I played your clip and can see absolutely nothing wrong with it. The phrase "We built this City" is repeated several times, indicating that the song is over, and then the station ident comes in at a perfectly appropriate point.

If you want to hear the song to the last millisecond then download it.
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    I played your clip and can see absolutely nothing wrong with it. The phrase "We built this City" is repeated several times, indicating that the song is over, and then the station ident comes in at a perfectly appropriate point.

If you want to hear the song to the last millisecond then download it.

The last millisecond? I don't want to hear every single millisecond!
    What I do want to hear, is the song up to the natural fade point so it doesn't sound ridiculously chopped.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63268905/We%20Built%20This%20City%20-%20Wave%20105.wav

This clip, from Wave 105, is about right. It is segued so that it goes into the outro, and plays the outro until it naturally starts to fade. Exactly the right time. From my calculation the segue is at 4'42 (out of 4'56)

Here is Heart's clip:
    It doesn't hit the end ramp (unlike the Wave 105 clip) and it crashes the vocals in the chorus. Nowhere near the natural fade point. From my calculation the segue is at 4'23 (out of 4'56) -> over half a minute chopped, and 19 seconds before Wave's segue (which is where the segue should be).

So that sums everything up. I'm not interested in hearing every millisecond - just interested in hearing something that sounds reasonable on air, that doesn't sound like it's been chopped.
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    sadly, things don't get much better- this was from the other night on all 80s:

http://www.mixcloud.com/mikerichardslistener/heart-suspect-fade/

they clearly have no respect for the song... shaving that amount off of the track!

I've listened recently and they've been chopping off ending here there and everywhere. Have you seen some of my clips on Mixcloud?
    By definition, I don't think they have much respect for any song - especially Jermaine Stewart!
  • GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Here we go again....................,..

I to just gave that clip a spin and it sounded pretty near perfect.

Spotify - how do you cope when you go clubbing?? I have visions of you glarring at the jock shaking your head as he mixes!!

Surely, in the most respectful of ways you have to knock this on the head now.

Heart quite rightly aren't going to change what they do because of an internet forum and for the 9th (yes really) 9th time Heart don't use next track markers the presenter / tech-op hit the actual start buttons. The idents/sweeps don't even play in from the same playout system as the music so it's not possible to transition in auto during daytime hours.

Enough is enough!!
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiresome and sad at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not interested in hearing every millisecond - just interested in hearing something that sounds reasonable on air, that doesn't sound like it's been chopped.
    If the clip I listened to is typical of Heart's segues, then I think they are perfectly reasonable to all but the most obsessive-compulsive listener. And you can't expect any radio station to cater for the obsessive element amongst its audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now I am positive you are taking the piss here.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Now I am positive you are taking the piss here.:rolleyes:

Nope. That was the segue from Nick Snaith earlier this afternoon.
    Yes, I may be striving for perfection with segue markers; obviously this isn't going to happen! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. That was the segue from Nick Snaith earlier this afternoon.
    Yes, I may be striving for perfection with segue markers; obviously this isn't going to happen! :(
    Seriously - and I intend no offence here - you need to get some help in dealing with this obsession. Listening to this radio station is clearly causing you a great deal of anxiety and unhappiness (earlier in the thread you admitted that you got so angry on one occasion that you broke the remote control) and yet you keep on listening and obsessing over every perceived imperfection.

There are hundreds of radio stations out there. Find one that makes you happy.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No kidding does he need help.

You're talking about these cheesy disposable 80s pop songs like they're precious works of art that must never be tampered with! We're talking about Jermaine Stewart and Starship here, not Beethoven's Symphony number 6. :eek:
    Forum Member
    No kidding does he need help.

You're talking about these cheesy disposable 80s pop songs like they're precious works of art that must never be tampered with! We're talking about Jermaine Stewart and Starship here, not Beethoven's Symphony number 6. :eek:

That's because Heart wouldn't even play Beethoven! If you want to hear Beethoven, Classic FM would be the place to go, or some other classical music station. We're talking about Heart playlisted songs that regularly get the chop. Hence the title of the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because Heart wouldn't even play Beethoven! If you want to hear Beethoven, Classic FM would be the place to go, or some other classical music station. We're talking about Heart playlisted songs that regularly get the chop. Hence the title of the thread.

Oh dear, you REALLY don't get it do you?:rolleyes:
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    28 pages of thread that is a complete & utter waste of time. Heart do not take notice of radio enthusiasts/anoraks call them what you like. Basically if you don't like what they do & I don't by the way) don't listen to them. Heart is not worth getting stressed over.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    28 pages of thread that is a complete & utter waste of time. Heart do not take notice of radio enthusiasts/anoraks call them what you like. Basically if you don't like what they do & I don't by the way) don't listen to them. Heart is not worth getting stressed over.:D

And doubtless there will be another 28 pages of the same crap and appalling clips of "dodgy" segues.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, you REALLY don't get it do you?:rolleyes:

Ok. Apart from criticising all of my links, and moaning about the posts I have put up (about the early segues), what have you contributed to the discussion about Heart, and their shortening of songs? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing apart from pointing out that there is frankly nothing wrong with most of them. Others (including people who actually make a living out of radio presentation) have also pointed out the same thing.

No amount of moaning on here will make Heart or any other station change it's "segue markers".

But as that has been pointed out to you daily for the past few months I doubt you will take any notice and will continue to record these and post them here. Is that even legal by the way?
    Forum Member
    Nothing apart from pointing out that there is frankly nothing wrong with most of them. Others (including people who actually make a living out of radio presentation) have also pointed out the same thing.

No amount of moaning on here will make Heart or any other station change it's "segue markers".

But as that has been pointed out to you daily for the past few months I doubt you will take any notice and will continue to record these and post them here. Is that even legal by the way?

If it isn't legal then ajm and Mikes Mike will also be breaking the law, as I'm not the only one posting clips from the radio, about their segues!

And saying that there's "nothing wrong" with chopping 0'40 - 1'00 from the end of a song? I beg to differ!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And saying that there's "nothing wrong" with chopping 0'40 - 1'00 from the end of a song? I beg to differ!
    That's something that we could debate for months, and never reach agreement on.

But the essential point here is that Heart is entitled to chop the songs it plays in any way it wants. If you don't like it then don't listen to Heart: there are many, many other radio stations for you to enjoy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Spotify, I havent made a comment for a while, but I think we have come to the point of diminishing returns regarding this thread.

You yourself know that I have agreed with you about some, I repeat some dodgy segues on Heart, as well as defending you when some posters were being very rude, but this isn't doing you any good. Take some advice from a Mother who's two kids sometimes refuse to let things go. There are some battles you simply can't win, and this is one of them.

You are of course entitled to your opinions and rightly so, but really my friend it's time to move on and discuss other issues.

I have noticed that in the past you have been ridiculed and insulted unfairly so, but I see no evidence of that recently, so lets agree to disagree on certain points and move on.

You sound like an intelligent person, so why not turn your focus onto other subjects we can all discuss.

Have a good day.
  • GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Well said George :o)
This discussion has been closed.